Pet Sounds / Carl & The Passions twofer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

On my copy, I have the Stereo block blacked out.

rstamberg likes this.
  2. I have a US Columbia test pressing with 2090 in the run-out / matrix. It's in a Brother Records white cardboard sleeve with a Brother Records sticker label with M.S. 2090 typed on it so the single LP version made it to the test pressing stage.

rstamberg likes this.
  3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yes, same stampers.

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The currently available vinyl LP of CARL & THE PASSIONS - SO TOUGH on Capitol/Brother Records is a single disc. Finally.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Misprint.

AZRunner likes this.
  6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I can't imagine it without Pet Sounds.

aoxomoxoa and rstamberg like this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Funny.

8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Seriously, though. I was too young to buy - or even know about - Pet Sounds when it first came out on Capitol. The only way I could ever find Pet Sounds during the group's post-Endless Summer glory days was packaged with Carl and the Passions. It is forever ingrained in my mind that way. I can't think about the latter without expecting to see it with the former.

9. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

I'm certainly not an expert on the Beach Boys or Pet Sounds, but here is what I remember from the time Carl and the Passions was released. Because of the success of Sunflower and Surfs Up, the Beach Boys were becoming cool again. It was during this time that there was a reassessment of Pet Sounds. The critic Paul Williams was a huge fan of the Beach Boys and got other critics, including Rolling Stone magazine, appreciating Pet Sounds, mostly because it was the lead in to the legendary SMiLE sessions. In the early seventies, I believe Pet Sounds was out of print by Capitol. I know I had a very difficult time finding it. Pairing it with Carl and the Passions was a way to get this rediscovered masterpiece back into print. I don't remember any talk of pairing up any other future Beach Boys releases with old albums. Music information was so much harder to get in those days.

Dodoz likes this.
  10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Well, IIRC, when the rights to PET SOUNDS and everything thereafter originally released by Capitol reverted to The Beach Boys in 1972, the plan was to pair each old album up with a new one and release SMILE on its own. What eventually happened was only PET SOUNDS got paired with a then new album, and the rest were released as a pair of two-fers on Brother/Reprise in 1974. SMILE, while continuously hyped as "coming soon," never did ... until 2010.

Dodoz and Hep Alien like this.
  11. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

[Reposting, with some edits, comments I made in another thread, since it resolves some questions in this thread.]

The Pet Sounds disc in the 2LP Carl & The Passions/Pet Sounds twofer has matrix number 2MS-2083 and is labeled (erroneously) as "stereo" on the label. This came out in 1972. (No stereo mix of Pet Sounds existed until 1996.)

The "brown cover" Pet Sounds reissue has matrix number MS 2197 and does not say "stereo" on the label. This came out in 1974.

Forum members have reported that their "brown cover" Pet Sounds vinyl is thicker than their Pet Sounds disc from the Carl/Pet Sounds twofer.

The above rules seem to be the norm. However, forum members have reported deviations in this thread. One forum member reported his "brown cover" Pet Sounds having the 2MS 2083 matrix of the Carl/Pet Sounds twofer disc. Another forum member reported his "brown cover" Pet Sounds reissue having matrix MS-2197 2MS-2083 11452-2, with the MS-2197 portion written in a different handwriting than the rest of the matrix code.

My guess is that some Pet Sounds discs originally pressed for the Carl/Pet Sounds twofer (1972) were used for the "brown cover" Pet Sounds reissue (1974).

Dodoz likes this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

ZippyPippy likes this.
  13. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I love the DCC but I will say the brown cover (twofer) Pet Sounds release sounds VERY good.

MK75 likes this.
  14. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I have 20/20 - Wild Honey and Smiley Smile/Friends.

Need a nice minty copy of the PS/CATP 2-fer to complete my BB 2fer collection!!

The Gomper likes this.
  15. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

A couple comments from Michael Fremer on the Carl/Pet Sounds twofer and the "brown cover" Pet Sounds reissue.

Pet Sounds From Analogue Productions
    Pet Sounds From Analogue Productions »

The ["brown cover"] Brothers single LP version is the same mastering as the one included in the Carl and The Passions twofer, but the wood blocks on "Let's Go Away For Awhile" are softer and everything seems weaker, which could be the result of a tired set of stampers. I know this sounds like a lot of picayune navel-gazing bull----, but what's resolved on the twofer edition and especially on this new one from Analogue Productions adds immeasurably to the listening pleasure.

Best Mono "Pet Sounds"?
    Best Mono "Pet Sounds"? »

[From comments section] Yes I forgot to mention the brown cover edition issued by WB/Brother around the same time as the twofer. It's the same pressing and equally good. I've got one of those too...

MK75 likes this.
  16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

17. I've not heard their pressing of Pet Sounds, but I seem to recall it being confirmed that Simply Vinyl sourced the remastered mono "two-fer" CD source to create its reissue of Smiley Smile, so you can probably expect similar. Despite this questionable lineage, I found the overall quality rather good, and the reproduction EMI sleeve wasn't bad, either.

18. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I've read a lot of threads about this twofer and the brown cover Pet Sounds issue and one thing is not at all clear to me.

Is the Winchester pressing considered to be as good as the Artisan pressing ? Or is the Artisan considered superior in some way ?

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'd go for the Artisan

bigal00769 likes this.
  20. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a choice ! What I was trying to establish was if there is really a difference.
    Isn't this just the same pressing from different plants ?
    Is there any reason to believe the Artisan sounds better ?

21. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I have an Artisan pressing of the brown Pet Sounds, and a non-Artisan of the twofer. I haven't done a bake-off in a while, so I'd have to get them out to be more specific about why, but it isn't even close: the Artisan sounds a lot better.

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I'm sure it's common knowledge, but the Pet Sounds 50th uses the same mono master prepared by Carl and Steve Desper back in '72.

Dodoz likes this.
  23. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

So does the DCC...and it sounds super.

24. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

Were the singles from CATP ST different mixes from the lp?

25. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Interesting. I had an Artisan and a Winchester and heard no difference at all. If anything the Artisan sounded duller which I put down to the fact that it had been well played. I'm no expert which was why I was trying to understand why the Artisan might sound better. As these were pressed at the same time what would the reason be to believe the Artisan sounds superior ? Did different plants use a different mix ? Or would this be due to pressing quality ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.