Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hey thanks! Well, I really should have this book...

2. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yes, in the afternoon of the 20 December, 1967, they recorded that amazing Top Gear radio session at the BBC Maida Vale Studio.
    And in the evening of the same day was the last studio recording with Syd, at EMI Studios - unspecified overdubs/sound effects for Scream Thy Last Scream.
    Syd did not participate in any later Floyd studio recordings; though there was the Have You Got It Yet? rehearsal(s) with both Syd and Dave on 8/9 January, 1968. This was in a school, not in a studio. (And not recorded, I think?)

The above according to Glenn Povey.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Roger's Boogie. Can there be a song title any more incongruous?

4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Nick's Boogie.

5. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

I've been flying at the speed of sound by the seat of my faith... but sometimes I pop up on here while on break. ;)

JL, is this with or without the VAT included? 4% is a little bit less than 15%, I will admit...

Dok likes this.
  6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I've read in David Parker's book that a part of Saucerful's title track had a working title 'Nick's Boogie'!

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Their prices include VAT.

BarneyRubble likes this.
  8. BarneyRubble

I've been researching Flubit on my break, and it seems unlikely that an item such as the Pink Floyd box set would get much of a discount... unless if someone really wants to undercut Amazon.co.uk. Seems Flubit works on the model of a seller marketplace (with a database of about 40 million sellers, apparently), but only gives customers the "best price" (which may be influenced by customer feedback and return rates, meaning the "best price" we end up seeing may not necessarily be the lowest price in their database). The concept is for customers to look up an item on Amazon.co.uk, copy the item's http address, paste it into Flubit, and wait up to 24 hours to return one single, time-sensitive, "best offer" for the customer to accept or decline.

Given the Early Years 1965-1972 box set isn't even released, it is quite likely that few, if any, independent sellers out there have copies locked in that they can't cancel... in other words, they aren't looking to get rid of either overstock or stock in abundant supply. I'm currently trying to Flubit Chicago's "Quadio" box set to see what type of price I might get on there... Mind you, as previously mentioned, buying through Flubit means I'll be at the mercy of the seller as to how the item is packaged, as well as how much they charge for shipping (ex: the seller may sell the item for 5 to 10 pounds less than Amazon, but then charge 20 pounds for international shipping while Amazon.co.uk apparently only charges 7)... but I'm curious.

Lost In The Flood and jl151080 like this.
  9. BarneyRubble

Well, quote came back... 67 pounds including VAT and shipping. Wondering if the VAT would disappear if I were to complete the order, I began the process... and soon found Flubit only accepts UK and Irish phone numbers and postal codes. Then, and only then, did I think to check the FAQ. Sure enough, Flubit does not ship internationally, but "are working on allowing international deliveries soon". In other words, stay tuned...

Lost In The Flood and jl151080 like this.
  10. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Nick's Boogie was an improvisation recorded during the "London '66/'67" session, parts of which later surfaced in ASOS.

11. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

It doesn't seem like the whole 66/67 session is included. But the description says "Nicks Boogie, recording Interstellar Overdrive" or something along those lines (too lazy to check right now)
    I wonder if this is a different take or just a selection from the session.
    I always wanted to see a restored version of this footage as the DVDs I've seen of it are all very pixelated.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The versions of Interstellar Overdrive and Nick's Boogie in the box are from the London 66/67 film which is audio/visual.
    Means, you can see the band (incl. Syd!) playing the tracks. They made these recordings one or two weeks before Arnold Layne at the same studio (Sound Techniques, Chelsea) in January 1967 with Joe Boyd as the producer.
    I think this one is restored and only shows the band's performances.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

There are 2 intertwining (or overlapping) rhythm tracks for "Let There Be More Light", my guess is the "rhythm tracks" takes are the 2nd of those two that were eventually crossfaded into the master, which probably then probably served for the basis of overdubbing. (Or maybe both were overdubbed and then mixed together). But that seems to be the most likely scenario, just from listening to the released stereo mix.

14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I've used Flubit a number of times, and can confirm the price you are offered always includes shipping, so there's no worry about extra costs.

I've not had any problems so far. Curiously, some items even appear to have arrived from Amazon themselves!

15. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I am well aware of the tracks from the Tonite Let's All Make Love In London film, but if you look at the time stamp for the box set content, it's way too short to be the entire two tracks (Interstellar Overdrive and Nick's Boogie)
    That's why I wonder what else it can be, unless they made another mistake with the time

JulesRules likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, I too wonder if the PDF still has some errors.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Both songs/videos were previously released, took up a lot of time, and contained minimal footage of the band. they did a new audio edit of the song. My guess is that they created a new shorter edit for the audio of Nick's Boogie and recut the footage featuring the band as much as possible. Just a guess.

18. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The price of the Bob Dylan live 1966 box with 36 ?CDs shows how rediculous the price for the pink floyd box is!
    I'm still buying it (Floyd box) but am angry at the crazy price.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

You've got to be crazy, you gotta have a real need. . .

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I made some cover artwork for those people who will copy the box set's material to their computers. Here's the first four boxes. Hope you like it.^^

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

nosaj72, Meng, bobloblaw and 9 others like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

And here's the rest...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nosaj72, Meng, bobloblaw and 8 others like this.
  22. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Yeah, and in the end it is us who are making the price. This thread alone betrays very nicely how highly anticipated this release is. They know for that and make the maximum profit out of it. That's the bitter sarcasm behind The Wall. Welcome to the machine.

michanes and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

If they did that, I'm highly unimpressed.

rnranimal likes this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

A good rule of thumb is not to judge something before seeing/hearing it.
    Oh wait, I forgot where I was for a moment. :laugh:

25. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Any updates on the toy van? I hope it has a little Toy Syd behind the wheel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.