There's being a pig and being a PIG

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listed a hybrid SACD of Patricia Barber's 'Cafe Blue' on ebay. Open to offers...but my Buy It Now is $85. Potential buyer makes an offer on the CD. To say the potential buyer wasn't even in the ballpark, let alone the same Zipcode, is an understatement. Before I decline the offer I do what I normally do and check to see if the potential buyer is a seller on Ebay. Sure enough the person is and get this...they've sold this same CD 5 times on ebay in the last year + for $200 each. One of them was ONLY sold for $150. I know I shouldn't care about what someone does with a CD after it is purchased by the buyer...but at least offer what is usually the custom amount of 25% of the asking price/buy it now price. This buyer was offering me 40% of the asking price/buy it now. I'd love to post the ebay buyer/seller's ID here just in case they are a forum member but I think that may be against the rules of the forum. Anyway, just had to get that off of my chest. I know the object of a seller is to buy low and sell high...but PLEASE don't be a PIG about it.

2. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

You might want to check your wording,looks like the buyer offered more than the customary offer in your post.

3. Apollo C. Vermouth

Potential buyer offered $40 on a $85 buy it now. So if my math is correct he was offering me 46% of the Buy It Now price. Maybe off by a half percentage point.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That boy is a p-i-g PIG!

5. Apollo C. Vermouth

One of my all-time favorite movie scenes. I miss Belushi.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

For me it very simple. Low ball offer = immediate decline. I have my own rule of thumb as to where I will negotiate further or accept. If the offer is not within those parameters I give it zero further thought.

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  7. Apollo C. Vermouth

25% is what I've always gone by. Anything more than that...immediate decline.

8. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

This is from your first post:
    "but at least offer what is usually the custom amount of 25% of the asking price/buy it now price. This buyer was offering me 40% of the asking price/buy it now."
    It does read to me that the custom(ary) amount is 25% of the asking price and the buyer offered 40%. Did I read that wrong?

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Maybe OP means 25% off the asking price is the "norm"? That would at least make sense.

I wasn't aware there was a rule-of-thumb, to be honest - am I out of touch here? If I offered 46% of the asking price, does a percentage of my soul get sold to the devil?

10. Apollo C. Vermouth

Here's the way I should have said it : It's customary, at least for me and for others that deal in collectibles, that if someone should offer 25% off of the asking price I would take that price. This buyer was asking for more than half off of the asking price.

So my math was off on that too. Anyway, the guy was offering less than half of the buy it now price. Bottom line is the buyer was lowballing to where he is almost in the gutter so to speak :) If he would have offered me $60 on an $85 buy it now item like this CD I probably would have accepted the offer...but the topper was to see that he is a seller and re-stocking so to speak. Again, I understand the concept of buying low and selling high...Maybe he should have ebay hide his feedback and go private so nobody can see if he is a re-seller. 5 pages into his feedback I had seen that he sold 5 copies in 5 different auctions of this very title in this SACD format.

11. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

That one missing 'f' threw me off, I get it now. Thanks for explaining it to me, appreciate it.

12. Apollo C. Vermouth

Thanks for pointing out...cause I kind of got confused too. And my math...yeah, I was a little off :)

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the offer was a bit of a bottom feeder price, but knowing he's flipping them for $150-200...a bit piggish.

But there are all types doing music arbitrage online.

In any event, I would not reply. Just decline. Probably block this person as a bidder before you do that. Then if they try to make a higher offer it will just get declined. Unless you want them to make more offers...

14. Apollo C. Vermouth

That's exactly what I did...declined and then blocked :)

15. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

It's one thing to sell to somebody at a low price that is going to listen and enjoy it. It's another thing when you know they are just going to turn around and try and profit off of it.

16. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I really see no reason to block them. Being sent a low-ball offer isn't a huge deal as it takes SECONDS to decline, and be done. If the seller has a good feedback rating, I'd happily sell to him on another item. I'm not going to take it personal. If he can triple or quadruple his cost, then good for him.

Vinyl Addict and Gene Parmesan like this.
  17. Apollo C. Vermouth

That's the thing...Ebay isn't what it used to be. There have been so many non paying bidders and spiteful bidders in the last 5 years or so. I blocked the bidder because I don't want them messing with any of my other auctions or future auctions just in case I get that "Whack Job" bidder that would do something just to be spiteful because I turned down there low ball offer.

Gumboo likes this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

What's the big deal?
    Either ignore it, decline it, or accept it, and move on.

marcb likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree that it's crazy and annoying what some eBay buyers try to pull. My wife listed a piece of valuable jewelry on eBay and some guy offered her less than half of the BIN price, and outright told her in the message that he is a dealer and he wanted to re-sell it. Like we have some kind of friendly obligation to give stuff away to people so THEY can sell it and make a killing. She declined it and several other offers from him until he finally made an offer that was close enough to what she wanted that she took it. Which is OK, but my irrational side is still kinda pissed that he even ended up with it. :laugh:

20. Vinyl Addict

When I list on eBay with "Best Offer", there's an option to put in the lowest amount you will consider. This automatically declines all the low ball offers.

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. Vinyl Addict

Why is it different. As long as you get what you want for it, why do you care what the buyer does with it?

spanky1 likes this.
  22. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I just do. Can't control it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.