Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

And a book and a TV show.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Yes.

3. Fishman2

Fishman2 Forum Resident

They did the 50th anniversary re-issue of "Love me do" but cocked it up.

4. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Another plug for the books. I took a chance when they were first published and have not regretted it once. These books are wonderful. Great stories and photos of every stop.

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

There was the 30th anniversary reissue of the White Album. New packing only.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Yup the CD.

musicfan37 likes this.
  7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thanks for the affirmation. I obviously agree and wouldn't have even bothered bringing them up here if I didn't think they are something special. My Beatle buddies here pass things along I might not know about, so I try to return the favor.
    They certainly fill in the stories about the Beatles tours here in the US, so they are available at a reduced price at just the right time for us fans interested in "the touring years"

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I was completely scared off by the price when these came out. Nice to seem them priced like ordinary books, ordinary books.

9. Onder

Onder Senior Member

There is no doubt about the guitars used on Ticket To Ride. George Martin's production notes specifically say John played rhythm on Fender and George doubled the bass on Strat too. So the 325/Tennessean combo is wrong.

Lead guitar on What Goes On is Strat on middle pickup setting. At least to me it sounds spot on like that. Not sure about John's rhythm though.

When talking about Drive My Car I meant the riff guitar not the solo, sorry, should have been more specific. The riff is Stratocaster on neck pickup without a doubt. If I'm not mistaken George himself said he used Stratocaster for the riff.

Ondra

10. Glenn Christense

Yes, I sure am glad I bought this one. Not a waste of my money at all. :rolleyes: :D

Kermit27 and musicfan37 like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As posted earlier:

[​IMG]

Mazzy and musicfan37 like this.
  12. Yeah larger mini LP format in a clear sleeve.

13. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

It seems to me that the media that generally gives us what we want is print. There are so many excellent books about the Beatles. Why is it so difficult for film to deliver the same quality goods?

Glenn Christense likes this.
  14. Well books are created by thousands of different authors. A project section by the Beatles has four equal decision makers

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Glenn Christense and EddieMann like this.
  15. EddieMann

So, if we could eliminate the middle man (in this case the Beatles and their proxy) we might have something, film wise.

16. Glenn Christense

Yes, plus making a movie probably needs to be projected to make a significant amount of profit before they are given the go ahead whereas many of the books I love like Spizers, these books and the Beatles Gear,etc., seem to initially be created out of love and interest for the subject by the author's and if they make money, all the better.

Even though some of these books were quite expensive initially, I can't really believe these authors thought they were going to get rich, considering the time and effort they must have spent researching their subject matter.

Don't forget, the pre documentary hoo-ha talked about..."world wide research teams", probably working 24/7 digging under every bed and garage in the world to find all the fabulous hours of footage we have never seen before. :laugh:

These authors probably did much of the legwork themselves, basically on Beatle nerdist subjects that aren't going to ever make them rich. :D

edenofflowers likes this.
  17. Based on comments on these forums I think you'd never get anything made and released . Way too many cooks :tiphat:

18. RayS

My impression was that if Apple had their choice, there would be only "authorized" books about the band. I guess they have that level of control (more or less) over comprehensive films, so they exert it.

EddieMann likes this.
  19. Believe me, very few authors, especially Beatles authors in this discussion, don't make much at all. It's a labor of love. I know from personal experience and we sold a decent quantity

Now a very few of the big name authors may do pretty good but ever few of these climb up the biomselling charts

Mistermono likes this.
  20. Glenn Christense

No, I know. I'm sure Ray S. will agree also.

I have your book (hardcover and signed!) and Ray's book also, so I try to fully support the nerdist Beatles book author contingent. :D

I hope you guys are enjoying the lamborghini's I helped buy for you. :laugh:

By the way, I edited out the "don't" in your quote above . You may have time to edit it out of your post

Mazzy likes this.
  21. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

@Mazzy
    What is the title of your book?

22. EddieMann

I think you used the wrong emoji lol. :crazy:

Mazzy likes this.
  23. RayS

Having a niche book published is quite the experience. The first quarterly royalty check or two has 5 digits (on the good side of the decimal point), and you think this isn't bad at all. Then they start coming with 4 digits and you think you better get cracking on another book. Then they start coming with 3 digits, and you're really happy to have a day job (assuming you have one). Then the day arrives when there is a negative figure at the bottom of the statement - you owe them money (because of lost royalties on returns) - and what can you do but laugh?

Glenn Christense likes this.
  24. The Beatles England. 1982. @dbacon and I invented Beatles Tourism. :tiphat: Something we were actually told years later. :nauga:

RayS, MerseyBeatle and dbacon like this.
  25. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Found a copy today. It was not on the magazine racks, but at the front counter. So, be sure to look around. Oh, and my B&N membership worked for 10% off.
    [​IMG]

Wingsfan2012, ex_mixer and HarvG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.