Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Well I am just so pleased that they have gone to this much effort. I can delete all my 1966 live tour bootlegs off hard drive that I have spent years tracking down. This is a Dylan freak's wet dream come true, I just can't believe there are people whining about any of it.
    When they go to see the great works of an major artist at a gallery they may not look at all the art and read every discription so intently but would not complain about the volume of works or price on their way out of the gallery. It is the same with this set - they are giving us the admission price for next to nothing, we get to hear what ever we like from the tour, on any night. Listen to it all in a few days or take years slowly digesting it. Or just get the the 2CD set and complain about volume & price.
    I have personally pre ordered the whole set & the vinyl set, will probably download the RAH too. I would also be willing to pay in blood but not my own.

2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I agree, Sean, but I think we're going to be disappointed:-

Track times Genuine Live 1966:-
    Leopard-Skin: 4:15
    One Too Many Mornings: 3:55
    Thin Man: 7:10
    LARS: 11:07

Total: 26:27

Track times iTunes:-

LS: 4:04
    OTMM: 4:07
    BOATM: 7:23
    LARS: 8:25

Total: 23:59

Difference: 2:28

"Poets" ramble is 1:40
    Audience applause after LARS is 0:45

Total: 2:25

GL1966 minus iTunes = No "Poets", no audience.

It's a dirty rotten shame.

IronWaffle likes this.
  3. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Well, it's a last gasp, but the iTunes track times are for the 2CD set. It's almost slightly maybe possible sort of that they could include the full talky bits on the 36 CD set. Different audiences and whatnot.

psychtrailmix and IronWaffle like this.
  4. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know nothing about itunes but let's not jump to conclusions about the itunes version. The numbers may change as the release date approaches.

5. Percy Song

Oh, I do so hope you are right. Also, as "Mitchum" indicated earlier, on other releases (Isle of Wight, for example) stage talk was omitted from the mp3 downloads but present on the CD.

Mitchum and Tom Schreck like this.
  6. Percy Song

Oh, I do so hope you are right. Also, as "Mitchum" indicated earlier, on other releases (Isle of Wight, for example) stage talk was omitted from the mp3 downloads but present on the CD.

7. What would be the point of editing out stage banter, audience reactions etc? That's just plain idiotic in my opinion. Are they proposing to release a Bootleg Series album in the near future similar to "Having Fun With Elvis On Stage"? :confused:

8. I simply don't need the 36 CD set, but the 2 CD set is going to be a nice companion to Vol. 4.

bobcat and Spitfire like this.
  9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Its available on amazon.uk again

10. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Then I'm never buying any GG Allin from them.

11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I'm reasonably sure this will be the case.

12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It would fit on on national TV... but only sandwiched between Vietnam war news and a boxing match.

Then again, still too weird.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

One of my fantasies is to go back in time and record/film all my favorite acts, starting in the 1920s. I'd probably be totally burnt out by the 60s, but I'm willing to give it a shot some day (maybe just skip ahead to the mid 50s).

As far as Dylan goes, I think that fate picked the right tour to receive blanket coverage. The band were in full synch with Dylan by then, and the heavy drummer additive was truly a combustible ingredient. Bob was a walking unmasked marvel. And the European cities were the perfect environment for this to all go down.

Syscrusher and Richard--W like this.
  14. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

November 11 hey? No significance there I'm sure.

15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The Cutting Edge box was a test of the faithful.

This next release must be some kind of reward.

guy incognito likes this.
  16. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

But you CAN have enough Dylan sings Sinatra!

The Beave and SteveM like this.
  17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

An archive like this at a price like that? Very pleased!

L.

18. Indeed it is but to those of us who DIDN'T buy the 18 disc set! ;)

timnor likes this.
  19. For me personally, it couldn't be any more significant! :goodie:

20. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

cheeky lad; what would one use as packaging for the copraphagically inclined...(?)/K

David Stilesson likes this.
  21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Wow.
    Stuff entering the public domain. Good news.
    Wonder if there will be a vinyl or a HD tracks 96/24 release?

babysneaks and Lars1966 like this.
  22. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I go away on research for two days and this happens. I've ordered - looks amazing.

As for different track timings... I haven't checked or anything (Genuine Live 66 is no where near me at the momemt), but couldn't those old bootlegs have various speed issues given they're probably from a tape of a tape, and then possibly from another tape of that. Probably best to hold out until we have a copy.

Also the bits indexed before a track won't show up (usually) on iTunes for some reason - I think this was an issue with Another Self-Portrait too. This has already been mentioned before.

zobalob, Mitchum and HominyRhodes like this.
  23. This!

24. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Having Fun with Bob on Stage! I'd buy it.

25. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, the Isle Of Wight concert had all the 'between tracks' stuff missing. I don't know if they ever corrected that, but my guess is that there may be a similar issue here.

HominyRhodes, DeeThomaz and subtr like this.