Need advice: Multi-channel SACD player to replace Yamaha CD-S2000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RiRiIII, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many thanks for your suggestions for a *multi-channel* SACD player in the area up to 1500 USD (balanced coonnection if possible but not necessarily), to replace my Yamaha CD-S2000, since I wish finally to enter the *surround* era with all these multi-channel SACDs bought the past 10 years.

Many thanks again,

Alex

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Your integrated is 2 channel only, do you plan on replacing that too?

IMO, a good 2 channel rig beats multi-channel for music and you have a good 2 channel rig.

lance b, scobb, tmtomh and 1 other person like this.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Not if he wants to listen to multi-channel music.

4. RiRiIII

Thanks to botgh of you.

Actually I shall purchase a muti-channel receiver as well so as to enjoy my multi-channel SACDs, while my existing 2-channel integrated shall continue to serve my 2-channel playing.

So, my problem now is the multi-channel SACD player.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

In your price range you'll propably get a few people recommending the Oppo 105D. Of course that's not merely an SACD player, but a Universal Blu-ray player. A great sounding device for its price, that even has balanced outputs for stereo (and as recently discovered let's you rip your SACDs to DSD files or ISOs, at least for now). An alternative in that price range are the Cambridge universal players, very similar to the Oppo, but with different DACs.

6. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

The Oppo 105 can do everything except barbecue some juicy hamburgers. Highly recommended. I use it for CD's, SACD, DVD-A, Bluray-Audio, DVD, Bluray and I'm using the usb-dac for playing Flac files (Hirez and CD) from my computer. Playing stereo through the balanced outputs. Love MC-channel music also. Great googly moogle. :wave:

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd also look to shortlist the Cambridge CXU, which is the follow-up to the 752BD. A number of people have opted for the 752 over the Oppo as they prefer the sound of the 752 over analogue RCA and the only difference between the CXU and the 752BD is the addition of the Darbee video processing. The DACs - five Wolfson WM8740 chips - are retained. I've had mine (the 752BD) for about 18 months just over and really can't recommend it highly enough. The CXU will be the same.

You may however, wish to slightly rethink your plan. :cop:

The Yammy isn't one to get rid of in a hurry I feel. If this is for multichannel only, and you neither have hundreds of multichannel titles, then I'd consider dropping down a notch or two and seek out something a little less expensive (you're not going to top the Yamaha's stereo capability) that will enable you to run m/c SACD playback and retain the Yamaha if you can.

You could go for a something like a Pioneer BDP-450 for your multichannel SACDs. I picked one of these up the other week to try out as a refurb unit in the UK and have to say it's a fine transport. If the DACs in your forthcoming Pioneer amp are any good, then this would be a consideration for you - no analogue outs on the Pioneer 450 incidentally, just digital coax and HDMI. If analogue-outs are important for you in multichannel playback, then you're stuck with the Cambridge or the Oppo. Nobody else touches that kind of connectivity in universal players these days.

Have a think, plenty of people will push the Oppo on here; it's a popular brand although I feel that the "just buy Oppo" script overlooks the other good products that other manufacturers offer - Yamaha has their new BDA-1060, and also the outgoing 1040, which will be substantially less but also offer SACD and DVD-A playback. However, as stated, if you want to hear multichannel via analogue outs, then you have but two choices.

And in which case, go with the Cambridge. :)

F1nut and RiRiIII like this.
  8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Ditto on the Oppo 105D - I have a 105 and absolutely love it.

This is not to diminish the Cambridge CXU - they are excellent and I have no particular argument for the Oppo over the Cambridge; I just happen to have the Oppo.

Bill Mac and RiRiIII like this.
  9. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

+1

This is what I did. I have never regretted my decision to buy the Oppo.

Bill Mac and quicksrt like this.
  10. RiRiIII

Thanks. Actually I do not have an A/V multi-channel receiver yet. I plan to buy one of the nice Yamaha and intend to connect the forthcoming player via HDMI and not analogue outs (not a good decision ?).

11. Brother_Rael

Absolutely fine. I use my Cambridge with both analogue to a passive preamp, HDMI and coax to my Onkyo TX-NR818 which I use in pre-mode. Works a treat. If you're going down the HDMI route, then your sound will be decoded by the AV amp's DAC, when you get it, so you really just need a good transport and the means to send DSD for your SACDs if you opt to run that format.

RiRiIII likes this.
  12. RiRiIII

I intend also to use my Yamaha A-S2000 integrated to drive the front speakers and the new Multi-channel receiver for the remaining ones. In regards to the DSD decoding for my SACDs I suspect you mean that it should not be tranformed to PCM? Please let me know. Thanks.

13. Brother_Rael

Some AV amps will decode the DSD part and let you hear that. I know the Cambridge, Oppo, Yamaha and Pioneer players I've mentioned all do. I run both though, depending on how I feel. It's nice to muck around with the settings a bit from time to time. No right or wrong about any of it, though some prefer DSD, others like PCM!

RiRiIII likes this.
  14. RiRiIII

Thank you all for your contributions!

15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I bought a Cambridge AVR earlier this year and now prefer multi-channel to 2-channel.

It's a fabulous unit. I'm using the matching Cambridge top of the line spinner, blu-ray, SACD, etc.

