John Prine Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stunner2020, Jul 28, 2016.

1. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Way back in the late '60s and early '70's, there was a UHF station in Chicago (WSNS Channel 44) that featured an "all news" lineup (the format quickly failed). There was a show on at midnight called "Underground News" which often had John Prine on as a guest. I have all of John's appearances recorded on reel-to-reel tapes which are still in excellent shape (I installed a "line output" on our Zenith TV set and almost electrocuted myself). He was extremely prolific and his early stuff was "more Dylan than Dylan". He was also extremely witty and quite often left the host (a guy named Howie Samuelson) scratching his head in amazement.

2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I managed to track down a copy of Pink Cadillac after loving Chuck Prophet's version of Saigon for many years. It's an unusual album but not without its merits. And Saigon is just a fantastic rock'n'roll song.

Rubberpigg likes this.
  3. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I like the "more Dylan than Dylan" analysis. I've always thought he was pretty underrated compared to Dylan.

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

IronWaffle, RayS and Spadeygrove like this.
  5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Indeed. Despite the cliche cover and somewhat heavy-handed production in a few spots, the debut album is jaw-droppingly brilliant. I would suggest you just go in sequence and get "Diamonds in the Rough" next -- it's also pretty amazing.

TonyG, Sneaky Pete and Shiver like this.
  6. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

IronWaffle and RayS like this.
  7. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I've been listening to lots and lots of 1960s C&W tracks recently, and one day it finally struck me who Ernest Tubb reminded me of...JP, of course, who's probably a big fan of Mr. T. himself.

8. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Sam Stone is one of the greatest songs ever written... and Prine's performance of it is fantastic.

One of the great Anti-War songs -- even though it isn't stridently Anti-War.

10. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Haven't listened to John Prine in a while. He's an amazing talent - I don't think he's ever released bad album. Listening to Bruised Orange right now, which I think is my favourite.

11. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Love this gem of a song.

Bruce M. likes this.
  12. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Thanks, will do.

13. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

John is on Marc Maron's WTF podcast this Thursday.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  14. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Hello in There is arguably the greatest song ever about aging. His first album is great

15. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

any interesting non-album in those tapes?

16. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

I love Acetone's cover of John Garfield Blues:

17. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Ummm no. I've been into flok music since I was 16 or so....1973...maybe it's a late 60's 70's thing. You'd have to have been there. Prine's first album was in heavy rotation back in the day.

18. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I've never really thought of Prine as "folk," though if you must put him in a category, that's probably as close as any. That's a lot of why he never broke through in a big way commercially -- radio had no clue what to do with him for the most part.

I listened to "Diamonds in the Rough" for the first time in a while the other night. I actually think it's even more brilliant than his first album. With a lighter production touch, the songs just reach out and grab you.

TonyG and IronWaffle like this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The new album is streaming in its entirety on the NPR web site. My first impression was that it sounds fine but is closer to the Mac Wiseman duets album than "In Spite of Ourselves", just based on the songs being more "mainstream" and less "out there". I enjoyed the quirkiness of the cover selections on "ISOO", not to mention the uber-quirkiness of the undie-sniffing title track.

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

21. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

martink likes this.
  22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I know how some feel about the Hall of Fame and I don't want to divert this thread. It is criminal this guy is not in, at least for his songwriting.
    Some of my favorites outside the great initial run............

1. Bruised Orange
    2. John Prine Live
    3. The Missing Years
    4. In Spite of Ourselves
    5. The Singing Mailman Delivers

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  23. Zack

Zack Senior Member

This is a huge album in my life since forever. Just last month I played it over and over while I stayed by myself in Nigeria.

[​IMG]

24. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any thoughts on the new album? :)

25. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I think it quite good. I am on week 8 of a separation with my wife and a lot of the songs were hard to listen to though. Of course I'm finding that with a LOT of songs right now...

HominyRhodes likes this.