Disappointed in Plastic Ono Band MFSL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone here have the 180g MFSL Plastic Ono Band vinyl? While the sound quality is great (it's of the 2000 remix, by the way), the pressing leaves lots to be desired. Lots of pops and crackles which really surprised me given the suppposed reputation of MFSL.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

You should adjust that thread title and put the actual album name in it rather than POB.

drasil and DK Pete like this.
  3. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Maybe you got a bad one?
    Have you contacted MFSL?
    They're usually pretty responsive and pro-active about solving pressing issues...

DK Pete likes this.
  4. DK Pete

Done.

agentalbert likes this.
  5. DK Pete

Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

krlpuretone likes this.
  6. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

My copy of this title did not suffer from pops and crackles. Don't lose hope in finding a noise free copy.

DK Pete likes this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I buy a lot of MFSL releases and won't play one without a clean on the Okki Nokki RCM. Have you inspected it under a bright light?

DK Pete likes this.
  8. DK Pete

That's not likely to happen since the album is no longer in print; I'd imagine a good used copy would go for quite a nice buck. I did just send an Email to MOFI which i really don't expect to get me anywhere at this point...it's worth a try. It's one of my favorite albums of all time and the Peter Cobbin remix sounds incredible on this LP making the poor pressing that much more of a disappointment. I own many MFSL's (including all the Beatles LP's)...I've never experienced this before from this company.

9. DK Pete

It's crystal clean with no obvious pressing discrepancies (unlike, say, the visually apparent ones on the 2012 stereo Beatle pressings from Rainbo). other than the rare, pop or click here or there, I've never experienced anything like this from MFSL.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's too bad. Sorry to hear that.

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

:wtf:

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What? Some of us aren't thinking about The Beatles/John Lennon all day, so a thread title "POB MFSL" isn't very clear. I appreciate that the OP was considerate enough to take the suggestion and make the thread title more clear.

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

How does the MFSL compare to the original US Bell Sound pressing?

DK Pete likes this.
  14. drasil

drasil Former Resident

since the OP fixed it by the time I got here, I thought for a second that MFSL also did Yoko's LP and it was that versus Lennon's was the clarification you were asking for. and I was briefly really excited. unfortunately...

maybe the new reissues will sound awesome.

15. DK Pete

Sound wise there's no comparison because the MFSL uses the remixed version of the album. As far as the pressings themselves, I have an original 1970 U.S. pressing, a mid-seventies U.K. pressing and an individually bought current 180g pressing from the Signature box set (which uses the original mix). All three of those-as pressings-are far superior to my MFSL copy. The best pressing of all, believe it or not, is the newest, 180g copy. It is ridiculously dead quiet (the other 180g re-issues from the box set also follow suit as does the 180g of Shaved Fish; I was honestly stunned at how beautifully these are all pressed).

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My apologies! Now I see; the title was corrected and I then read your post and wondered what the problem was!

Yes, I would have been bugged by that, too! Thanks!

agentalbert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.