Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

18 Hz pipe organ notes is when things vibrate that didn't vibrate before. Listening to a live pipe organ with 32 foot pipes is amazing. The pews are vibrating like those massage chairs at a state fair exhibit booth.

2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'd prefer the SP-10 to be reintroduced...

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Genuine new old stock Mk5s are going for nearly as much as the new model! On what basis do you assume they are almost as good as the new model ? The one comparison that I found on YouTube (now removed) suggests differences are likely to be substantial. For the money mk5 goes for I think there are far better belt drives out there. Technics should have called this something else and changed the look because under the skin there appear to be little similarities to the old SL1200.

4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

U can get a brand new mk5 on Amazon thru Amazon.com for 460 bucks , !! They are brand new old stock

5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Sure about that? I see Temporarily Out of Stock, but I wouldn't expect more to come in.

6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ya it popped up recently and they will get them .. Why else would they put it up If they have none Makes no sense Amazon is usually pretty good about that kind of stuff Have ordered stuff out of stock before

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Amazon is not that great about this kind of stuff.

Trusted data-tracker CamelCamelCamel indicates the last time Amazon had them in stock was 6 years ago
    Technics SL1200MK5 DJ TurnTable (B0000CE6R3) »

PhilBiker and jeffsab like this.
  8. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

You're dreaming of course. It might happen IF 10,000 radio stations suddenly decided to start playing records again. But wait, there's already a new deck for them.

jeff

9. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

When are the 1200Gs due to hit the street? I thought we'd be seeing/hearing them by now.

10. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

No, no you cannot. I wish it were possible, but it's not.

You can't get a new 1200MK5 for under 500.00 anywhere.

No way, no how.

Aftermath and BuddhaBob like this.
  11. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

Yeah, I wish I could find a brand new MK5 for $460! One of the few places that has new old stock is B&H Photo, and they're asking $1999 Technics SL-1210MK5 Replacement for Technics SL-1200MK2 | B&H »

Amazon always leaves old products on the site for years and years. It helps their marketplace sellers to have a page to list their items if they have one for sale (new or used), while maintaining the SEO ranking on the page

SamS likes this.
  12. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, if you're the type to read between the lines and are given to wild speculation, the G/GAE is a "Grand Class" component. Per Technics web page, there are at least 3 classes: Reference, Premium and Grand. There are no turntables in the Premium or Reference classes. Technics has certainly left the door open enough to introduce a new, or, reintroduce an old turntable either in the Premium or Reference classes. Now, we all know that's completely nuts. I mean really, we all know what happened when that nut on the internet petitioned to bring back the 1200. Boy did he get a slaggin'!

...................oh, wait a minute...................... they did.

:D

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

touche...very well spoken...we shall see what happens...i think i'll wait it out, although this is gonna get expensive..lol

56GoldTop likes this.
  14. motorcitydave

cool deal..you're one helluva friend...i dunno about majority of the performance though my fellow las vegan..you would have to do a side by side comparison to really know...and i mean in person, not through the interwebs...

15. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

If they come out with a Reference Class turntable, oh boy... :sweating: I think we'll be talking VPI Classic Direct prices, then. I would have to get a loan, sell off all my guitars/amps (which I ain't doin') and then, sign divorce papers as this :hugs: would turn into this :buttkick:.

16. motorcitydave

right i hear ya, which would make the 1200g look like a bargain. yeah i wouldn't do all that for a turntable either. i'm a bachelor so i wouldn't know...but i will take your word for it, lol.

17. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

What is a man without his dreams? And what is that deck?

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Apologies for the dumb question, but is Premium and Reference supposed to better than Grand class?

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, and that ad is like 4 years old. No one has ever paid their ridiculous price. Yet somehow that ad has given some people the illusion that is what their 12oomk5 is actually worth. Really want one? Japan has an endless supply of these in minty condition for around $600 shipped on ebay. Constantly. Go the source, I say. Since these table are know for being indestructible, why wouldn't a used one in mint condition be acceptable? You know, use the new car analogy. The minute you drive your brand spanking new Lexus off the lot, it devaluates $5k as a used car. Tear open the box on your new $2000 Sl1200 mk5 and it's now worth six bills.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  20. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

My dreams don't usually involve hifi equipment.;)

The 1200G of course.

jeff

21. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Unfortunately, they don't have the dealer network to sell Reference Class components anymore.

Sony has had a very hard time getting in front of that side of the market and they have many more dealers.

22. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Just a moments pause to mention more about the 1200 GAE.

Love switching this thing on. It's a two step process. First you give a clockwise turn to a circular on-off switch that feels like a fine watch. Just a soft and smooth click. Soft blue lights turn on. Then press down on the rectangular start/stop button. Nice clunk and the turntable starts silently and pulls to full speed in what seems just an instant. Check the strobe and the spinning platters displays a perfectly still blue imprint for 33 1/3. Perfect. Before starting, you will have lifted the cover which will float in an open position just high enough to allow you to change and cue a record. Place the record and slowly lift the tonearm. The tonearm moves straight up and stops. Gently push the toearm over the record, feels solid, and slowly lower the cue lever. Go slowly and it will very gently lower the stylus to the turntable tracking directly down to the leadoff grove. No,slam, no slide, just gentle accuracy. You're off. Turn off is just the reverse and is smooth and precise every time. Nice little turntable and a joy to use.

23. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Oh, I think they'll do okay.

[​IMG]

I think they're smart enough to figure ways around that.

24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Hmm, sounds very familiar...Where do I know this feeling from?
    Ah, yes, sounds exactly the same as using my 1210 MK2!:pleased:

Wngnt90, TEKWRX and Ghostworld like this.
  25. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

RPM

A great heritage to build upon. That's why I can't understand why some folks felt it needed to look different. Pretty damned lovely to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.