The most underrated zappa album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimmydean, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member Thread Starter

freak out, only in it for the money, hot rats, apostrophe, overnite sensations and one size fits all appear in some of these "best album of all time lists" .. which album of his output do you think is his most underrated and should be included with these "classics" `?

my vote goes for "burnt weeny sandwich", because it has one of his best tracks

2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

"Burnt Weeny Sandwich" is my favourite album by anyone ever, so it gets my vote too.

3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I must confess that Burnt Weeny Sandwich is one that I couldn't pick out of a lineout ... so you two may be right. I was going to suggest Broadway The Hard Way, which seems to get no love at all despite featuring stellar performances and some biting satire.

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I know it's probably heresy to say so, but I've always really liked the original instrumental version of Sleep Dirt. I know it's intended as a piece of a larger work, but I've always thought it worked really well as a stand-alone album. Love that ugly Gary Panter artwork also.

5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

maybe you can answer a question on that. sugarcane harris is on little house which is live. I've always wondered where that was recorded since his most known live shows with zappa took place after this release. I've looked around but never found the location info.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Sleep Dirt. The original LP.

7. I always liked BWS. I think Waka is an under appreciated/rated album.

8. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I love Broadway The Hard Way, Best Band and Jazz Noise. They are my 3 favourite Zappa albums so far.

SOONERFAN and Sordel like this.
  9. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

10. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

200 Motels Probably due to different label.

11. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

My most listened to Zappa album is Cruising with Ruben and the Jets. The version from Greasy Love Songs. I wish he had made more music in this vein.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Considering how LOW most of his records charted.... I'd say most to ALL are 'underrated'!

13. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Ruben is my favorite record of all time.

14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

This is my vote, as well.

SOONERFAN and mmars982 like this.
  15. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Sadly, I have no idea when/where that was recorded.
    It sounds to me like the Mothers rhythm section but I don't know of any original Mothers shows with Sugarcane Harris guesting.
    Possibly a live/studio hybrid.

The dialog at the end is from the Royal Albert Hall but it's not from the same show as the music.

The only recording info I have for this album is...
    "Overture to a Holiday In Berlin" - TTG Studios, LA (Hot Rats Session, day after Willie the Pimp)
    "Holiday in Berlin - Full Blown" - Guitar Solo from the Ark, Boston, 1969

17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Just another band from L.A.

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The part with Harris is from the studio. Some bits in the band theme like the drum/guitar solo interlude are from the same RAH show as the dialogue at the end.

vudicus likes this.
  19. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I agree, no fooling. Among Zappa fans, it is the most underrated album. Also the 80's remix of Ruben.

the sands likes this.
  20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Once again, the Steve Hoffman forums reassure me I'm not alone!!!

Okay I have to ask now because it's buzzing around in my head - have always thought about seeking out the Lather set - does this contain the original Sleep Dirt instrumental tracks or does it have the vocal versions? Thanks!

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Instrumental. Some tracks are differently edited between the two albums, and "Time Is Money" and "Sleep Dirt" are not on Lather (although "Time" was a bonus track on the Ryko version).

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think it's rated highly among those Zappa fans who can take his sense of humor at its most extreme. There isn't much to love from a musical perspective, since the songs are mainly recycled and nearly all talked over.

showtaper likes this.
  23. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

For many years I have had the impression that "Does Humor belong in Music?" doesn't even get a fraction of the attention it deserves.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You Are What You Is

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

They're instrumental, but the versions of three of the songs are edited compared to the Sleep Dirt versions.

Läther - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.