Amoeba's Berkeley Store Gets License to Sell Weed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

Amoeba Music's Berkeley location has found a new venture to stay afloat as record sales continue to decrease: an in-house medical marijuana dispensary. The store has been approved for a license to sell marijuana, Fact reports, and plans to convert its jazz section into a dispensary called Berkeley Compassionate Care Collective, which would have a separate storefront from the record store.

In an interview with Billboard in 2015, Amoeba Records co-founder Marc Weinstein admitted that the store earned half of the revenue that it did in 2008 and that it went from employing 90 people to 35. "[Marijuana is] one of the few products that a brick-and-mortar retailer can get into and consider making a living at," said Weinstein.

This isn’t a new concept for the music store chain: Their San Francisco location has had a dispensary, Green Evaluations, since 2014.

While there aren’t any exact numbers on the increase of revenue that the San Francisco dispensary has brought in, the addition was said to have helped improve foot traffic along with helping pay for half of the store's annual rent.

"People are already getting stoned and ending up at Amoeba," Brian Zisk, founder of the annual SF MusicTech Summit, told East Bay Express. "They're going to spend four times as much."

The dispensary does not have an opening date yet because of permits still pending from Berkeley’s Department of Planning and Development.

<Billboard>

Amoeba Music's Berkeley Record Store Gets License to Sell Weed »

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    wavethatflag and Cake like this.
  2. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

My first thought when I read this last week was, "well, good to know they'all be around a good while, especially if CA passes Prop 62."

My second thought was: "Where the heck are they gonna put the dispensary?"

wavethatflag likes this.
  3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Why would they take out the jazz section though? One would figure the weed would enhance the listening experience for those so inclined.

drasil, wavethatflag and melstapler like this.
  4. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Taking out the Jazz section to put in a marijuana dispensary? They must be stoned!

5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Or they could move the jazz section..

Terry likes this.
  6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'll take these two Dead LPs and a block of hash.

7. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

They should sell Doritos, too!

8. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

They should have vinyl listening rooms where people can imbibe while gathered around a turntable. It will bring back a great pasttime for many of us!

wavethatflag likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd like a copy of Hendrix Live at Berkeley on DVD and some purple kush indica/sativa blend!

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. This is the best news I've heard all day...

wavethatflag likes this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Back in the day they were called "Jazz cigarettes", no?

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I manage to walk up from Divisadero to the end of Haight at least three or four times a year for almost the last ten years. I lived in the Oakland/Piedmont area for three years so I didn't do it then--I'd just drive to Berkeley and go to that Amoeba, although like the Haight that's a great place to kill some time walking around. Anyway, when I first saw the Green Evaluations sign right next to the Amoeba doorway, I almost bust out laughing. But it's a totally appropriate match. :)

13. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

... but that probably means the ice cream counter is GONE FOREVER! Though its' sugary scent may linger on...

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  14. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

The guys who stalk you to peddle weed or acid are not going to like this. Might improve the neighborhood! Esp on Haight.

15. senseabove

I somehow missed that that's where they're actually putting it, though it's the logical choice. Sad, though, as I always enjoyed the pleasant clash between the music playing in the annex and the music playing in the main store.

I wonder if they'll have a sale to clear space for the condensed stock?

Rasputin's has the ice cream counter, and their vinyl moved down a block and across the street from Amoeba a few months ago, to the newly-opened "Mad Monk Center for Anachronistic Media."

GerryO likes this.
  16. senseabove

You need to start lower! You're missing some good stores east of Divis: Rooky Ricardo's (massive selection of 45s), Groove Merchant (small, generally well-curated selection with a predilection for the obscure), and Jack's Record Cellar (massive piles of dusty records with some interesting folks milling around).

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm not cool. And by that, I mean I don't buy vinyl.

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Can we just dispense with the word "dispensary?" People want to get stoned on weed - fine, I have absolutely no problem with adults doing that - NONE, just spare me the unmitigated BS about any of this being medical.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

For some, it is indeed medicinal. My father died of cancer when I was 16, and the only thing that allowed him to keep any food down was pot. My brother scrambled to keep him in weed, and at one point there just wasn't any to be found. My dad had been a cop, and made a call to a friend still on the force, and within an hour, a patrol car pulled up to the house to deliver an ounce of pot from evidence.

20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Two words: Diggity Dank

21. senseabove

Carry on, then!

If CA folks pass Prop 64 in November, I'm sure we will. Everybody has to play along until then!

wavethatflag likes this.
  22. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Would it be worth going home? Sneak in a few beverages of your choice and make a weekend of it.

23. Noooooo! The obesity epidemic is already bad enough!

24. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Time to quadruple the jam band section.

dgstrat and zongo like this.
  25. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Stupid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.