Ripper Street

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by winojunko76, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Could get this on Prime but I think I'll wait until the BBC shows series 4. In the autumn, I hope

2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just watched the last episode! Oh my...that escalated quickly!

Helluva cliffhanger!

3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I hope it is a cliffhanger!

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

What a great series this is turning out to be, Shame there's only one left.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Surprised PJ Proby's not made a guest appearance yet. :)

6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Jeez, I'm P.O'd! Been watching since the beginning and for whatever reason, my DVR failed to record the season finale! And it doesn't look like they're showing it again anytime soon. Grrrrr......!;)

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Very nice new season indeed. I could foresee the conflict that would surely arise with Reid coming back to work under his previous subordinate (Drake). I liked that they played that dynamic a little more intelligently than other shows might have in that, while Reid has a nose for investigation and is more often right than not, he nevertheless also screws up at times and is rightly castigated by Drake. But there's also jealousy there too.

I also love that they're still incorporating the latest (for the times) forensic science to work their cases, like fingerprinting, blood splatter analysis and refrigeration for corpse preservation. Great show.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Last episode of season 4 tonight on BBC2!

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Damn. That was pretty final. Hope not.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There will be another series (5), which will be the final one. It's not too far away (maybe end of this year or early next year) as it's been filming for a few months already.

smilin ed likes this.
  11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Thanks, but I meant something else and was trying to avoid spoiling it...

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

The final series kicked off this week on BBC2 and it's great to plunge back into sleazy Victorian London (I love the art direction of this).
    Jerome Flynn (Drake) is sorely missed but the rise of Jedediah Shine in his place is interesting (brilliantly played by Joseph Mawle - rather like Daniel Day Lewis's William Cutting in Gangs of New York):

[​IMG]

The first episode of this last run was OK but I wasn't really gripped. The weak spot for me has always been Adam Rothenberg's over-acted portrayal of Captain Homer Jackson.
    Anyway, I'll be there every week to the bitter end.

13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

2 hours, wasn't it? Saving it for the weekend.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well this (final) series was in fact very good. I watched the last few episodes on iPlayer this week. There was a nice little "bonus" feature at the end.
    Sad to see it go and I'm now eager to go back and watch the first series again! Bravo to all those involved.​

15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I really enjoyed it. The BBC shot themselves in the foot when they ditched it. I felt the last series was a tad more melodramatic than necessary though.

Deesky likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I loved it too. It was great, but I didn't really care for the final episode (unlike many, it seems). Nevertheless, a great show that will be missed.

smilin ed likes this.
  17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

They did look pretty cool when they were on the lam, though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.