Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Haha, 'nuff said ;)...

paulmccartneyistheman and RayS like this.
  2. Well, I would think the Beatles would be worried then - because nobody could 'follow' The Script...:D

ZippyPippy, majorlance and Simon A like this.
  3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I remember that they played David Bowie's "Heroes."

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I must have intentionally stayed outside - no recollection. I remember seeing The Wallflowers play "Heroes" when they opened for The Who at MSG in 2006. Perhaps that was a New York City regulation for opening acts during this period? :)

majorlance likes this.
  5. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

6. RayS

Frank likes this.
  7. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Haha, I noticed that.

Either way I would love McCartney shows to be more like a regular gig, but even then I realise a support act just doesn't work with the type of crowd he attracts and the type of show he does. In Dublin the support act fell completely flat, but I also have to say the whole atmosphere was weird because it had seats instead of general admission standing, and was in open air in mid-June in Northern Europe, so not dark until the encore around 11pm.

8. RayS

The Cirque opening in 2002 was just plain weird - for the shows I was at the audience just seemed perplexed.

ZippyPippy, Kermit27 and Frank like this.
  9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I only ever got to see that on tape, but I can imagine that. I don't care at all for all those show elements, just him walking on after the suspense in a totally dark venue is to me the most impressive. He is wasting that momentum a bit now, actually. When I saw him on the current tour he walked on with the last note of the - new - pre-show still echoing, no pause any more.

RayS likes this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I was (the first night). :wave:

I heard them from outside, never once wishing I wasn't.

revolution_vanderbilt and RayS like this.
  11. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Could we bring the discussion back to The Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" please?

Thank you! :)

Peter_R likes this.
  12. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I hope so. The new cover has nothing to do with the Hollywood Bowl release as it's simply the movie poster. I really think it was a lame and lazy idea to use it for the cd release.

Shak Cohen and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Just wanted to point out the vast divide between how The Beatles/Apple and Bob Dylan work:

On the one hand:
    The new Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl CD is a 17-song reissue of a 1977 LP with 4 bonus tracks. Couldn't we have gotten at least a deluxe edition with the full sets from all 3 Hollywood Bowl shows?

On the other hand:
    Bob Dylan is now releasing a 36-CD (!!!) set containing every extant concert recording given during his 1966 tour (along with a 2-CD set of one Royal Albert Hall concert for those who don't want to splurge bigtime).
    Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11 »

Pretty different way of handling things, wouldn't you say?

Grand_Ennui, supermd, JohnO and 13 others like this.
  14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I agree with you Arnie but I seriously think that if the bad's record companies/management had a bunch of great sounding live recordings in their vaults, we would have been offered something. Also, if Dylan's fans had screamed as much as for The Beatles, Columbia might not have that many great sounding tapes. :)

majorlance likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And don't forget that last year Dylan released an 18-CD set of ALL of his existing recordings (outtakes, alternates, and all) done in the studio from 1965-66.

A vastly different approach (Beatles/Apple vs Bob) as to what to release and what not too.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  16. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I personally don't think we'll ever see a "clearing out of the vaults" type release like this for any Beatles product in the future. These recent Dylan archival releases are done for both the hard-core fans, while also offering abridged versions for the casual fan. In the case of complete live Beatles concerts and select performances, especially those that exist on film or video. How long will Apple hold back from releasing this stuff? The market has already decreased significantly over the last several years and most likely will continue to do so.

Grand_Ennui and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

At least you recognize that what they've done by releasing just some of the recordings is "bad." :D

18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Arnie, you could even expand that to the solo Fabs-other than John's vaults pretty much emptied, the other 3 have been scarce!

19. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Yes... I saw The Script open for Paul in TWO THOUSAND and NINE...

Slip of the finger...

I've seen Paul twenty times between 1989 and 2013 and that was the only time he had an opening act.

I'm not counting whatever that was in 2002 - with the artsy characters strolling thru the arena... I think he might have also
    had a DJ on stage spinning records during the 2005 tour, but I'm limiting the concept to someone with an instrument or singing
    along with those with instruments

20. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I remember them in Dallas and my friend told me he saw them at the concert a week earlier in Atlanta

My kid (and I) became a fan of the Script that night. We have two or three of their CDs around my house somewhere. I like them - ripped the discs and they are in my Itunes library.

I believe the invite to tour with Macca came from Paul himself

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  21. Gregorio

Gregorio Forum Resident

Here in Argentina Paul has opening act this year in Córdoba (Las Rositas, an electro-tango duo) and no opening act in 2010 in Buenos Aires, just the DJ. He also had opening acts in 1993, the first time he came to Argentina. I know that MGMT was opening act for Paul in some 2009 shows.

RayS likes this.
  22. astronauta

astronauta Forum Resident

1993, In Argentina he had Nito Mestre from Sui Generis and in Chile he had Eduardo Gatti from Los Blops. The funny thing is that these days, both guys play concerts together (Gatti + Mestre)

Gregorio likes this.
  23. Gregorio

Gregorio Forum Resident

I was wrong! There was an opening act in McCartney´s 2010 shows in Buenos Aires, Ciro y los Persas. I guess i get to the stadium a little late.

24. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Wow! Great combination. That would've been a great night out at the time.

25. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Hits Daily Double show physical sales of 2,076 for the week so far, with a #28 entry. Sales and Streaming results indicate that the album isn't even in the top 50 any longer. Not sure how this translates to the Billboard Top 200 this week. I really thought that the film would've helped sales somewhat. So much for cross promotion I guess. Wonder how many copies will be sold on vinyl in November? Could be a future rarity.......who knows?

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.