Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pink-nice

pink-nice Member

Billy_Sunday, andrewskyDE and Newscot like this.
  2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, these little thirty second teasers are getting me hungry, but I suppose that's the whole idea. I hope we get to hear a full song as we get closer to the release, like "In The Beechwoods".

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Freudian slip on only 5 hours of sleep and a ton of emotional distrction. That should reach DVD and Blu-Ray. A DSD transfer (directly from analogue to SACD) of all the audio material would probably make me drool beyond comprehension. [ED'S NOTE: Is my computer on autocorrect? How in the world did "read" become "reach"?]

Lost In The Flood and bobcat like this.
  4. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Interesting program. So, these are presumably from the Early Box set, as the DJ mentions that the band have been doing archival work on their early songs lately.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Don't laugh. You wouldn't believe how this was to close to the original plan.

6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Please. Don't. Tell. Me. That.

7. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Look, all I'm saying is, if you put a little van in the commercials, you'd better put a little van in the box! Also, if you put a song called Apples and Oranges in there, you should give people actual apples and oranges, too! Is that so much to ask?

Barring that, how about a coupon for some fresh fruit?

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Don't forget vegetables, a casket, an embryo (wtf?), a cow, and two inflatable puppets making ummagumma.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm very hungry already, too!! Beechwooooods!!!

10. Twittering Machine

Twittering Machine Forum Resident

As long as there's not an old woman in the casket, that would be going too far - except for Storm of course.

11. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

If you don't eat your meat loaf, you can't have any pudding.

12. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

They are!

13. BarneyRubble

Everything stored in a replica van, suitable for display? That may have been the ultimate in cool (and surely would have raised the price by $399 :mudscrying:).

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. BarneyRubble

Pfft. Animals. :tsk: :biglaugh:

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Or everything inside a real van. After The Residents' $100,000 refrigerator, everything's possible!

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, puppets are not pigs.... unless they're finished with some ummagumma.^^

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I listen to it right now. So awesome!... Just archived it onto my PC as a WAV file now. Love PF related radio shows.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  18. Me too! I am getting SO excited about this box-set, like nothing else I can ever remember.

I normally never buy music-related DVD's (well, almost never) -- but I have to say I'm just as excited about (practically) all the video-footage, as I am the CD content.

Edit: I'd never heard that version of "Murderistic Woman" (aka "Careful with that axe") -- what a whole different feeling to the tune. Hot damn!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Pancat, Hattipper and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

Anyone know if any stores such as Best Buy might be getting the set in store? It seems pretty random what they have as far as music new releases these days, but I'm hopeful since I have some coupons that are only good for in store purchases.

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I heard that BBC version of 'Murderistic Woman/Careful With That Axe, Eugene' few times before already.
    But on that stream, restored and remastered for the first time, it sounds incredible! Very excited about the whole set's content!

21. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Thanks for the links, nice preview, but not that much better than the latest bootlegs we've had in the last few years neither.
    1968 session is taken from the slightly damaged master (which i like better than the generations away undamaged copy anyway), 'Point me at the Sky' is from a transcription, as isual if i recall correctly. 1967 and 1969 do sound very nice nonetheless, not a major revelation, but still, they have been very well preserved and mastered. I'm not so used with the 1970 and the 1971 sessions, so I can't tell, but they have used the mono version of the latest.
    Seems that I'm not that impressed and impatient with this boxset release... Well... far from the truth, I am a lot.
    And I can't wait to hear the 1968 'Interstellar' which will be the real upgrade with regards to the BBC sessions.

22. I may have heard it before too, to be perfectly honest -- but just from some 6th generation dub upload to YouTube (through my iPhone, no less).

But I have this BBC stream on now at work -- on the speakers at my desk (and kind of turned up! - uncharacteristically) -- and damn, it sounds amazing!!

Billy_Sunday and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I very highly doubt that Best Buy will be carrying this, at least in store. They often don't carry single CD releases anymore by artists that were once very popular. For them to carry a high ticket item like this would be shocking.
    But . . . I could be wrong and for your sake hope I am.

tommyball and Adam Bosman like this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just finished listening to the stream. Seems like, even the One Of These Days and Embryo performances are in mono.
    I read earlier in this thread that this session's mix sounded better in mono, so it looks like the box set's production staff prefered those tapes...

25. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I can't figure out Best Buy. Their music selection is generally terrible, but they surprise me sometimes. I can't advocate going there for anything other than mainstream releases, but I do check it out once a month now (after years of giving up on BB entirely).

tommyball likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.