Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

That's simply too many tracks per album.

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

What is the medium on which the DSD is stored to use for mastering the vinyl?

3. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Will look forward to your reviews!

Dave_B80 likes this.
  4. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I don't remember any more where the posts were, but I played the mono of "you can't always get what you want" off Slow Rollers over the weekend.
    You know, I'm not sure this is a dedicated mono mix. To me it sounds like an edited fold down of the stereo. Basically, it's the stereo version, with the London boys choir intro edited out, some extra horn in and folded to mono. But why?
    Does anybody know for sure if this is a dedicated mono mix?

I also played the mono and stereo Between the Buttons. I think the mono is better than the stereo. Vocals and instruments more present, the stereo sounds recessed in many places.
    So I would think worth getting the mono of this one.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Hard drives. It's digital audio, like PCM.

crispi likes this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Something like this - I think I've included everything that was released (during the 60's at least), but I may have overlooked something. CDs 1-3 are mono:

CD1: 1963-FIRST LP
    01. Come On
    02. I Want To Be Loved
    03. Fortune Teller
    04. Bye Bye Johnny
    05. You Better Move On
    06. Money
    07. Poison Ivy
    08. I Wanna Be Your Man
    09. Stoned
    10. Carol
    11. Mona
    12. Route 66
    13. Walking The Dog
    14. You Can Make It If You Try
    15. Honest I Do
    16. I'm A King Bee
    17. Not Fade Away
    18. Can I Get A Witness
    19. Little By Little
    20. Now I've Got A Witness
    21. Good Times Bad Times
    22. I Just Want To Make Love To You
    23. Tell Me
    24. Congratulations

CD2: REST OF 1964
    01. I Can't Be Satisfied
    02. It's All Over Now
    03. Around And Around
    04. Confessin' The Blues
    05. Down The Road Apiece
    06. Empty Heart
    07. If You Need Me
    08. Look What You've Done
    09. 2120 South Michigan Avenue
    10. Little Red Rooster
    11. Off The Hook
    12. Under The Boardwalk
    13. Grown Up Wrong
    14. Surprise Surprise
    15. Susie Q
    16. You Can't Catch Me
    17. Down Home Girl
    18. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
    19. Heart Of Stone
    20. Hitch Hike
    21. Oh Baby
    22. Pain In My Heart
    23. Time Is On My Side
    24. What A Shame

CD3: 1965 (+ alternate takes)
    01. The Last Time
    02. Play With Fire
    03. Mercy Mercy
    04. That's How Strong My Love Is
    05. The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
    06. Cry To Me
    07. Good Times
    08. I've Been Loving You Too Long
    09. My Girl
    10. One More Try
    11. Satisfaction
    12. The Spider And The Fly
    13. Get Off Of My Cloud
    14. She Said Yeah
    15. The Singer Not The Song
    16. Talkin' Bout You
    17. Blue Turns To Grey
    18. Gotta Get Away
    19. I'm Free
    20. As Tears Go By
    - alternate takes -
    21. Everybody Needs Someone To Love (Now! version)
    22. Time Is On My Side (Regent 'organ' version)
    23. Poison Ivy (Saturday Club version)

CD4: STEREO MIXES (+ live tracks)
    01. I Can't Be Satisfied
    02. It's All Over Now
    03. Around And Around
    04. Confessin' The Blues
    05. Down The Road Apiece
    06. Empty Heart
    07. If You Need Me
    08. Look What You've Done
    09. 2120 South Michigan Avenue
    10. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
    11. Heart Of Stone
    12. Time Is On My Side
    13. What A Shame
    14. The Last Time
    15. Play With Fire
    16. I've Been Loving You Too Long
    17. My Girl
    18. Satisfaction
    19. Get Off Of My Cloud
    - Got Live! If You Want It EP (mono) -
    20. We Want The Stones
    21. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
    22. Pain In My Heart
    23. Route 66
    24. I'm Moving On
    25. I'm Alright
    26. Time Is On My Side (Got Live! LP)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

But a fold of which stereo mix?

It's definitely not a fold of the stereo edit that's on the US single/Collectors Only, and I'm not sure that the 1989 Singles/GRRR! stereo edit even existed back then.

I'll give it another listen later and try and pinpoint some differences on the mono edit.

James_S888 likes this.
  8. warpig

warpig Senior Member

So does anyone have this vinyl box and if so how does it sound. A comparison to an original would be nice. Looking at originals you would be lucky to get a NM mono copy from what I saw and have seen.

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Ok, I've just done some more comparisons between the mono single edit on the new box, and the stereo 'single edit' on GRRR! (folded down for comparison).

