Lou Reed RCA/Arista Albums Collection Multi-CD Set (RCA/Legacy) Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Most important track first. MMM. So gentle, like your childhood pet rabbit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Fullbug, Chip TRG and BlueSpeedway like this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've never seen such a dynamic presentation of MMM before!

Fullbug and Chip TRG like this.
  3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

From the MOJO sampler. We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together (or else!)

This is where things get complicated. The Full zoomed out view is misleading. The Full zoomed in view shows a little clipping.

[​IMG]
    And from the end section of the track:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Runicen likes this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Kill Yr Sons.

Looks bad at full zoom out.
    [​IMG]
    Zoom in
    [​IMG]
    Zoom more in and looks OK
    [​IMG]

That's it for me. Some people have access to this CD now, so I'll leave more analysis to others :)

Runicen likes this.
  5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Well, Lisa Says sounds much better on the Mojo sampler than that rotten old Camden CD many of us have put up with for years. Nice stereo separation.

Respect to the mag for putting together a somewhat unpredictable compilation. The man in charge at Mojo even implies in the CD booklet the inclusion of MMM excerpt on it is for Lou more than for all the readers. Good for him.

DTK, Runicen and mr.datsun like this.
  6. BlueSpeedway

Andy's Chest sounds ballsier and possibly mid-range boosted compared to on the very smooth and analogue-sounding Anesini Transformer remaster. I like it here though.

Weird hearing How Do You Think It Feels outside of Berlin, I always listen to all of that album (many, many, many times I hasten to add :) . Totally hamfisted edit at the end too, but fair enough on a free CD.
    Ballsier brighter clearer guitars here too, compared to the ancient RCA and later BMG (remastered) CDs. I think this like the above will be down to personal taste. Personally I'd love a CD that sounds like my Canadian 1st vinyl Berlin pressing, which is just fantastic.

Runicen likes this.
  7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I was struck by how delicate and mesmerising the guitar was on this version of Andy's Chest. I need to compare it to the Anesini.

Also, I thought How Do You Think It Feels sounds better on it's own terms as a rock song. Outside of the weight of the Berlin concept.

I was surprised to note how even the song from Rock n Roll Heart sounded more interesting on the sampler.

8. BlueSpeedway

Strangely I find MMM excerpt more "delicate" (haha), more closed less bright EQ than on my ancient (Castle? BMG? I'm not near it) CD.

I think there's more detail in Andy here than on Anesini for sure. The Anesini is very good but it's a very tame remaster.

9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Is this box out yet? I want to get my hands on my copy already! :D

Very glad to hear this isn't just an open/shut case of brickwalled mastering.

10. BlueSpeedway

Yeah I think you're right Runicen. As long as we can afford it, it's gonna be an interesting trip for us fans of all or much of Lou's work from this era who already know these albums. Even if some might not end up our preferred version, the Mojo CD suggests to me it's worth the trip just to explore the differences. And of course, this will surely be the last time ever that this catalogue is altered / issued.

Runicen and mr.datsun like this.
  11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Ain't you the optimistic type? :laugh: I doubt this is even the last time MMM will be remastered!

12. BlueSpeedway

:laugh: well, yeah, maybe the last CDs? I guess there'll be more vinyl for years as long as the hipster thing sustains it?

Echo and 93curr like this.
  13. BlueSpeedway

I Want to Boogie With You sounds a bit jacked open, bright, loud, like Lou tried to compensate for the odd sound of the album. But on iTunes the preview The Bells title track from the set sounds real smooth. Confusing!

14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Certainly the last time it'll be altered and reissued with the artist's input anyway... Man, still hard to process a world sans Lou Reed and David Bowie. :cry:

Dodoz and JoeRockhead like this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'm kinda interested in this box. I have Transformer and Berlin on CD already, the BT&E box, and Blue Mask on vinyl. But I wouldn't mind owning more of his work, especially if he had a hand in the remastering.

I listened to The Bells and Street Hassle both all the way through last night for the first time, on Spotify. The former was unintentionally hilarious, and the second was I think more intended to be hilarious. I laughed my ass off listening to them. Some good material on both.

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Lou intentionally wanted listeners to laugh at 'Disco Mystic.':pleased:

DTK likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I love that song, heavily laced with irony and all. That groove is just infectious! Disco...Disco Mystic. Disco...Disco Mystic.

BurtThomasWard, mikaal and 93curr like this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Has anyone got any idea about single CD versions being available? I want a handful of titles, but not the whole box.

For some reason I want to buy Sally Can't Dance! I think that album might come to life in the remaster.

19. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

20. Chrome_Head

His vocals on one of the tracks, it was either "With You" or "Looking For Love", just had me in stitches. He affected this really whiny, kind of nagging singing style.

The Bells is a very odd album.

21. BlueSpeedway

Have you heard "Live - Take No Prisoners" from the Street Hassle era tour? It's more or less a standup spoken word dark comedy show with like a TV show house band style chugging and grooving along behind Reed.

Street Hassle is a warped and I agree funny album, a bloody riot, he's f~#%ing around with the sound channels to piss us off and telling us dark but funny stories.

As Laurie Anderson (and others) have said.. Louis was a writer, and a lot of Lou Reed was a character he created.

22. BlueSpeedway

Sally Can't Dance is my 2nd favourite album from this era (after Berlin). I love every second of it, but NY Stars in particular is the business, my favourite post VU Reed vocal. Play loud, the ultimate sleazy and cynical grind....

mr.datsun likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Haven't heard Take No Prisoners, but I will certainly track that down next.

Man, the stuff on Street Hassle though--Lou at the beginning affecting that voice ("Oh, you're the rock & roll animal?"), and the song "I Wanna Be Black". Can't see anyone getting away with something like that today.

24. Chrome_Head

Keep forgetting I have an old vinyl copy of Sally Can't Dance. I never gave it much of a listen, but I really need to.

DTK likes this.
  25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, and I have a soft spot for the song Ride Sally Ride. I also like the fact that Lou just turned up to sing when required and then left - at least as the story goes.

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.