Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

So, look, feel free to make fun, but I've been listening to a lot of Adam and the Ants and Adam Ant the last couple days. He was on to something, what with the revolutionary soldier garb and the Indian warpaint and so on. The New Romantics, man! Thankfully short-lived, but fun while it lasted, ho, ho. Kings of the Wild Frontier, Prince Charming and Friend or Foe--campy in an Adam West Batman kind of way.

Erik B., rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. wavethatflag

Me and you, man--we're kind of the same. I went to the Saturday, December 3, 1983 installment of the Flick Of The Switch tour at the Worcester Centrum. @Archtop, were you there? :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Erik B., budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

41 albums from Amazon today. :wtf::yikes: In fairness 39 of them were in 4 low-priced jazz mini-boxes (CDs), so it wasn't horrible. 12 albums each from Zoot Sims and Eric Dolphy, 9 by Sonny Rollins, and 6 by Ornette Coleman. All of them $15 or under, on a per album basis those are 1956 prices, which is kind of fitting. Plus Pat Metheny's Watercolors, and just to provide some balance, Black Sabbath's Heaven And Hell.

Erik B., budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  4. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

the WBCNTRUM?

Archtop and wavethatflag like this.
  5. wavethatflag

WAAF-trum.

Seriously, I grew up in the sticks of MA. We had to drive about 15-20 miles out of town to pick up 'BCN clearly. So, WAAF with Bob & Zip in the morning. But when one of them moved to Baltimore, the morning magic was over.

Archtop likes this.
  6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

the rock and roll air force. heard it a little when i was on the road

Archtop likes this.
  7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Just had to say that between the 2 sets last night, I heard (my wife also heard and might agree) the most incredible improvisations care of the band but really specifically the bordering on insane (maybe over the edge crazy) stylings of my guy, the brilliant Mat Maneri on viola. A couple more than his normal 2 pedals with a bass pedal that was doom metal inducing, by the scone electric set, he was totally unhinged. Maybe the best I've ever heard him.

My wife told him he reminded her of Hendrix. I couldn't believe she was thinking like that. She's only been to one show this year so I thought her ears for this stuff would have been rusty but she got right into it tonight. I thought the first 10-12 minute in the first set was rough going. All compositionally based and the forms by Ches are melodically centered but this is still severe uncompromising hard core improv. 4 new pieces in the first 55 minute set and by the last 2 I was hearing 3 guys loving this music to death yet the restraint especially by Taborn was palpable ratcheting up the tension.

With Taborn on electric keyboards/drone stuff and Smith augmenting his powerhouse virtuosic drumming with beats and mini-keys, Mat Maneri blew the roof off the little place. I'll never forget it. Madness & Genius side by side - he was singing, hollering and playing his fiddle like no one who ever has. For me the greatest improvisor on the planet and he's doing his late dad proud.

still.....

Coming Down the Mountain

8. wavethatflag

I can't believe I still haven't got any flack for listening to Adam Ant. Rne, you posted she & him and then DrLunchbox copped to having one, so you guys can't make fun.:laugh:

I'm going back to the main thread now...

DrLunchbox and budwhite like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Personal top 30 countdown continues with #22, Talking Heads, Remain in Light. Had the CD for ages but picked up a nice vinyl copy last year and this album has never sounded better.

wavethatflag, rockinlazys and Rne like this.
  10. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

You want to get into guilty pleasures? She & Him is nowhere near the apex of that list for me.

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    I'm gonna get the new box-set, who am I trying to fool?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  12. wavethatflag

Here's Captain Sensible dissing Adam Ant. As if anyone should remember this video. Not sure why I do. Probably because it's silly.

It would be great if they sold the Re:Call discs of Five Years and Who Can I Be Now? separately so as to not force folks to buy the studio albums again. I'm complaining because I don't buy vinyl.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Crispy Rob and Rne like this.
  13. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

@Rne Pink Floyd box in 45 days. You can hold out, man!

Rne likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I know, but I made some adjustements so I can get both. I never learn :unhunh:

15. Dahabenzapple

I just feel bad for you:)

16. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

17. wavethatflag

I just read about the Floyd box and saw the track list. It already gets high marks with me because they're not reselling the early albums with it. Not sure if I'm enough of Floyd fan for it. I have all the studio albums though.
    Thanks? It was desolate in the Dead threads last night. Just no action at all. I can't believe I survived the ordeal.

budwhite likes this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I love the Floyd as much as the Dead, so I can't imagine not having this box. The price is insane, though. The porch crusher was expensive, but it included 80 cd's!

So I'm not the only one having an un-grateful phase!
    Incidentally, we should have news about the new Dave's Picks soon, shouldn't we?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I was thinking about that one early in the morning. I love it.

budwhite, Crispy Rob and wlove2372 like this.
  20. wavethatflag

Oh wow, I'm nowhere near as much of a Floyd fan as the Dead. Still, I made it through the first half of an '88 soundboard that is all stuff from A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

I'm guessing the next Dave's is from '89. Pure speculation, fueled by the fact that the series has no late 80s shows.

edit: Changed Dick's to Dave's.
    This is a great one. I haven't watched the included DVD in years. But the "good" Isis is on Biograph.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I have the Argentine edition, which was exactly the same, minus the DVD. They should re-release Renaldo and Clara. If we have Neil Young's Journey Through the Past, Dylan's filmic extravaganza should be available too!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. wavethatflag

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Every Isis is a good Isis in my book. First time I saw the White Stripes, they surprised me by covering it, doing a great job.

I've been in a mostly non-Dead phase for a bit, too, probably until the next Dave's hits my mailbox. Followed up Remain in Light last night with Miles in the Sky. Can't believe I'd slept on that one until now. Listening to some live Wilco on iPod shuffle at the moment. Pitchfork festival download that was a freebie (with Star Wars IIRC).

budwhite likes this.
  24. wavethatflag

Yeah, but listen to Isis on Desire, then on the Rolling Thunder '75 set, and then Biograph, and then tell me which is the good Isis. Or best Isis.

Oh wow, this comparison could sustain a whole thread I bet.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. Dahabenzapple

I feel a long term Dead run coming on so I hope to help get the big thread going again.