Week of Audio Note UK Heaven!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marka, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marka

marka Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dave has a neat chart that identifies the VTA for vinyl based on the record label. The concept seems to work, according to my ears. We also did some interesting experiments with different thicknesses of mats, which I guess changed the VTA without having to do any adjustments.

Very cool.

2. marka

There was one "dog" that Dave brought, but that was great, because it showed how well the Audio Note equipment brought out everything, even the warts. Just awesome.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Amazing how such a little change in vertical tracking angle can have such a large effect on the reproduction of the bass tones. It's great, but it's also a pain in the butt and I'm too lazy to do it except on the VPI which has adjustable VTA, Dave made a chart for me to use and I do when I play that machine.

4. marka

Living with the OTO's here, a few more observations:

- my classical material seems to have new life;
    - bad stuff is bad stuff, no blaming the equipment - the good sounds really good;
    - there is other equipment I've heard that I think sounds great, but time and time again, the Audio Notes draw me in;
    - my wife says it sounds "okay" and "good", not a ringing endorsement, but instead of going into the other room to read when I put something on as she usually does, she stays in the living room.

5. marka

Alas... the time arrived...the Oto is gone.

6. marka

Warren needed to take the Oto to a "secret" location, but listening to it here really was great.

As mentioned earlier, I plan on trying out two step-up transformers, but it will have to happen with a non-Sig Oto. Then I need to conclude negotiations with "the Boss" on the timing. The question is no longer if, but when. When I'm ready, I hope to reclaim that demo unit, or get a demo unit without the phono pre.

I strongly encourage others to take advantage of Warren's offer to demo a unit in your home.

7. Steve Hoffman

Be aware that the OTO is very sensitive to the type (brand) of EL-84 used.. I have a nifty quad of Tele EL-84s in there right now and it changes the sound totally. Very interesting, I'll have to try my few other quads of EL-84s to see what happens. (No, I don't just have them lying around for nothing, I used to have a VOX AC-30 Beatles style amp and a Vox style Matchless so I had some quads of power tubes that I found back then. I'm crazy but not that crazy.)

IanL likes this.
  8. marka

Thanks all for your encouragement and comments.

It's been a few months since I last posted here, and I've had more experience listening to various Audio Note amplifiers as well as a Music First step-up transformer.

Today though , I took the plunge to permanent Audio Note heaven, ordering an Audio Note Phono SE Oto phono Signature!

My experience showed that I don't need to spend huge sums of money to have truly outstanding sound. Sure, I could spend much more and get even more improvement, but I'm pretty happy at the thought of owning something on the lower end of Audio Note's line.

And once again this site has proved invaluable. Thinking back on my search for speakers, I had already decided on my next speakers, though I was continuing to listen. But hearing about Steve's experience with his Audio Notes, I thought I ought to have a listen when I went to T.H.E. Show in Irvine last year. The rest was history, though I ended up with a new amp instead of speakers. But clearly, without the discussion here, I probably would not have happened upon the Audio Note room.

Again, I urge folks to take advantage of Warren's loan offer. Because of it, I think I ended up with a purchase that gave me more bang for the buck, as well as confidence that I purchase a unit that matched my needs.

J.Uotila likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Glad you took the plunge. I feel the OTO is the best deal in the entire Audio Note line. The care with which the thing is made is astounding, the sound quality is tremendous, the tube rolling possibilities endless.

Congrats and enjoy!

marka likes this.
  10. marka

Thank you for your posts on your own experiences with Audio Note. It got me to take a listen. I had expected it to sound good, but never expected it to change my path.

11. Steve Hoffman

Come on out and we can celebrate with Tacos, bring Robbie... :^)

12. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Congrats. You may just have an amp for life there. I don't know your speakers - do you have a link to some info about them? I assume that they are fairly easily driven since you drive with SET amplification?

13. marka

Thanks.

More info about my speakers:

BP2006TL | Definitive Technology® »

In time, I plan to replace them with Audio Note speakers, which was the original objective of my search, and Warren's loan to me. But Warren's advice that their integrated amp would have a greater impact on my sound was correct.

bhazen likes this.
  14. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

It seems to be a cinema system?

15. triple

triple Senior Member

The speakers seem to be invisible. That's good for WAF. ;)

16. marka

They can be part of one, if desired. They are my two Main speakers, part of my surround sound system (I have a number of multi-channel disks), that also get's used for cinema. But the rest of my surround system is made up of different speakers (see my profile for more info).

17. marka

Less than you might think:

Redirect Notice »

18. marka

Sound the trumpets!

My Audio Note SE Signature phono Oto has arrived at the port. I expect delivery today or tomorrow.

I plan on not leaving my house for awhile as I run it through breakin - I'm putting people on notice to not even THINK about asking me to go anywhere unless:

A. They have some something better for me to listen to; or

B. I need to attend a meeting I can't get out of.

Mother-in-law visits get an exemption to the policy.

Ahhhh.....

IanL and Richard Austen like this.
  19. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Enjoy:)

marka likes this.
  20. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

21. Steve Hoffman

Break that thing in, put a nice power cord on it!

22. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I would love to hear what your thoughts are of the sonic improvements when using the ISIS power cable from Audio Note, if you decide to follow that route. I am thinking of trying those in my system down the road, as funds allow.

23. sailfish

sailfish Forum Resident

Don.....I have a couple of Isis power cords. They are very good. I got an immediate improvement when I hooked it to my P3 silver.

24. Steve Hoffman

Warren has some Isis cords. I use Kubala Sosna Emotion power cords on everything.

25. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Have you ever tried the ISIS cables instead of the Kubala Sosna power cables? You must be impressed with the Kubala cables if you use them on everything, but it would be most enlightening to hear a comparison between the two power cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.