The mono intro has the acoustic guitar more up front and brighter. The vocals are more distant, with a longer reverb on them.

At 1'21 there is an edit (after the first chorus) - this comes on a cymbal crash and is very slightly different on both (FWIW, the Collectors Only version also seems to have the edit done very slightly different to the others, so presumably all versions had the edits applied individually and were not made from an edited 8-track copy).

At around 1'42 there is another edit - on the organ fill between 'Man, did he look pretty ill' and 'I said to him'. The edit comes in on the beat on the mono version, but is very slightly ahead of the beat on the GRRR! version (though the timing stays intact).

After the instrumental build-up in the middle of the song (the part they never bother with live) there is another instrumental chorus, after which the music drops down and there is a piano fill (around 2'39). This is louder on the mono mix, while the fold of the stereo is quieter here.

Lastly, the outro starts fading more quickly on the mono. The stereo fades out more smoothly and there is about another second of music at the end.

So no, I don't think the mono single edit is a folddown of the GRRR! 'stereo single edit' (which I believe is actually a recent creation made from the LIB stereo mix).

And it's also definitely not a fold of the original stereo single edit either (the one on US singles and Collectors Only).

I don't have 'Slow Rollers' anymore, but going from memory, the version on the new box is exactly as I remember it.

goodiesguy, uncle AK, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

^^^
    For those interested, there is one more edit made to the single version(s) - at 3'34 the double-chorus at the end is condensed by editing from the first one to the second.

KinkySmallFace1991 and lukpac like this.
  11. slane

slane Forum Resident

^^^ Actually, that first edit at 1'21 might be identical on the mono single edit and Collectors Only - it's hard to tell as the sound of the mixes is so different.

But I grabbed the audio of the 'TV version' I posted earlier - that also seems to match up well with the vintage edits, so perhaps an edited copy of the 8-track was made.

In any case, I stand by my main conclusions - the mono single mix is a dedicated mix, and the GRRR! stereo edit is a forgery of the original stereo mix of the edit.

12. afterm.ath

afterm.ath my life!

For December's Children, is the slow version found on the 80's London CDs used or is it the faster version?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Same digital transfers as the SACD.

14. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It wasn't a boys' choir. Not being a jerk, I used to think that too.

James_S888 and Adam9 like this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

There's a great pic of MJ in the studio with the assembled ladies seated - you can see one handbag on the floor. Great stuff.

uncle AK and OldSoul like this.
  16. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

One of the biggest differences between The Beatles and The Stones was that The Beatles had an actual producer, while Andrew Oldham, IIRC, had never been in a recording studio before the 1st Stones recording session. So perhaps ABKCO used SACD so that the sound of the CDs was more in line with the sound of The Beatles. It's just a thought...

I doesn't matter which way ABKCO issued the tracks on this set, they're still gonna make some segment of the fans unhappy. One universal (pun intended) truth in the business of reissues is "You can't please everyone."

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Stones recordings are what they are. SACD didn't change that. It certainly didn't make them sound like The Beatles' recordings.

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

For those that want these - the 7 inch 45s included in the Universal edition are starting to show up separately now. Amazon Japan has Tell Me/Carol and Time Is On My Side/Congratulations, each around $16 plus shipping. To the USA it comes to around $47.00

fspadafora likes this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Interesting info on the covers. So do all the early London covers say Stereo Electronically Re-Processsed?

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. marmil

That's not quite what I meant. It's possible that they used SA to "smooth over" some of the more rough edges of the early Stones productions. Don't get me wrong, Stones records, for the most part, sound pretty cool. But hi-fi they ain't. And Beatles records are. I'm also not saying that I'm right about why they used SA - I said it was just a thought.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"the fuller and more muscular mixes on The Rolling Stones in Mono are often the better ones. Albums like The Rolling Stones Now! and Out of Our Heads benefit from the uncluttered and more direct approach"

More direct...than the existing mono releases?

SACD doesn't do that.

23. marmil

I didn't mean roll-off frequencies, I just couldn't come up with a better phrase for what SA does. Make it sound "better" ?

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But that's my point: it's basically a non-factor, especially when we're comparing, say, Out of Our Heads to Rubber Soul. The difference SACD brings compared to CD is nothing compared to those different recordings.

I also find it interesting that ABKCO ditched SACD in favor of CD not that long after the initial release.

25. marmil

OK, point taken. I find that interesting, too. My guess is that people who were buying the Stones discs couldn't care less about SAs. Do you know if the price dropped for after they switched to redbook CDs? And outside of Sony and the audiophile labels did SA catch on to any great degree?