David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. alek2702

alek2702 Forum Resident

Yeah, and one of them says how he loves the StS 2010 mix for being "loud, clear and brash when compared to the very dull 2916 remaster".. I wouldn't pay attention to those :D

obi, BlueSpeedway, tin ears and 2 others like this.
  2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

One of the amazon uk reviews which criticises the studio material mastering also says in the same review that the Nassau mastering is "good". Which IMO renders the person's opinion on anything irrelevant.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You can still "report" the post and explain why you want it changed.

4. BlueSpeedway

Or make good quality magnifying glasses cheaper :)

5. Batfish

Batfish Forum Resident

True, but one of those negative reviews complains that 'Diamond Dogs' and 'Station to Station' aren't loud enough - the latter is 'on the quiet side.' Not brickwalled enough, apparently. I'm very happy with the sound of 'Diamond Dogs' in particular. I make it louder by turning the volume up.

obi, TonyCzar, Rne and 1 other person like this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Good to know they will still be listening to Bowie in 900 years time! I wonder what format that will be on?:D

7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

The more I read this thread, the more I want the standalone CDs of Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, and Station To Station.

If someone can alert me when they are released, that would be fine.

driverdrummer and BlueSpeedway like this.
  8. dead of night

In 900 years, Diamond Dogs will have become a reality and we will hear them howl on the streets below. No need for formats!

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You can buy them on ebay now

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

And no one will know what that weird chuffing noise is at the beginning of Station to Station!

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Exactly. Some people seem to be afraid of turning the volume up, I don't know.
    I love Diamond Dogs, but since I only had the 1999 brittle and loud remaster I hardly ever listened to it. This new one is wonderful!

12. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I only had the chance to make it through parts of Young Americans and spin the remix of David Live and the original Station to Station.

Let me just say that they did a bang up job with the remastering in this set - at least if those are any indication. There may be some padding to this set, but it's a thing of beauty and the music is amazing.

13. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Qobuz has the 2016 remaster just like everyone else, the tracks are each labeled with (2016 remaster). It is just the "section title" that mistakenly says Maslin remix, just a typo, I imagine.

14. BlueSpeedway

Yeah. I don't like to be too negative about new releases but Parpingphone are real bastards not putting out at least those three at the same time, in jewel cases as before. Pretty disgraceful and mega cynical.

15. dead of night

Yea, who wants extra copies of David Live and Nassau, the mastering of which we already have anyway?

16. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Am I the only one who bought the album off of HD Tracks (24/96 - I wanted the reissues) and is having issues with the indexing? I loaded it onto my Pono and the artwork is all wrong. Diamond Dogs is a separate album unto itself and the artwork showing for the box is David Live! Is this a Pono thing or a file thing?

17. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I need to deep clean my copy of David Live (US op) but as I recall it's in nice shape so it should make for a fair comparison. Hopefully do a full shootout by the weekend.

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The reviews on Amazon are bizarre and disconcerting. They basically complain that the non brickwalled albums aren't loud enough. FFS!

19. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I know, right? What do they think the volume control is for?!?

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I should be getting my boxsets (vinyl&cd) from Amazon.co.uk on thursday or friday.
    I decided to get both this time as I did the same with the first box (Five Years 1969-1973).

Yesterday I got email notice from Amazon.co.uk about problems with the delivery.
    Amazon had dispatched my preordered sets last friday, but there were some problems with UPS as they had somehow lost my package,or atleast so I was told. As I received email, they had already started the dispatch for replaments.
    I talked with Amazon customer-service via the chat and they were really sorry for the happened thing.
    Luckily they promised to send the new sets on expedited delivery, so I can get these within the original shipments (which lost) timeframe.
    Never had this kind of problem before, so of course I got a little weird feeling on this.
    I briefly mentioned this yesterday, but decided to delete my post as I wasn't sure if it would be necessary here.
    Looking forward to these sets arriving.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Runicen and 808_state like this.
  21. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

You mean Highresaudio right?:)

22. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Any chance "The Gouster" CD will be released individually? Aside from the 2016 remastered Diamond Dogs, Young Americans and Station to Station, that's all I'm interested in....all the rest is filler imo.

Turntable likes this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Remastering and cutting ain't free.

The subset of the CD-buying public who give two figs about a remaster of "Diamond Dogs" and "Station to Station"? You think there are enough of them to pay for everything? For anything? Jesus, everything is "remastered" these days. My mother is remastered. Nobody cares except everybody's respective cults.

Yet, there's now a potential vinyl and hi-res market out there now. But any project still needs help to stay out of the red. Certain titles, to be blunt, are not gonna sell themselves (Hi, "David Live"!), so you have a bundling/boxing/early-eager buyer strategy.

You KNOW those three titles are coming eventually. Either wait (like I did) for hi-res "Aladdin Sane" and "Pinups", or pay the ebay premium for "the three" discs, which, by the time you get a couple of discs and the book, you've outspent just getting the box ... and all kinds of strange people have touched your stuff.

barnaby likes this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

For Five Years, they stuck to their guns about what was going to be box-only.

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

When Digital Delivery Goes Wrong.

One big advantage to physical product is that it's relatively easy for retailers to set things right with their customers if something has gone wrong. It usually takes no more than returning the product.

Prior to Who Can I Be Now, I only had two digital delivery failures, and in the end, neither was addressed by the vendor.

* 7digital's hi-res "Aladdin Sane" was a chopped up, truncated mess. Only 1 song on the whole album was not partial. One song was literally only 7 seconds long. Of course, tech support blamed me. I downloaded over and over again. Same thing. When they finally found time to download it themselves, they believed. They issued me a coupon for any single title from their store. Elegant solution, right? Coupon never worked. They said "Oh, it must be a coupon for our UK store. Here, have this one." 2nd coupon never worked. It was all too much time and trouble. I ate the retail price and 7digital became my retailer of last resort.

* The Stones' deluxe YaYas (including original album, 5 bonus tracks, and performances by B B King and Ike & Tina)

Bought from Pono, and Pono's downloading software was not creating a file for each song but a folder for each song, and malformed at that - truncating at (IIRC) 40 characters a long string that included performer name, song name, number, etc. Tech support was no help, and I eventually used my mad skillz to figure out the download URL for each song, executed each one individually as a "Save As...", and directed the output to an alternate folder. Got it all. I can't say Pono was NO help - hovering over a downloading title in their PonoMusicWorld software displayed the URL that was supposedly "getting" the music for me. So their URLS "did" "work". (And I had DSL in those days, so I didn't have to move fast...)

barnaby likes this.