Receiver sound changing from a simple cleaning?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chiliarches, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident Thread Starter

Howdy all.

I just cleaned the volume/tone control/selection knobs on a vintage receiver I own (Kenwood KR-4070) which was having issues with knob static and the right channel distorting or dropping out intermittently. I used Deoxit D5 and Deoxit Faderlube F5...

Well, the static and channel issues seem to be fixed, but now the receiver sounds DIFFERENT - darker and smoother. Is this even possible from a simple pot cleaning or am I just hearing things?

I am leaning towards the conclusion that I am just hearing things...

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You could be hearing something different or just imagining. We don't know you after all. But yes the volume and tone controls are often some of the worst offenders for introducing distortion. Years ago I had a Melos preamp with their Photentiometer which relied on a light. It was noticeably quieter and less electronic sounding. You probably should have your receiver thoroughly cleaned including contacts and probably serviced as well.

Agitater likes this.
  3. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

Yes, VERY possible.

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

yes i would say you are hearing sn improvement.
    i bought A kimber yellow mains cable.
    could not hear s difference.
    bought a H1-Cap power supply for my Naim amp.
    I heard the difference.
    you clean yesrs of muck off a Volume pot and you heard s difference.
    therefore there must be a difference,
    try cleaning the mains plug .
    pay attention to the fuse.
    i always hear a difference!
    i use brasso or metal polish.
    Armed with pipe cleaners and cotton buds try cleaning all phono sockets and plugs. use metal polish amd then contact cleaner.
    Always i hear a difference!!!
    Small things can make Big differences!!!

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. Chiliarches

OK so I'm not crazy...excellent...I should try to clean my receivers a little more thoroughly with Deoxit and see what happens!

Mr Bass - sorry for my ignorance, what contacts are you referring to specifically? Where the various interconnects and cables are connected or something else? I don't think I will buy a service for a $40 receiver (Craigslist!) but I don't mind cleaning a bunch...

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  6. Mr Bass

Yes the input and output contacts.

7. Chiliarches

Thank you sir.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

A sound conclusion I think. :agree:

9. Mr Bass

BTW you should also clean all the other contact surfaces and cable plugs including at the speakers if you haven't already done that.

10. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

Can volume controls etc be cleaned with suitable cleaners via the front panel of an amp or do they get cleaned from the inside once the lid is off (so to speak)
    Hope I'm describing this appropriately.

11. Chiliarches

From the inside.

12. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Years ago there was a tool that fit on the end of volume controls to inject cleaner through the front of the pot. Usually though, there are some openings on the backside of the pot where a cleaner can be spritzed, enough to get where it needs to go.

13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Most of the problem with older receivers is simply loss through pots, switches and interconnect jacks. Resistance and capacitance can develop. The reason you are hearing a darker and smoother sound may be that resistance and capacitance has been removed from the signal path where it didn't belong. Dirty pots and switch contacts can produce minor distortion at a very low level which can be perceived as an increase in treble. (a "fuzzy" artifact that's in the treble range) A properly cleaned amp or receiver can really sound more musical IMO. This I have observed. I would say your preamp is now operating to spec.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.