TAMI And TNT shows together on blu-ray - December 2, 2016.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dee Zee, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream Thread Starter

2. Dee Zee

And I see on Shouts' web page if you preorder now you get it two weeks early and comes with 2 replica posters of the original shows while supplies last.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is a huge waste in Blu-ray because there's nowhere near 1000 lines of resolution in these kinescopes. After producer Bill Sargent's company went bankrupt, I think all the original elements got scattered a long time ago. Even if you could retrieve the original French 800-line 1964-1965 videotapes, there's not nearly enough image pixels there to justify HD. Heck, it's not very good SD.

[​IMG]
    Electronovision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

What's interesting to me is that there were leftover pieces from these shows that have never been seen due to legal reasons. I'm curious to see if they'll restore all those lost performances to the new releases.

4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

It's still too bad they can't at least "restore" the video look using that LiveFeed Video Imaging process from a few years back. The results were amazing:

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

And another:

MikaelaArsenault and Dee Zee like this.
  6. Dee Zee

We're either of these two shows filmed by any chance??

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Before I started reading, I just wondered whether it wouldn't be a grainy mess. Post #3 refers. :)

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm not even knowledgeable about the industry like you are, Vidiot, and I had already assumed that the increased resolution of blu-ray would be wasted on this release. That being said, if someone wants both the TAMI Show and TNT Show I can see this release being worthy. If I am not mistaken, the TNT Show has only previously been available as a "grey market" dvd and I would assume that Shout would be able to provide a higher quality product than that. For those who already have the TAMI Show dvd, though, perhaps picking up the soon-to-be-released TNT Show dvd is more sensible.

9. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, all I an say is that you see what James Brown's segment looks like on my computer... and I'll take whatever increase in resolution they're willing to give me for my source material...! :)

(Thanks for the compliments, Chip!)

- Kevin

MikaelaArsenault and Chip TRG like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

True: this could potentially be a chance to at least restore both shows to the best they could ever possibly look, even if only from a fine-grain B&W print or maybe even the B&W negative. It is possible to selectively sharpen and noise-reduce even kinescopes to make them look acceptable, even though it would never be anywhere near true high definition in terms of resolution. But I'm just skeptical that Shout Factory will spend the time and money necessary to do this well.

Naw, as shown in the diagram, the Electronovision process used big image-orthicon video cameras, captured to high-res videotape. Later, the videotape was edited and transferred to 35mm negative (through a kinescope machine), and then prints were made off the negative and sent to theaters. Nothing was shot directly on film, like the DuMont Electronicam process.

Producer/entrepreneur Bill Sargent was a fascinating guy, and he correctly predicted that someday, it would be possible to electronically capture stage and theatrical productions and then project them to paying audiences. His problem was that he was about 50 years too early.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  11. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Even if the video may not be the upgrade we would all like it to be I'm wondering if the audio might be significantly improved.

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I will be at least satisfied that both of these shows are in circulation today, whether the SD resolution is on Blu-ray is debatable. There are so many programs truely unseen or unavailable today on DVD.

I wish that at minimum so of these "Rights holders or sitting on physical older programming" would make some decision to release for once instead of squabbling or letting it all rot away! Too late then to make a few cents on the property!

13. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

the fact that they release the Tami show without a Blue ray first is really crappy

14. Dee Zee

Shout Factory made a big deal about the HD transfer from 35mm film elements that were created from the Electronovision video when the TAMI show was issued on DVD in 2009. So I'm hoping the blu-ray will look good for what it is and maintain the proper aspect ratio which again according to Shout is widescreen.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It is possible that the 35mm mag tracks survive, but I think when Electronovision folded at the end of the 1970s, a lot of the negatives and master tracks were scattered to the winds. Phil Spector was involved with these shows, so it's possible he retained a copy for his archives, but I suspect he has bigger things to worry about these days.

In a lot of cases, it's not so much a question of how much money they're going to make. Sometimes, a project is owned by three companies (or families), and if all three can't agree on how to split the money, then the whole thing ends. As one example, the Batman TV shows didn't come out on TV for 50 years, and it turned out it was a dispute between Fox (who owned the show), Warner Bros. (who owned the character), and William Dozier's Greenway Productions. It took years to sort out the legal problems, but one guy eventually did all the legwork and pulled it off:

Why We’re Just Now Getting the 1960s Batman TV Show on DVD »

Batman was a very famous show that had a huge cult following. Trying to do this with a smaller show that might only make a few thousand dollars will be tough. And the sales market for DVDs and Blu-ray is small these days.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    longdist01 likes this.
  16. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Nice to see the TNT Show getting a release, but it does seem a bit of a waste for Blu-ray with what are essentially Kinescopes.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

This just in: Sting has announced he will be skipping this release and continue to watch the VCR tape he's had for years.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

While these will see only minor improvements via Blu-ray, I don't see any problem with scanning the extant film elements in HD and putting this out looking as good as possible. We can just pretend it's a "Superbit" DVD essentially.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Well I, for one, will buy the BluRay for a clearer view of a 19 year old go-go dancing Toni Basil.

Maybe someone located the 800 line tapes. I wonder if there is any working equipment to play them?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Off topic, but has anyone verified who this hep cat in the audience at 1:37 in the TNT trailer is? I dig the look.

[​IMG]

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's the funniest damned thing I've seen all day -- thanks for that!

22. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

almost looks like frank zappa

longdist01 likes this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is this coming out on DVD as well or just Blu?

24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Almost? I'd lay money on it.

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

future Father of "Moon Unit"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.