did peter green invent a new genre with then play on?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member Thread Starter

im listening to my tritone reprise uk press of then play on.

the music is so different from anything else ive heard.... its blues but not the typical blues they did on the first two albums....i want to call it progressive blues...psychedlic blues, art blues...

would you guys just call it blues? blues rock?

what genre name would you give it?

mlew and ash1 like this.
  2. Genre? I'd call it good music.
    And Danny Kirwan wrote half the album so he shouldn't go unmentioned

3. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

I remember buying that very pressing back then and I'm pretty sure the press (ie the NME / MM) called it "blues rock". I do know that I was knocked out by it and like many late 60's albums, it's been imitated but never bettered. In my musical universe, it's one of the great shames that Peter and Danny (and the other guys) didn't get to record again.

Blues rock maybe but it's Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On - a true one-off.

Mark Wilson, pinkrudy and ash1 like this.
  4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I consider it Psychedelic, some blues on it but those instrumental tracks are really 'out there' so Psych it is!

pinkrudy and ash1 like this.
  5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Soooo...punctuation and capitalization is no longer a thing, then?

GoodKitty and SquaRoots like this.
  6. pinkrudy

lol. I don't know. Do you think people would take me more serious that way?

Fullbug likes this.
  7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I don't think Then Play On is quite a new genre. Anymore than, say, Shine On Brightly by Procol Harum. Its a rock album with its own sound. Its still pretty steeped in electric blues and folk.

shepherdfan and pinkrudy like this.
  8. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Heh, sorry for previous post...I haven't eaten and I'm a little hangry today! I don't use punctuation in my emails and texts, so maybe it is a thing now.

9. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

A very British take on the Blues, I think. :)

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No new invention.
    No, but it would make the moderators happy. Please use proper punctuation and capitalizing. If you read the forum guidelines, you'll see we ask that of everyone

Thanks.

Fullbug, GoodKitty and mwheelerk like this.
  11. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

When I was a kid my dad was a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, the big album at the time was Rumors but he had all the earlier records too. I remember him saying that he really like those and for years I had his whole record collection and never checked them out. About a year back I started pulling them out and listening to them and it smacked me across the head like I couldn't believe. It's so great...tone monster.

I'd agree that it just sounds like blues rock there's a little bit of psychedelic in it. but overall it's just a very awesome British take on Blues...and some awesome guitar tone.

SquaRoots and pinkrudy like this.
  12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Peter and Danny were certainly working at a peak during this period. The live recordings from this time are incredible as well. Another of those instances to wonder what else they might have created had they continued.

pinkrudy likes this.
  13. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

What about the slam edits in and between songs? The cut to what sounds like a random orchestral insert. You can call the music anything you want, but they were pushing the bounds of more than just the music. The record had to have the blues fans scratching their heads a few times upon first listen.

Tommyboy and Mark Wilson like this.
  14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I don't think it's that revolutionary, but I can see we're our thread starter is coming from. Different? A bit, I guess. I've never been bowled over by its uniqueness, though I think if the original release would have had Oh Well on it, I may have thought differently.

pinkrudy likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Anyone care to offer what is the best version of this to listen to?

Where can I find a proper edit of Oh Well pt. 1 & pt. 2 edited together?

16. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

For me personally, probably the most underrated and influential album of the late 60s. If you have the original English release then side one is a rock album with virtually no snare drum on much of it and that's unique in itself. It shifts textures from almost abrasive to pastoral in a moment and undoubtedly has parts that foreshadow what would become the stock atmospheres of a later music genres, there's a reason samples of Mac crop up on the KLF "Chill Out" album.

Like all truly great albums it has a "headspace" that is totally unique and instantly recognisable and whilst it is deeply rooted in the "Blues" as others has already noted, it is a totally unique take on them that, to this day, still stands up as fresh and vibrant as the day it was released. Plus, as album closers go, "Before the Beginning" is an absolute masterpiece.

HenryFly, jwoverho and pinkrudy like this.
  17. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

The Rhino Deluxe edition CD from 2013 has the original English running order plus "Oh Well" complete, "The Green Manalishi" and "World in Harmony"

alchemy likes this.
  18. pinkrudy

I never read the rules. Okay, I will type correctly from now on. :)

19. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

No, I wouldn't say he/they invented a new genre. They just took it somewhere it hadn't been before.

pinkrudy likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's a wonderfully varied album with a huge array of textures and moods. Certainly a highpoint of 1969.

davenav likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.