Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I can't be leave that they recorded practically an entire tour of Dylan's from 1966, and not one professional recording of Buffalo Springfield or The Velvet Underground from 1966.
    I wish the rest of the music industry cared about documenting things the way Dylan's team did back then, pretty forward thinking.

2. Afaninfull

Afaninfull Forum Resident

It is apparently in his contract that was leaked that these CDR's are mixed and mastered at an inferior level to the live releases. And this used to be the guy that would walk around the coliseums and arenas to check that the sound was as good as it could be for all his fans.

Jimmy B., The Bard and bobcat like this.
  3. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

I believe this was for self-reference and entertainment for Dylan and The Band. Everyday they would playback the previous night's show. I want to say there's footage of this in Eat The Document.

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Dylan was a superstar in 65-66. Like Primce and Springsteen all wrapped into one! The VU were some unknowns nobody knew about, sorry that's the way it really was.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No because there are various sources of recordings, some Columbia some boards, some audience, etc. it's not that consistent.

6. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

The evidence seems to indicate that the shows were being filmed and recorded for an ABC-TV special (which morphed into Eat the Document/Something Is Happening) and a proposed live album, which may have been released in late '66 to tie-in with the TV film.

7. Those other bands didn't have the stature of Bob Dylan back in 1966 or the budgets of Columbia Records - MGM and Atco? I don't think so.

Quincy likes this.
  8. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Yep. And all those plans dissipated when Bob hit those bike brakes over the summer. We have the Pennebaker film and an unreleased (at the time) live album to thank for the overwhelming majority of these '66 recordings. So, cheers to failed/incomplete projects!

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The tv network took one look at the footage and heard two minutes of Tell Me Mama and knew this was not going to fly on prime time.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have them. I never listen to them anymore though, very rough. They will likely be the lowest sound quality official Dylan discs ever issued

Chemguy and notesfrom like this.
  11. Afaninfull

Excited beyond words for this release.

The new copyright laws have really made the Dylan camp rethink their strategy for releasing vault material in an "intelligent way." Just 10 years ago, the No Direction Home soundtrack had both the already released "Like a Rolling Stone" and the officially released "Song To Woody." The first disc had nearly 20 minutes of unused space as well. One look through Krogsgaard or Heylin's books was enough to know the mountains of material that was left unheard.

As a Dylan fan since 1985--geez, it been 31 years--it is so incredible to be able to listen to this absolute wealth of material that has been locked inside Iron Mountain for half a century. The old model of control everything and release the scraps in little dribbles has really given way to a systematic roll out of the genius of Dylan's legacy. So many of us have been dreaming of this for decades. To finally see it happening is truly a blessing.

I was surprised to not see this as the 13th volume of The Bootleg Series but I think I understand this direction. The Bootleg Series is such a classic brand and future copyright dumps would surely cheapen it it the next several years. The live material from 1974 and the studio outtakes from 1969 to 1973 can't support full on releases. I do hope we see an upcoming release with John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline and Pat Garrett, however. And then, Blood on the Tracks. And Infidels. And the Gospel Era. And Oh Mercy. And...

What a great time to be a Dylan fan!

12. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I can't really imagine any of this airing amongst F Troop, Peyton Place, Batman, The Dating Game et al. For fun, check out the Fall '66 ABC TV schedule. Can't see how any film of the ol' Ghost of Electricity could play in that lineup.

13. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

I wonder if this will supersede my copy of 'Jewels & Binoculars'?

14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Why? For what reason?

15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

If you look upthread, the set includes several discs worth of material (in blue) that isn't on J&B, as well as soundboard replacements for a few of the audience recordings. I think the differences are basically like so, more or less --

Entirely or mostly new items:
    CD4 -- Copenhagen, May 1 (Soundboard)
    CDs 7-8 Belfast, May 6 (Soundboard)
    CD 11 -- Cardiff, May 11 (Soundboard)
    CDs 12-13 -- Birmingham, May 12 (Soundboard)
    CD 21 -- Glasgow, May 19 (Soundboard)
    CDs 24-25 -- Newcastle, May 21 (Soundboard)
    CDs 26-27 -- Paris, May 24 (Soundboard)
    CD 35 -- Melbourne, April 19 (Audience)

These are on J&B as full or partial audience recordings, now mostly or entirely soundboards:
    CDs 9-10 -- Bristol, May 10
    CDs 15-16 -- Leicester, May 15 (partial, now complete)
    CDs 22-23 -- Edinburgh, May 20

These were partial soundboard/pro-taped, now complete:
    CDs 17-18 -- Sheffield, May 16
    CDs 28-29 -- London RAH, May 26
    CDs 30-31 -- London RAH, May 27

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  16. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I'd settle for a couple of "highlight" shows with a HQ highlight DVD with anything they have from 1966.

bobcat likes this.
  17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"and the studio outtakes from 1969 to 1973 can't support full on releases."......Another Self Portrait?

18. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

19. Afaninfull

Great question!
    I would imagine the superior sound quality of an "official" live release makes it more desirable than a less than stellar download/cdr.

20. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

EDLIS Café likes this.
  21. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

The way I see it, as a U.S. citizen, I am finally getting the opportunity to actually spend money to obtain the annual "Copyright Extension" set generally sold only to people in Europe, rather than being forced to seek out this material for free on the internet--a process which can take upwards of several minutes.

(It took Sony five years to realize this?)

NumberEight and RobGordon35 like this.
  22. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Love the news of the release. Puzzled by the naysayers. Posting just so this thread will be more noticeable to me. :p

:wave:

psychtrailmix and HominyRhodes like this.
  23. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Nice! Was just checking that. Guessing the radio station discs arent there so glad to have those anyway, and dont regret buying the Vigotone set seeing as I bought it about 13 years ago.

24. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Outside of several scattered TV and film appearances and an early Greenwich Village performance mentioned in Steve Boone's recent autobiography, there apparently are no existing live recordings of the Lovin' Spoonful in concert during their 1965-67 heyday--not even via crummy audience-taped bootlegs.

Eduardo Denaro likes this.
  25. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I'll give up those WBAI Bob Fass discs and interviews when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

The Bard and RobGordon35 like this.