Britney Spears- Yay, or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Madonna. We could do a whole thread on what's wrong with Madonna's music today.

bob60 likes this.
  2. Grant

What's the thread title?

3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

"Prism" wasn't an attempt to go artsy or achieve critical acclaim. It was a fun lighthearted Pop record not meant to be taken seriously and certainly wasn't competing with previous work. If it was, it had me and many of it's listeners fooled.
    Was it really intended to be a darker and more introspective record? Katy should just wing it and make catchy radio hits. I don't expect masterpieces from mainstream Pop artists. Not that they are incapable of producing them but it's not exactly what I look for when jumping into their music. Lady Gaga should understand that and stay in her lane. At least Britney knows her place in the music world and doesn't try to push this bogus avant-garde approach that won't impress or be embraced by music snobs. We're not the ones purchasing your music or concert tickets. Know who your audience is. Don't cater to the wrong demographic.

4. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Artpop had no demographic other than Monsters, many of which hated that record. :kilroy:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. Grant

You were fooled. It was indeed an attempt to be taken more seriously.

Introspective, anyway. Perry said her albums represent where she is at any given point in her life, and she did "Prism" right after het very public breakup of her previous marriage to that jerk of a comedian. That's why it also took on a darker tone.

That's the same as telling someone to "stay in their place". That's so wrong! Lady Gaga is very capable of more than she does. She did an excellent album with Toby bennett last year, and I think she could do something like a jazz album.

You want to talk about someone who squandered her talent? Try Mariah Carey! She should have gone jazz. She had the voice for it. But, she wanted to chase the pop market, which she was mildly successful in for a while, but it all fell flat. Where is she now? She tried to go back to her roots but failed.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

I didn't give "Prism" enough time or attention to notice. Birthday, Dark Horse, Roar & This is How We Do are certainly not representative of that.

The "Little Monsters" have no interest in hearing another Jazz/Duet album.

Mariah did well by switching over to R&B when she did. How many boring AC songs can she sing before the world gets tired of hearing them? :confused:
    I understand that you desire to hear these Pop artists covering Jazz music but that's not exactly what their fans are begging for.

7. ijustdontknow

ijustdontknow Forum Resident

Yeah not gonna happen. Picture Zach Galifianskis but not as purty or funny.

8. The7thStranger

I expect this to be in my PMs in one hour.

johnaltman likes this.
  9. ijustdontknow

My 2 favorite female pop singers right now are P!nk and Adele. Not that I think that's the topic of this thread but it's gone so far sideways and back I figured I would chime in. I think both have talent and both know their audience.

10. ijustdontknow

I'm sorry but your expectations have been set too high. I like to renegotiate. How about I don't post or send my picture and we forget the whole thing happened.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You know Madonna lip-synched a lot of the songs during the 1990 tour, right? She even joked about it on stage!

Grant likes this.
  12. The7thStranger

She lipped, in order of appearance ;-) :
    • Express Yourself
    • Where's the Party
    • Now I'm Following You
    • Vogue
    I have enough bootlegs of that show, and trust me... some shows are downright painful to listen to. Her voice was so ragged by the end of the tour, she could barely hit a note. I always found it interesting that Causing a Commotion wasn't lipped given the difficult choreography. But out of 17 songs... I think she's earned 4 mimed performances. Not to mention the fact that Madonna was really dancing.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

@ijustdontknow don't do it until i get his ;)

ijustdontknow likes this.
  14. zen

zen Senior Member

With all the albums Adele has sold...she's the one that needs the exclamation point in her name. ;)

ijustdontknow likes this.
  15. The7thStranger

Back to RedTube for me then...
    Yours would just be an outright nudie.

16. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

[​IMG]

johnaltman and The7thStranger like this.
  17. johnaltman

But I'm under 45, you wouldn't be interested

18. The7thStranger

Oh, not to hook you in. Just so I can get some general pointers on my photography and sense of dramatic lighting.

19. johnaltman

Totally.. that's what I wanted yours for too..
    What a coincidence..
    [​IMG]

20. The7thStranger

[​IMG]

johnaltman likes this.
  21. johnaltman

@TheSeventhStranger always commenting that she can't dance, check out this move

[​IMG]

are you humbled or what?? :p

The7thStranger likes this.
  22. Grant

She made the switch right after she got a divorce from her first husband who kept her doing those AC songs. A lot of those AC songs are classics. She had a few decent R&B hits, but never attained the same status and sales she had before then. Go back and listen to all those songs she did in the late 90s on Columbia before she went to Virgin Records. All forgettable. The only song I can even think of that she's done in the last few years is "Obsessed", which was a (pretend?) answer song to Eminem. (I say "pretend" because with Eminem, you never know if the situation is real, or secretly manufactured as an inside joke.)

You'd be surprised how many fans like me are clamoring for some of these vary capable singers to do jazz albums. You have to admit that Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, or Lady Gaga could expertly pull it off. Two of them have already given us a taste of it.

23. Grant

P!nk is a helluva singer, and Adele just does what she wants. I don't think they pander to their audience.

24. JohnnyQuest

I believe we've discussed this topic before. "One Sweet Day" was her longest running #1 record and that's pure R&B. "We Belong Together" is considered one of the biggest comeback singles of all time and was voted as the song of the decade. Don't get it twisted, just because the older folks and AC lovers didn't like or "get" her R&B transition doesn't mean it was a unsuccessful move. Forgettable? :tsk: Speak for yourself. Those songs were part of the soundtrack to my youth. (Honey, Breakdown, Heartbreaker, etc.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  25. Grant

Oh, I got her switchover to R&B! I totally understand why she did it. I'm just saying that it came with mixed results. And, her initial fans weren't all older. An awful lot of girls/women who were in their teens and twenties in the early 90s aspired to sing like her. I know quite a few!

I have all of her hits, so I remember "One Sweet Day", and the rest. They put me to sleep. I tapped out after "Dreamlover". I remember how I thought her sampling "Genius Of Love" for "Fantasy". And, I thought Brenda K. Starr's "I Believe" was better than her remake.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.