The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. trd

trd Forum Resident

Sunday afternoon listening
    5-26-72, last night of Europe '72

Not that this show needs any introduction! On point playing that they throw everything they have in to

NorCal, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i listened to two from the vault, 1968 how, while waiting for my daughter to be born

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Boston Music Hall: 14 November 1978. I listened to set 2 the other day, very nice audience recording. They peeled the roof off that building like you'd open a can of soup, the energy of the band and audience comes through beautifully on this recording, and the energy is immense. The sound of the crowd at the end of GDTRFB is stunning. I miss that sound, being there and helping to create it. :shake:

4. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Red Rocks 7/8/78. Strange that the next concerts they played were right back at Red Rocks on August 30, and the second set jam from 7/8 would be repeated: Estimated>Other One>Eyes Of The World.

I'm going to go thru the July 78 box again sometime, but based on the first 4 shows my first impression is that it is not essential. A lot of those college shows from April were better than these. My .02.

5. US Blues

I think they went back to Red Rocks because they enjoyed it so much the first time, and they were heading East, so why not? Back in '78 there were very few shows at the venue, so they were likely able to get the dates they wanted with relative ease.

April '78 >>>>> May '77. Ask @Archtop.

6. ducksdeluxe

I just wonder why they didn't play the Bay Area at all from NYE77 until the From Egypt With Love shows in October. Very unusual for a full touring year.

NorCal and budwhite like this.
  7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

"La famille du Dead comprend 50 personnes et 4 tonnes et demi de matériel."

The Dead family comprises 50 people and four and a half tons of material.

The equipment is part of the family? :winkgrin:

ailgin, US Blues, NorCal and 2 others like this.
  8. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I've been away for a good month. On August 23rd I went to see Black Sabbath, a couple weeks later saw AC/DC and last week had to take my wife Adele to see Adele. Actually it was a great show. My listening has been on the hard rocking side as of late. But today I finally re entered the Dead zone. Had to work on a 4 hour tile/grouting home project. I went with Dick's Picks 7 as my soundtrack. Really an amazing release. A killer exploratory Playing in the Band. And many other jems. Grate to be back

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Congratulations!

ianuaditis and Ray29 like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Owsley talked to it, so... yes?

11. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I agree. I like the box a lot. But for 78 I like Dicks 18 and Daves 7 better.

wlove2372, NorCal and wavethatflag like this.
  12. US Blues

Hidden within that 4.5 tons of gear were plenty of clean hits. No customs agent would spend their life picking through it. :shh:

Billy_Sunday and budwhite like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's a really good release, but definitely the least interesting of the "small" box sets (at least from the 1967-1978 era). Fillmore West '69, Winterland 73, Winterland '77, and May 1977 are several steps above.

trumpet sounds and Dahabenzapple like this.
  14. ducksdeluxe

I will say that the 7/8 show is a really good rock and roll show. But the set lists don't have any variety. I'm not going to be listening to any 78 shows for a good long time. I think I've heard almost all of them at this point.

Probably back to the porch crusher for some early Brent shows soon, but I'll be mostly un-grateful for a while.

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

16. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

By way of Archive - 9.27.72 (Dick's Pick 11)

17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Next on my list for Dick's Picks after Dick's 19

Matthew Tate, Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  18. US Blues

27 September 1976. Rochester War Memorial- first time the boys broke up Help > Slip! > Frank, and to great effect.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. ducksdeluxe

9/28/75 was the first, actually.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

6-17-75 Winterland
    8-13-75 Great American Music Hall
    9-28-75 Lindley Meadows

21. ducksdeluxe

6/17/75 and 8/13/75 were played straight through-Help>Slip>Frank. 9/28/75 was Help>Slip, then TMNS. They got around to Franklin's Tower a little later. See below.

22. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I see! Reading is fundamental. :oops:

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FWIW, I think they stopped after Slipknot in the 75 show only because Jerry broke a string.

trd likes this.
  24. ducksdeluxe

And then they temporarily forgot about FT because apparently they were all tripping that day.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  25. US Blues

I should have been more specific in my post. 27 September 1976 was the first time they broke it up as part of continuous jam.

ianuaditis likes this.