Amazon has difficulty with new reissues when "older" import reissues exist

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Paul Beatty, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm noticing a trend with Amazon, in that when an "older" import version exists, Amazon does not list a new reissue for sale. Perfect example: Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales. The other Sting reissues are listed. I've seen this recently with Breeders - Last Splash, Madonna - Erotica, The Cure - Head on the Door, etc.

Has anyone been able to locate the 2016 Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales vinyl reissue on Amazon?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

I think I've found the opposite. Only second-hand older editions are available once a new reissue is available.

Here's the new Sting album, available for pre-order. Here's the old one.

lightbulb likes this.
  3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    lightbulb likes this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I Googled "ten summoners vinyl Amazon", and clicked on the first recommendation.
    The Amazon page came up
    Click on the small link:
    "See all 2 formats and editions"
    Then the item titled "Vinyl, September 30, 2016" appears as available

Is this what you're looking for?

5. DesertIslander

DesertIslander Recidivist

I go to discogs.com to find the barcode, which often helps as different reissues usually seem to have different barcodes.

6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

The first thing I did was google but I didn't find it that way. Amazon has a horrible search engine so I google sometimes to find stuff on Amazon and it works often for me. Google is pretty awesome these days.

7. jrucker

jrucker New Member

It appears to me that Amazon has attempted to streamline its music store by combining different versions of the same album indiscriminately.

Not working.

So...newly remastered/gold/import/SACD/audiophile versions of albums are clumped in with the regular issue albums, and I think that sellers are having a difficult time listing their product appropriately.

Finally the reviews are clumped together as well, which is fully inappropriate. If you find a newly marketed remaster of an 'old' album, you'll already find hundreds of reviews attributed to that album when the version has not even been released, yet.

Google does help, but Amazon has some work to do.

Daryl Broussard and Malina like this.
  8. Paul Beatty

Sorry, I should have been more specific - US AMAZON

9. lightbulb

...did this work for you...?

10. lightbulb

Yes, Amazon definitely needs to establish a system wherein various releases of the same title (and/or similar versions of) are listed separately.

That said, even if their site was instantly "fixed" tomorrow, and all listings were 100% "perfect" with all the product listed properly, I cannot imagine the old reviews ever being "cleaned up" and listed under the proper version.
    It's unfortunate, but Amazon's site will always be a "mixed up and muddled" listing...At least on past prior product.

Hopefully they'll devise the much-needed remedy for new listings.

Also - considering the nature of the beast - and human nature - some customer reviews are bound to get posted under the wrong version, anyway.

Why am I so pessimistic about this...?

Just a quick glance at the various "irreverent" comments on any music releases are self-explanatory.
    (How many times has a music reviewer given one star to a release, just because "Unhappy with delivery!"...?)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    John B Good likes this.
  11. Paul Beatty

Thanks for the help - have Ten Summoner's Tales in my hands.

12. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

How is it? Been looking for more reviews of these. One of my favorite artists so would love to get these if worth it

13. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Sorry to ask in the context of this thread, but can somebody help me locate Dave Brubeck's Time Out, 33 1/3 rpm from Analogue Productions released in 2015? I've search here and there on amazon without finding it, I actually came to the conclusion that amazon doesn't have it for sale. (That would be amazon US thanks).

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Algorithms + Too much unintelligent human involvement.

It's like the whole internet IMO :(

lightbulb likes this.
  15. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

It is a failed effort at dumbing-down the process. It works horribly when there are many different choices for the "same" product with smart consumers. It works great for toilet paper I'll bet.

16. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Amazon once had very, very good product listings, with proper release dates and product descriptions. Now, I don't trust them at all, even when I have the correct bar code. They outsource most physical product sales, except for the big ones.
    The packing used to be custom-made, if not very well padded, both for books and CDs. Now they (or Fulfilled by Amazon) use generic yellow padded envelopes.

If Amazon is making money, it's probably from cloud services (AWS), or people who just must have Cheez-It dash buttons.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.