VPI Scout - Recommended Audio Rack

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mikemoon, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

There were some older posts on this but it would not let me revive them, so I apologize for being repetitive.

I'm looking at ordering the Archetype A5. Planned placement:
    Top/5th shelf: VPI Scout (19" W x 14" D)

4th shelf: Audio Research VSI60 Amp (14" W x 16" D)

3rd shelf: Manley Chinook Amp (19" W x 11" D)

I would think these would fit but each runs close on the usable dimensions (18" W x 16" D). The Scout turntable feet come in slightly making the width of it a bit less. The VSI60 would take up the entire depth allowed. The Chinook runs 1" over the usable width but since the depth is only 11" this may allow for more usable width since it should fit in between the 4 bars?

Anyone have any suggestions/experience?

I'm also thinking of using my old Target 2-shelf wall rack along with an Archetype A2. In my old places it was either mounted into a brick wall or a plaster wall and it provided great isolation. Now it will be on a non-exterior wall in the corner of the living room (not ideal). There is a bedroom door right by as well but I could make sure it never closes while the TT is in use. I'm wondering if it could still work though. This may just be a temporary move, so I'm not trying to go crazy spending money.

Any other recommendations? Trying to keep it $300 or less if possible.

2. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I moved into a new home a few months back, and I purchased a three shelf rack from timbernation.com. It's made of maple and holds my Scout (which is on top of a butcher block), my Rogue Audio Sphinx amp on the second shelf, and I put my VPI 16.5 cleaning machine on the bottom shelf. It is a blonde maple and it cost around $400. It's very sturdy and a well made product - you receive the parts and put it together very easy. I had my table on a expedit shelf filled with records before which was on a carpet underneath hardwood floors. I always had skipping and could hear my footsteps through the speakers. With the new shelf, I don't have any of that.

mikemoon likes this.
  3. mikemoon

Thanks for the response. Looks like he does nice work. Likely too expensive for 3-4 shelves that I may need. Looks like he makes nice maple isolation blocks as well but not sure I need it.

4. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I have no recommendations otherwise or experience with other racks but I've had a Salamander Archetype A5 for a few years and while it gets the job done I don't know that I would do it again. The problem in my case is, over carpet and with the Salamander spikes, it is pretty difficult to get the whole thing level, this includes the top shelf. Not that it isn't possible, it just takes a lot of patience. Afterwards I will look at the shelves and despite that they are "level" it's clear some of the shelves are visually askewed and sometimes component feet aren't able to make full contact.

mikemoon likes this.
  5. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident

mikemoon likes this.
  6. mikemoon

I should mention that the floors are prefab type of hardwood. This is a new construction somewhat high end apartment building that seems to have a solid floor foundation (2nd floor). When I stomped on it, it seemed pretty sturdy.

Are there benefits to the wood over MDF other than aesthetics and of course being better construction material. I know in most cases real wood is preferred but I thought I may have read differently for audio racks. I like the look of the wood but was leaning MDF for costs/value at the moment.

7. mikemoon

Yes, I could see carpet being a problem, good point.

8. mikemoon

9. mikemoon

Interesting enough, I just received this response from Salamander.

The interior dimensions for the Archetype system is 18.75” x 10”. I do not see how any of your components will work with this stand without resting on the top shelf. The depth of your components are too large to let them overhang the width of the shelf.

I'm confused.

10. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

With the exception of a Pioneer SX1280, it's a challenge to find a component that doesn't fit. A Kyocera A710 is almost too deep but it still fits.

mikemoon likes this.
  11. mikemoon

That's what I was thinking. I knew my components were close but she made it sound like their was no way they would fit. I thought contacted the company was a good idea. I also contacted Crutchfield and they thought they'd fit but weren't 100% sure as he thought the Chinook would be close. They also had some typos on their website.

12. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

Get a Ginko Cloud I used one under my Scoutmaster for years with good results.

13. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

When I had a Scoutmaster II, I purchased a SolidSteel wall mounted shelf and it worked flawlessly. It is an impressive piece of furniture.

14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'm using the Salamander rack and I couldn't be happier. I went with the maple shelves. I love the infinitely adjustable threaded design. I was able to tweak the top shelf that my VPI Classic sits on very well. My only issue is using the supplied top 'caps' for the end of the threaded rods. I called Salamander and had them supply me with enough nuts and washers for the top of the unit. That way I had a lot more flexibility. And for what it's worth, they sent them overnight for no charge. You can check my profile for the equipment being housed within the rack. I have some fairly large (and heavy) pieces.

15. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

The nuts and washers help keep the top more even?

16. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Yes, infinitely more adjustable. I have my top shelf dialed in without using the Classic's feet to level the plinth.

17. mikemoon

So I went with the Salamander Archetype 5 after looking very closely at the dimensions and listening to the advice here. I think all the components should fit. Any other tips? Also, anything to look out for doing the assembly? How long should I expect it to take? Thanks.

crooner likes this.
  18. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I put together my Archetype V last week. The hardest part was to level all the shelves.

Took even longer to do this than to build shelf itself. Total of 3 hours including adjustments.

I ordered the caster wheels to move the thing around for ease of cleaning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mikemoon and 500Homeruns like this.
  19. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I'm using a Sanus rack, 3 levels. Sits on a 1/2" thick slate floor. No feedback but, the deck that sits there is suspended.

mikemoon likes this.
  20. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I recommend a Boos maple butcher block as a base for the Scout. I used one successfully for many years. A mouse pad to place on the motor as well. I used small superballs from Party City cut in half as footers.
    Worked beautifully. I will post pictures I took years ago of this setup when I get home tonight.

21. mikemoon

Please do, thanks. Do the type of level matter. I have a level app on my phone that is pretty good. Will it suffice?

22. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Back in those pre-smart phone days I used a regular bubble level, the one that was supplied with my Benz Micro cart.
    Not familiar with the app. Very interesting though!

mikemoon likes this.
  23. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I found an old thread here in the forum with pictures of my setup back in 2007. You can spot my bubble level and the mouse pad on the motor as well...

Maple Board platform on my VPI Scout »

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mikemoon and 500Homeruns like this.
  24. mikemoon

Nice job @crooner! Quick question, I didn't need every shelf so I doubled up at the top for the turntable shelve and it seems pretty isolated. If I'm not getting any interference/vibration on the TT is an other isolation necessary?

The assembly was much easier than I expected. I basically would measure up how many inches needed for each shelf and component and would make sure they were exact on each threaded post. I used the iHandy Level app and it produced my leveling results in the 0-1 degree range or -1-0 range which appeared pretty level. Is that sufficient? It seemed much more accurate than the provided level.

The biggest hiccup involved was with may be my phono stage/interconnects. I was getting quite a bit of hum and could even hear faint voices from a radio station. Now I have to figure this out.

25. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Hi Mike,
    Doubling up shelves should definitely help with isolation. The final proof is in the listening. If footsteps or other vibrations are not a problem then you are good to go.
    Looks like you got the shelves leveled very nicely. I don't have a turntable on mine so exact level wasn't critical.

Make sure you use shielded cables from TT to phono preamp. I originally made the mistake of using unshielded Nordost Blue Heaven and had hum. My favorite interconnect at the time was the VPI phono cables made with Discovery wire, the same they used inside the wiring of the arm. Great sound and no hum!

mikemoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.