Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

The US is not the world.

I am going to have that on my gravestone.

2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Most of the bootlegs I bought in the UK up to the mid-1990s came from the US...

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Are you Morrissey?

;)

Bender Rodriguez and superstar19 like this.
  4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I don't doubt you.

Many seem to come from Japan nowadays.

5. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Has he said something like that?

Doesn't stop him from living in the USA...and why not? Great place to live "the land of Coca-Cola" (B Dylan.)

:)

7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I for one resent all the insider information doled out in exciting hints that make threads like this fun to keep up with. And I think I speak for everyone.

NumberEight and Mbd77 like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

bobcat likes this.
  9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

None of these box sets use cd-rs.

All factory pressed. Discs are in plastic sleeves.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  10. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Time to put this thread back in the fridge

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, and really all the info you have given on these topics. (Not that you know anything.)

Mbd77 likes this.
  13. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Just press "pause" -- a Blood On The Tracks big box might be right around the corner, or a Gospel Years box, or Supper Club, or Bromberg sessions, or...or...:agree:

14. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

at least it is a sigh of relief that it wont be another 60s era set ..

streetlegal likes this.
  15. HominyRhodes

My picks:

V.13: "John Wesley Harding" 1967 sessions, complete
    V.14: "A Tribute to Woody Guthrie" 1968 both shows, complete
    V.15: "Nashville Portrait" 1969 sessions, incl. J. Cash, complete + "Elmer Johnson" live show w/The Band

Close out the 1960s, and then move on.

(??? V.16: "New Morning" 1970 sessions, incl. G. Harrison, complete???)

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

So, perhaps BL13 could be the Blood on the Tracks set after all...

Lars1966 likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

:D

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Yes, a hugely entertaining thread. Thanks!

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, this isn't a Bootleg Series release, so they probably don't want to muddy the waters by talking about a separate campaign that might not resume for another year now...

21. Sean Murdock

While I would love all those sets you listed, I don't want the Bootleg Series to be driven by EU copyright concerns for the next three years, and I don't think Dylan Inc. does either. If they don't release a BS-branded JWH set next year, they could release it as a modest "anniversary" release during some dead spot in the year if they think it's better than "copyright dump" material. I think the Woody shows and the remaining 1969 recordings are prime "Copyright Extension" material; and I think everyone at this point is itching to move on from the '60s NOW -- or rather, whenever the Bootleg Series resumes.

IronWaffle and Bonddm like this.
  22. HominyRhodes

By popular demand, I think BS Dream Edition Numero Uno must be a BOTT box (right?) I would be first in line.

Still, to me, the '60s material seems like unfinished business, and once they clear it up, then they can jump around all they want. IMHO, of course.

23. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

At this point, I am 1000% OK with whatever DylanCo wants to put out as Bootleg Series 13. I wouldn't have voted for Telltale Signs or Another Self-Portrait, and look how those turned out. The last few years have been such an embarrassment of Dylan riches, whatever and whenever is fine.

24. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Mbd77, please let us know definitely if the tracks fade in and out at beginning and end. That would mean the Leicester disc is sourced from Sony mp3's. If the disc is continuous with no break / fades that would mean it's sourced from the same tape that was used to make the mp3's but is not from the mp3's and therefore is an upgrade. The reason I ask is that I'm holding off buying it until I know for certain. Please listen to a few tracks and let us know definitely.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    bobcat likes this.
  25. Sean Murdock

The only thing from the '60s that I would call "unfinished business" would be the John Wesley Harding sessions -- which have never been touched in any way by the Bootleg Series, and remain completely unheard outside about 15 seconds of the unfaded ending of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight." For better or worse, all of the 1969-1970 sessions were covered by BS10, and whatever they didn't use will probably be deemed Copyright Extension scraps. I personally think they left at least a few true gems on the cutting room floor from ASP -- starting with the great 1970 take of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" -- but I don't expect another major ASP release covering this period. Not that I wouldn't buy it if they did, of course, but I do think that Jeff Rosen doesn't want to give the public the impression that Bob Dylan's only fertile period was the 1960s. They were rightfully proud of Tell Tale Signs, and I suspect they are itching to tackle something like that again. The Gospel Years, anyone? :agree:

But I agree that expectations for some kind of BOTT set are through the roof at this point, and they should just do it to release the pressure. It's starting to remind me of a few years ago, when everyone was saying "When are they going to do the Basement Tapes?!" every time the Bootleg Series was brought up. Then they finally did, and it was great, and we were all free to move on and obsess with other things. I suspect that whenever they finally release a BOTT / mid-70s Bootleg Series, the clamor from fans for a Gospel set will be impossible to ignore any longer.