Sticky Fingers: Remove Brown Sugar, have Can't You Hear Me Knockin' as the opener?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. éder

éder Forum Resident

I think it's a great opener and fits well with the rest of the album ..each to their own though...
    The first time i heard ' sticky fingers ' as a youth ( like i said earlier) , was a cassette my dad had recorded from the lp and he had also recorded the 45 of 'honky tonk women' and put it on the cassette before 'brown sugar' ...
    So for ages i thought 'sticky fingers' opened with ' honky tonk women' followed by 'brown sugar ... and it worked great ...even now, when i listen to honky tonk women and after its final notes have faded - i always hear the opening riff of brown sugar in my head ..

Brother Maynard likes this.
  2. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Well thank ye. :) I think I like it as an opener because it just fits better with the dark theme of the album, and it even starts with a count in. Not that it's a concept album, but, um, but but (this is where I start to repeat myself, so I'll just stop :cheers:)

Exile On My Street likes this.
  3. éder

éder Forum Resident

Disagree there - i absolutely love both of those tunes.. what would you say was filler on exile ?

stef1205 likes this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I am more into the rock and blues Stones. The other stuff not so much.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  5. Brother Maynard

I think Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Woman are great together. In fact, I sometimes get them confused in my mind.

éder likes this.
  6. éder

éder Forum Resident

Amen brother !

7. Brother Maynard

This is true too. When it comes down to it, it is what it is. To borrow from McCartney, it's the bloody Stones's Sticky Fingers, it sold, shut up!

8. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

I Just Wanna See His Face, Ventilator Blues, Let it Loose, Turd on the Run. The first is a jam,the middle two sound more like the lesser material on Goat's Head Soup and do not match the quality of the rest of the work and the last is pretty half-baked and doesn't really go anywhere; it sounds like the embryo of what could be a great song that wasn't really developed far enough.

9. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

That's exactly what I love about the Stones is that they didn't always get stuck in that blues rock stuff they are reknowned for. Their influences are far and wide and add a lot of dimension to their albums...unlike..., I don't know, Bad Company?

OldSoul likes this.
  10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

To each his own. For me, there is not one single filler on those records.

Spadeygrove, stef1205, éder and 3 others like this.
  11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

'Let It Loose' a filler??? Crazy. It's a fantastic soulful song and arguably Mick Jagger's greatest vocal ever put on tape.

tkl7, stef1205, éder and 4 others like this.
  12. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

And "I Just Wanna See His Face" is a gospelish mood piece that is the perfect lead-in to "Let it Loose" which also contains gospel overtones. It's the sort of piece that we would never have gotten if Exile hadn't been a double and then fans would be clamoring for it on a bootleg.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If I want reggae I listen to Bob Marley or funk the Meters for example. I don't like country at all as I live in a rural area and it is all that is on the radio for the most part.

éder and Exile On My Street like this.
  14. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I Got the Blues is one of the highlights of Sticky Fingers.

15. éder

éder Forum Resident

Well, i love 'ventilator blues' and 'let it loose' .. i always thought 'i just want to see his face' was supposed to be a kind of interlude ... turd on the run is a great little fun number in my opinion.. not a truly great song but it fits the album.
    I admit when i first heard 'exile' i wasn't too impressed. I had a hard time getting into it. Heard it for the first time properly when i was around 13 and it didn't really click with me until i was around 18, and then i loved it. I wouldn't change a thing about exile. I think it captures a special atmosphere.
    i appreciate that some of the songs are not everyone's cup of tea.. my stones obsessed father always says it should have been a shorter album with 'shine a light' as the closer. He's not too keen on 'stop breaking down' or 'soul survivor' and he prefers 'goats head soup' ..
    But i don't regard any of the tracks as filler - each to their own..

Spadeygrove likes this.
  16. éder

éder Forum Resident

Well, i love 'ventilator blues' and 'let it loose' .. i always thought 'i just want to see his face' was supposed to be a kind of interlude ... turd on the run is a great little fun number in my opinion.. not a truly great song but it fits the album.
    I admit when i first heard 'exile' i wasn't too impressed. I had a hard time getting into it. Heard it for the first time properly when i was around 13 and it didn't really click with me until i was around 18, and then i loved it. I wouldn't change a thing about exile. I think it captures a special atmosphere.
    i appreciate that some of the songs are not everyone's cup of tea.. my stones obsessed father always says it should have been a shorter album with 'shine a light' as the closer. He's not too keen on 'stop breaking down' or 'soul survivor' and he prefers 'goats head soup' ..
    But i don't regard any of the tracks as filler - each to their own..

17. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

IMO Exile on Main Street is one of the most consistent double albums start to finish there is. To me it has no peaks and valleys, just good all the way through.

stef1205 and laf848 like this.
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, and I'm sure that whatever they play on the radio where you live sounds just like the Stones' faux-country circa 1971... :rolleyes:

As for reggae and funk, you might as well say "If I want to listen to Blues, I'll listen to Elmore James and if I want to listen to Rock & Roll, I'll listen to Chuck Berry". The Stones (like many bands) are all about taking their influences and reworking them in their own image.

I own hundreds of reggae CDs by artists you've probably never heard of, but I also like listening to rock bands who can put their own spin on it and do a good job. The Stones do a good job, much better than most rock bands who attempt it.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

LOL, Let it Loose? That's probably one of the best songs on Exile.

éder and Rojo like this.
  20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Neither of those songs is filler..

éder, Spadeygrove and Rojo like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Stones takes on the blues stuff sounds more authentic. The country tracks make me think of something Frank Zappa might come up with.

I am an avid blues fan.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I'm sure there are plenty of hard-core blues fans who would laugh at that sentiment. It doesn't sound particularly authentic to me, and I'm a casual blues fan. It doesn't sound like they're trying to be authentic. It sounds like they're putting their own spin on it.

23. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

It isn't my favorite Stones song or anything, but when I hear that first double blast guitar riff, I think back to the first time I ever heard the album, before I knew how much awesome was left on it.

Don't F with a first impression!

24. éder

éder Forum Resident

So do you not like stones country style classics like 'sweet virginia' or 'dead flowers' ?

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They're not as bad as stuff like Far Away Eyes and Dear Doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.