Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Don't forget the '65 downloads...

2. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Hopefully it'll be half-price by June, as with all the other Dylan bootleg boxes a few months after release date.

3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

So the upcoming set will include a new *remix* of Manchester (aka Bootleg Series V.4), right? That will be, like, the fourth or fifth mix of that show that we've had since 1970 or thereabouts. Interesting.

4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Maybe they will include the '65 downloads for those who buy this set as well. Wouldn't cost them much more, and then it would be available to a much wider audience.

5. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

But who can wait for so long?

6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I am ridiculously excited. What a treat.

7. HominyRhodes

Over ten thousand page-views since five o'clock (CST) this morning. Crazy.:crazy:

The Beave and JL6161 like this.
  8. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Quite excited about Bristol as well. Those familiar with 'Away From The Past' will know that this is a really great show & will be nice to have this as a soundboard.

janschfan, The Bard, Mitchum and 4 others like this.
  9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Looks like it's starting out at half-price.

Eduardo Denaro and mikeja75 like this.
  10. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I expect that this is some protective measure to ensure the copyright maintains where it is. We've seen this before on the 50th anniversary for several years now. I also expect that it is cheap because very little work was put into cleaning up the recordings. But, my question is, could this be as cheap as it is because there are very few copyrights to license? If there are 18 versions of the same copyright, (say, She Belongs to Me) does each need to be licensed separately, or is it one and done?

11. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Apologies if I missed this answer already, but why is this not part of the Bootleg Series? I don't mind what they call the thing, but am curious at the logic.

12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It is what it is.

They could have called it "Jeff's Picks". Be thankful.

13. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

Just saw this ...wow!!!

As Lambchop used to say 'Thank you Bob":):D:)

14. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Just paid £87.38, which is about $115 in my world.

Although that's ridiculously cheap, I will still be looking for a cheaper pre-order....

15. HominyRhodes

It's to protect the copyrights of each individual sound recording. The songs themselves have always had copyright protection.

jdw likes this.
  16. I like it. Sympathetic EQ, natural sounding ambience, doesn't sound overly futzed with, faithful to how most of the shows I've heard from these gigs actually sounded. Kudos to Sony for the audio work they've accomplished on these last few archival releases in particular...

The Ole' Rocker and George P like this.
  17. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

With Amazon pre-orders (at least on Amazon US), you always get whatever the lowest price that they listed the product at before the shipping date. Even if you ordered at a higher price they will only charge you the lowest price that it was listed.

Also, don't be alarmed if they dropped of of Amazon for a little bit. As someone who pre-orders from them all the time, when stuff gets added to their site it will sometimes drop off only to show back up.

For those upset that it isn't being shown for sale in the US in a lot of places, it hasn't actually been officially announced on Dylan's page yet. Give it a second or two.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Will be very interesting to see which version of Stockholm they use. It's the last disc.
    I said elsewhere that despite being incomplete it is one of the best audience tapes I have heard
    from the vintage era, in terms of "feel."

There is a common version that is dull and thin. Then there was an upgrade around 2010 or so.
    Most people ignored it due to the fragmentary nature of the tape.

I am interested to see which version Sony used.

zongo and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Agree on all counts. I actually had a Beatles fan get mightily offended that I can't stand the recent live Beatles release due to the screaming of the girls, and that it was unbearable to listen to... he replied "it's a LIVE recording, what do you expect??" And I said I understand, but I've heard live recordings where the crowd screams aren't so up-front in the mix and CONSTANT, there's amazing live recordings out there...

Tom Schreck likes this.
  20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Do you know who you're talking to here? :tiphat:

21. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

No, licensing doesn't work like that, but you're right that they needed to publish this stuff this year to retain copyright on the sound recordings. By publishing them, they automatically fall into copyright. No need to pay a fee or anything like that.

I think the cost has been driven down by not making it limited (more units mean less cost in any business) and that they've had time to work out logistics, get the orders into pressing plants etc...as they knew this was coming due to the copyright changes in 2012. I think in 2012 when the copyright releases started -and a few subsequent years - things were still unsure: there was an independent review of the EU law in 2013-14 that could have prompted a change or reversal, but concluded that the current situation requiring recordings of 50 years or older to be published publicly in order to retain copyright is fair and legal. Now this situation isn't going to change anytime soon. It's in law and it's been reviewed.

It's fair to say the period of 2012-2014 were a case of the record company being reactive & trying to work out how to handle this. 2015 and more so this year, they've been more proactive and worked out how to both keep this stuff in copyright and make a commercial product from it.

zongo, jdw, PhantomStranger and 4 others like this.
  22. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Still learning the lay of the land.

majorlance likes this.
  23. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

HOLY SMOKES PINCH ME!!!! This is incredible news. To all those complaining of "overkill," I really don't think so.... This era of Dylan was HISTORICAL.... These shows legendary. And I've had the bootleg of Sheffield 5-16-66 for a while, and it always irked me that it was incomplete.... I think the acoustic performances from that were just other-worldly, haunting, bewitching.... It'll be incredible to sit down and listen to the entire Sheffield show....

Damn, I wish there was a DVD release as well....

24. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

Last year BS12 arrived one day before my birthday, this 1966 Live box will be released one day after my birthday:edthumbs:. This year I'm celebrating my 50th year as a Dylan fan.

rogermcnally and Lars1966 like this.
  25. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident