POLL: Upcoming Super-box-sets released for Christmas buying season 2016: which are you buying?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Still waiting for the 19-CD Free box ....

jlf and John Fell like this.
  2. Possibly the Stones on vinyl. Received both the Zeppelin Super Deluxe and the Ramones yesterday.

3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I have one Mozart CD and one LP, thats enough Mozart for me. :o

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Possibly Lou Reed, depending on the sonics of those albums.

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yep. I seriously doubt it'll be anywhere near as large as that, though.

6. Tom Petty - Wildflowere Box Set

WHOOPS! Not out, yet.

Come on Tom, make our Holiday/Christmas Season!

Runicen likes this.
  7. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

My bank account is suffering terribly, but I've already ordered the following LP box sets:
    Bowie - Who Can I Be Now?
    Stones - Mono box set
    Ray Charles - The Atlantic Albums Mono Box Set
    Free box set
    Bank account = BOING!

8. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Got the Bowie box -- and like it better than expected!
    Got the Zeppelin BBC! Nice!
    Got the Beatles at Hollywood Bowl set! Also nice!

On order: the big Lou Reed box, Oasis Be Here Now reissue, Zappa Meat Light set, the Yoko Ono reissues, and the Dylan 2CD.

I do love Dylan, but 36CDs of a single tour is well beyond my commitment level. It's not a price thing, either (actually, it's nicely priced for what you get). It's just not-for-me and it would be a pain to find space for it. I went back and forth for a long time last year on the 1965-1966 mammoth set and ended up with only the 6CD set. It pained me to pass on the big one, but I really couldn't justify it with my budget. Then, I listened to the 6CD set I ordered instead and I thought, You know, the 6CD was exactly right for me. Any more would have been too much: my curiosity and interest only goes so far here and no further. So: good to know! And thanks to the Dylan people for pricing the big set so high! If it had been half that much, I might have gone for it, it still would have been too much for my budget, and I would have felt foolish when I compared the (even reduced) price and the (stretched-too-thin) pleasure I would have gotten from the big set.

Also likely, but as-yet unordered: Crowded House (probably only Woodface, but others aren't inconceivable). The REM Out of Time reissue is also likely.

If the price on mono Stones comes way down, I'd bite, but at this point, they're holding pretty high. I don't honestly expect them to come into my range by the end of the year, but if they do, I'll happily buy.

Love to hear of a big McCartney Flowers in the Dirt set (ahem!)...

I might have gone with the George Michael set, but the MTV live set as a bonus didn't grab me. I might have gone for it if the bonus CD had been composed of b-sides and remixes. I could still change my mind here, but it's feeling inessential to me right now.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  9. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

The Dylan one. Bowie was a runner-up, but opted to get individual albums instead.

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Dead or Alive-Box Set Galore, but going to wait on SQ reviews, not spending that kind of money for ****-hole remasters
    Covenant-The Blinding Dark Box, 11/04

11. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Otis Redding:
    Live At The Whisky A Go Go: The Complete Recordings

Paperback Writer likes this.
  12. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I'm contemplating the Global Underground Twenty box set.

[​IMG]

13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I guess this isn't the target thread for those interested in the classical mega boxes. For those who are curious, the classical mega boxes are usually much less expensive (per CD) than the rock ones.

J.A.W. likes this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct on both counts :)

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

We still have a few weeks for announcements,and of course Black Friday Records Store day!

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, but they (almost) never include any new previously unreleased recordings - strictly (for the most part) just budget reissues of stuff the fans (usually) already own.

17. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

the human league anthology 3cd+DVD, but will probaby wait for the price to come down.

later

18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

If anyone has any helpful tips on "justifying" the expense to someone who might not be quite as excited about these releases, do let me know. I have tried "It makes me happy", but that's wearing thin. :rolleyes:

19. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Be nice if Van Halen put all those latest remasters into a box set. It seems like an obvious move along with any goodies the band might have. Unfortunately, they seem short on goodies.

20. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Any classical mega-box sets being released before Christmas that you had in mind?

21. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

David Bowie: Who Can I Be Now? - I'll probably buy the vinyl box before the end of the year, but I've not ordered it yet.
    Kate Bush: Before the Dawn 4LP box set - great news.
    Fleetwood Mac: Mirage box - I got this last weekend, really happy with it. Great surround mix.
    Pink Floyd: The Early Years - this is on order. Amazon UK's price dropped, so I've already saved a massive €14 with their pre-order price guarantee.
    Sting: The Studio Collection - another vinyl box I'm strongly thinking about, despite the ludicrous cover art.

I don't have sufficient interest in The Band, Bob Dylan or Rolling Stones boxes, so not getting those helps ease the outlay.

22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Bowie (EU vinyl, JPN CD) and The Stones Mono (JPN CD)... but Xmas is three months away and two of these are arriving tomorrow.

23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

So far nothing I'm excited about is being released.

24. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Dylan for sure, partly because it's the most reasonably priced.

25. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Dylan Live 66 box for sure, paid for.
    Seeing as I'm only interested in Syd Barrett era Floyd (mostly) the PF box is a stretch.
    Stones In Mono - i'll probably legally if possible (or illegally if not) download Aftermath / BTB and Satanic in wav because it looks like this box is a cash con by the ever highly questionable ABKCO. From the sounds of it there's just too much wrong with it like the Beatle film and the world's media are already fawning over it (like The Beatles film).
    If Team Beach Boys sorts something out for this year i'm in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.