This is my home theater setup and it's so good I toy with selling my two channel system.

Brother_Rael and RiRiIII like this.
  16. RiRiIII

This one?

[​IMG]

17. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Yup, that's my setup. I've never heard an AVR good enough to replace 2-channel separates... until now. And I had an Arcam for seven years. It was great.... this is quite a bit better.

F1nut and RiRiIII like this.
  18. Brother_Rael

They've been "up there" for a while now IMO. Bought my Onkyo TX-NR818 back in 2013. It came out ahead of three £1500 regular stereo amps - Leema's Pulse, the Exposure 3010S2 and Harman Kardon's HK990 and no loss of quality. I gave up with stereo integrated amps back in 2011 and not a lot's changed my mind since, beyond that they're finally catching up with real world need (digital inputs, etc).

It's now doing preamp duties, but in reality will be getting moved on soon as I only really use it now for the optical TV input - the Cambridge only takes a TV input via coaxial, the Sony TV only does optical and if you use that on the Cambridge, lip sync gets very messy, even with tweaks! Everything else pretty much goes into my passive from my main sources and thereon directly out to the AE22s.

RiRiIII likes this.
  19. RiRiIII

Very intresting and especially your comment on the audio signal from the TV to the A/V receiver. I just checked my SONY TV and it has indeed only coaxial. However, the first HDMI IN of my SONY TV is ARC (=Audio Return Channel) compatible which after, some googling, I learnt that it means that the HDMI cable used to send signal from the receiver to the TV, it can also send audio the othe way, i.e. from the TV to the receiver, provided of course that the receiver's HDMI Input is also ARC compatible (both Cambridge and the Yamahas have HDMI IN ARC capability). So, no second connection for the TV's audio is needed in this case.

Is it so? Are there any reservations for the use of the ARC feature? Thanks!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  20. RiRiIII

As I get it, the Cambridge CXR200 does not have separate PRE-OUT for each of the pair of speakers (front, surround etc) . I need this, so as to keep using my 2-channel integrated amplifier (Yamaha A-S2000) as power amplifier for the 2 front speakers connected to it, while playing multi-channel audio through the A/V Cambridge. Do I get this wrong?

[​IMG]

for example, a Yamaha looks like having such separate pre-outs:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  21. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I just see a pair of Pre Out for Mains and another pair for subs...nothing else :cry:...but let me this straight, the Yamaha will be driving your main speakers and the Cambridge the rest??? I wonder if connecting the pre outs for the rears and center of the Yamaha into the ins of the Cambridge will do the trick.

22. Brother_Rael

Good to know! Just tried it out and hey presto! :righton:

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. RiRiIII

The intended set up is my existing Yamaha A-S2000 2-ch integrated to drive the main speakers (I do not want to downgrade the listening - just got a nice pair of Pro Ac 3.8), and the new multi-channel A/V to drive the rest. This can be realized using the "Front Speakers Pre-outs" of the new A/V to be connected to the Main-In of the integrated Yamaha I own. But if the Cambridge unit does not have these Front Speakers Pre-outs, then it cannot be considered as my multi-channel A/V receiver.

I had another thread for this matter of using the same front speakers with two amplifiers: 2 amplifiers and 1 set of speakers question »

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Yamaha A-S2000 and CD-S2000 are very nice components without a doubt. I would suggest keeping the CD-S2000 for CD and two channel SACD playback and a lower cost universal player for multichannel SACD playback. The suggestion for the universal is so you can also have multichannel Blu-ray Audio and DVD-Audio playback capability. You could look at a number of players from Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha and Oppo. I have an Oppo 103 and 105D so I'm partial to Oppo but there are many excellent universal players out there. The Yamaha BD-A1040 looks like a nice player and would keep you in the Yamaha line if you prefer their gear. You could also look for a fairly new used universal player as well.

The only question I have is how do you plan to control the volume of the front speakers when using the AVR through the A-S2000? I've used a number of stereo preamps in my system with a HT Bypass input but never one without. Preamps with a HT Bypass input allows the front R&L signal from the AVR to "bypass" the preamps volume control. But looking at the A-S2000 it doesn't have a HT Bypass input. I've read that you need to establish a "unity gain" volume with a preamp or integrated amp such as the A-S2000. Maybe you are aware of that and know how it works. If not maybe you could get some advice here or search for that information.

So many quality AVRs out there that it really comes down to the features you desire and cost. One of the features that will be needed is preouts for at least the R&L front speakers. Of course you've already mentioned the need for that feature. I enjoy both stereo and multichannel music equally. If set up correctly with quality speakers a multichannel system can be quite enjoyable :)! I also feel that you are making a wise choice keeping the A-S2000 in your system for stereo playback. I think the A-S2000 will sound much better for stereo music than a mid-level AVR will IMO. Good luck and enjoy your adventure in multichannel music :)!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    RiRiIII likes this.
  25. RiRiIII

Thanks a million for your input.

Actually I never ever have dealt with preamps. So in the setup I plan to have, I thought that the volume of the front speakers shall be done by the AVR. Is this problematic? I understand that the HTBypass if existed it would allow the volume to be controlled by the 2ch A-S2000?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.