I've got the Technics SP turntable blues

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by recordhead, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm the owner of a Technics SP-15 with an ATP 12t arm. I knew one day speed issues would be an issue and that day has come. While searching for repairs I was advised to get the SP-25 instead. So, I bought an SP-25 from eBay for a pretty decent price. It too has an issue! Not speed but a clanking noise coming from under the platter. I really like the SP models. I like the fact that I can have 3 speeds and simply swap out cartridges with ease. Should I invest in repairs for either of these tables or cut my losses and buy something like a pro ject debut carbon and a 2nd table for 78's?

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

SP-15 is like a dream table for me. Or an SP-10MK3. The project debut is 78 capable with the right pulley but it's much more fiddly than these beasts, and much less simple to use too. Not to mention it's not even close in terms of quality. I'd get them fixed up.

3. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident Thread Starter

These units are known to develop speed issues when an internal chip fails. 33 and 45 (for now) are okay but 78 rpm runs too slows. Its sometimes locks up when started and spins an inch backwards before going forward.

4. Has the turntable been lubricated lately? It takes more power to spin faster and a delayed start-up also points to lack of lubrication. Does the digital readout show actual speed or requested speed? Have you used a strobe disc to confirm speed?

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, your platter brake may need attention. Try that first. And yes, it needs lubrication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.