Graham Nash on David Crosby...we're done

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

The problem with Crosby is that he is still undecided about whether or not to cut his hair

dalem5467, ailgin, fr in sc and 7 others like this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Still having hair in his 70s is not a bad problem to have

ailgin, fr in sc, Shak Cohen and 2 others like this.
  3. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Allan can't sing anymore. You know that, right?

4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Read his book. He is loonie but he's very smart and funny. It was one of the best rock musician autobiographies I've read. His brain is not like normal people and I'd say that's a good thing.

ailgin, Kyle G and Geir like this.
  5. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Allan sang the **** out of Bus Stop at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago..

HoundsOBurkittsville and Bonddm like this.
  6. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Now he stands at a bus stop in Newport Pagnell.

ailgin, JRD and milankey like this.
  7. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

He considered it when he came down with the flu last Christmas...:hide:

JRD, Bonddm and Musician95616 like this.
  8. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

It increases his paranoia....

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Like looking in his mirror and seeing Graham Nash

fr in sc, Picca, ruben lopez and 6 others like this.
  10. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Clarke's vocals have declined to the point that his vocals were almost inaudible for the Hollies HOF induction. They brought in Adam Levine and Pat Monihan to handle some of the leads along with Graham Nash.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I don't think yer being cynical, you may just have a point there...good post:righton:
    Indeed, on the surface, neither Crosby or Nash have handled this whole situation well, or with much class at all.

fr in sc likes this.
  12. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

The fact that each member is so old, is Graham really willing to let David die without mending fences at some point...

zebop likes this.
  13. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

"Old Grumpy Men" starring David Crosby and Graham Nash.

14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Jeez... Nash was asked questions during an interview... He didn't release a YouTube video or call a press conference to lambast Crosby thinking that the world "had to have the details of this earth-shattering story." He was asked a question by an interviewer and answered it honestly... fulling showing his anger and hurt

Yes, his falling out with Crosby isn't as "relevant" as the tribulations as the "Housewives of Orange County," of course, but you stacked the deck too much. Your overall dislike of CS&N and Nash shines through, so it appears you're just looking for an angle to slam these "washed up old hippies."

I'm sure not the biggest CS&N fan, but they retain a lot of popularity, so there is a fair segment of the music-buying public (and a large share of this chat board) that find the state of this band quite interesting.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    coot, Tristero and Terry like this.
  15. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Exactly, David Crosby is an American Musical Visionary....I can scarcely think of anyone else who has successfully tied so many important styles of music together so well.

In his works (If Only I Could Remember My Name and his pieces on The Notorious Byrds Brothers) you'll hear musical influences from many varied locations and time periods... And he so wildly talented and fascinating still....
    His voice has remained very expressive and wonderful (in his 70s mind you) .... And finally his writing has been very good as of late too. My wife and I saw him live last year and were dazzled at how well he plays and sings.... Its like being in church for me.

He is also articulate and was discussing politics and America today very calmly and aptly. Not too much and not too little of it all either - just right.

Some of the stuff in Nash's autobiography about Crosby's trials and struggles with his health was too private to expose and in very bad taste finally. How many fans of CSNY really want to know about the sores of David's body?

Again, I like Nash and enjoy his music but I found it all disconcerting what he was churning out in his book.
    If someone was writing that much personal stuff about me for public consumption, I would have to do something about it, I think...

Nash was also bragging about his sexual conquests w the likes of Joni Mitchell as well - someone who should be monumentally known by now for much more than that type of tabloid tripe. Kind of bore actually..... I would rather think of Joni in terms of Court and Spark and Don Juan's Reckless daughter than in terms of Nash's memories of spanking her one afternoon........

SteveM, musicalbeds, coot and 3 others like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And I find them to be a bunch of old angry bores.

fr in sc and Joti Cover like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

All of it was in Crosby's own book which dealt at length with the transplant.

18. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

The real housewives of CSNY?

ailgin and fr in sc like this.
  19. Joti Cover

And that's cool but if Crosby had dealt with that subject already (in the confessional mode via his own book) then why did Nash go over the same ground once more in such graphic detail? Just seems unnecessary to me.

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Because the publisher encouraged more "dirt" in the book, which meant more Crosby-- and in general, more stuff about the others, since Nash's own life didn't have much of it after a point. I think Crosby was miffed by this and that's one reason they fell apart.

wallpaperman and Joti Cover like this.
  21. Joti Cover

I can agree with wholeheartedly with that, bRETT. Yes.

22. ohnothimagen

It was actually the great gory detail Crosby went into about his health issues -to the point of reproducing one of his pre rehab medical examinations- that was a big turn off about the Long Time Gone book for me. If anything, Croz went into much greater detail in his book than Nash did in his. Hell, then there's the interview (Rolling Stone, I think) from 1985 with David included in the CSNY Reader book that in itself is a tough read- it describes Crosby's health and emotional problems at that time as well. So it's not like any of this is hitherto unknown information or anything. Although I concede that mentioning any of that stuff at all is kind of gratuitous (I mean, we get it, David Crosby had a serious drug problem that had myriad negative effects on his physical and mental health etc) especially when it gets repeated again and again...

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I saw the clip in question but my impression was that Allan was seriously struggling. A tremendous shame but it really does appear that his voice is blown - not sure why but I guess it's not fixable so not nodes or something, i don't really know. I'm a massive fan of his singing.
    Allan was unquestionably one of the great voices of the 60s and wrote some brilliant songs and I would like nothing more than the original 5 piece Hollies (Allan, Graham, Eric, Tony and Bobby - strictly no crappy keyboard synth sounds) to do something together but they are also a pretty dysfunctional lot as far as I can tell. I find it very hard to understand TH and BE not going to the RnR Hall of Fame (even if it is bullsh1t imo) unless they were being uptight about something. The reason they gave (having to cancel a show months ahead) really didn't wash for me when what was at stake was international recognition of their 50 year career at what some would regard as the ultimate musical accolade for old-timers. Fans may have been disappointed at having to see them at a rearranged date but i'm willing to bet that the kind of oldies/fans who go to their shows would have been thrilled to see the classic line-up together (albeit overseas) one last time being honoured for their contribution to pop music history.
    On reflection maybe they were wise to stay away from Terry Sylvester making an ass of himself and the performance.

What's most surprising for me about all this recent CSNY shenanigans is that the only one to stay out of trouble not firing his big gob off is Stephen Stills. Crikey. Just goes to show how messed up this world is right now when Stills is the most stable and least likely to mouth off member of that "group". Well done Stephen.
    Stephen, I think you may need to wade in and sort out your backing band !!

Comet01, musicalbeds and ohnothimagen like this.
  24. ohnothimagen

Thirty, fourty years ago, Stills probably would have been right in there throwing in his coke-and-ego-inflated two cents at every turn, but Stephen has mellowed out considerably in his old age, and probably doesn't give a sh-t anymore. Me, I'm still holding out for the second volume of the Stills/Young Band, and hopefully Neil would actually see the project through this time!

ash1 and Joti Cover like this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Who should really care what old f-s with their real career long behind them feels about each other
    I don t being- being an old f-t I am:)

fr in sc, ash1, SteveM and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.