Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm not letting go of anything that plays SACD's. Who knows how long SACD players will be sold...and I have plenty of SACD's.

ben_wood, Doug_B, soundboy and 3 others like this.
  2. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Amen.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm with you! I have a 103 and 105D with no plans to sell either one.

soundboy likes this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The number of SACD players out there is impressive, so I've no worries in that regard. It was always a niche format, likewise the other niche formats, but it looks like it has legs in it yet. One hopes at any rate...!

scobb likes this.
  5. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I'm glad you like SACD. I prefer Vinyl. I have about 5 SACD's that I never use because I prefer the vinyl versions. I have about 2 and a half dozen HDTracks. It's just a non feature for me. I won't buy another SACD in the future.

6. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

For someone who is greatly concerned about multichannel analog outs, I would have expected you to be heavily invested in multichannel SACDs. My suggestion: rip those SACDs to ISO for future-proofing before you sell your 105.

7. Funky54

Here's how it went for me. I invested a bunch of money into my CD collection. I bought the best I could afford to make CD sound as good as possible…only to buy a $25 yard sale Pioneer PL530 turntable for kicks. After sorting a preamp issue I discovered to my dismay that my $1200 CD player couldn't sound as good as my $25 turntable and 30 year old molded records. I dropped all forward movement with any digital format in two channel. I drank the koolaide in the mid to late 80's. I resent the years upon years that I wasted on CD. I never knew why I just stopped listening to music for hours on end. I thought I matured… the truth is digital wears me out. I listen to vinyl hours everyday and love it more each day.

The next issue was TRUE direct bypass and 100% analog pass through for a preamp because I have a all in one Two Channel / Theater room and system. So analog became important because I loved my processor for its true pass through with vinyl. Now, I can't keep that advantage if I want Atmos too. Hence the Oppo advantage from the past is gone for me.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I can understand your desire for analog especially with your interest in vinyl. What I really don't understand is your interest in analog for Atmos. In my opinion there never will be 4k Atmos players or processors with analog outputs/inputs to handle Atmos/DTS-X. The other factor is Atmos and DTS-X media is all digital. So what's the advantage of using analog even if it was possible? You make that point when you say your $25 TT spinning vinyl is better than your Oppo 105 playing CDs using analog.

9. russk

russk Forum Resident

Ok I'm a new to this stuff so I have to ask why $500? From everything I've read about the Sony it looks like it's going g to be priced well over a $1000. At $500 it seems like a no brainer.

10. russk

russk Forum Resident

And one more question for anyone. Am I reading this right? Does the BDP203 have analog stereo outs? It sure looks like it when looking at the videos of the back where the analog outs are labeled 7.1/5.1/stereo. Thanks for any answers.

11. Funky54

Yes

12. Funky54

With any new product the R&D expense drives the cost up. After a few months it "usually" sees small incremental drops in price. I for see the cost of the Sony being at the $500 mark soon. The Oppo is better made. But if it doesnt have a streaming solution included at teh same price teh Sony at $500 will be better for me with my specific needs.

13. Funky54

Well Ive mentioned this over and over. Currently i do not have a processor with the right HDMI inputs for 4k or Atmos. I use analog. "IF" the Oppo had been engineered for providing Atmos processing and then send the digital to analog converted signal preamped out through analog outs... Id be golden. If it sent a converted to analog signal out that wasn't volume controlled Id still be golden. But thats not where the tech went. SO, its not a solution for me. Lots have commented that it would drive the cost up yada, yada, yada, truth they could. IF $500 AVR's can do 5.1.2 and send the powered signal to speakers.. the Oppo could have been engineered to do the Decoding and conversion to Analog and then out the analog outs. One of the big reasons Oppo is so great for audio is their fantastic decoding of Digital to Analog conversion. Now thats sort of useless to me. Because its no longer my processor... its just a transport. Sony or Pannisonic can do that reasonable well. SO again, I don't see the "solutions" I need coming from the Oppo.

Its like I keep saying that what's important to me about my next Car is its cargo capacity and everyone keeps replying "yeah but This motorcycle can run the quarter in under 9 seconds." Its a great motorcycle..but I need the cargo capacity.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I had a similar experience when I bought my Cambridge 752BD. Got it in a sale, new, for I think, £400, which is effectively half price. The Oppo 105D goes for £1100.

I loved the Cambridge from the word go, it was on the money for my needs and had the sound I liked, but it also looked good too. I'd read enough about both to know the differences probably weren't going to be so huge in the players that I was going to spend another £700 more to find out! And not for a player I didn't like especially aesthetically either, that big blocky style that it, Arcam and Onkyo went for.

Still didn't stop folk from going "but but but but......". So I hear ya!

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's all well and good. But a $500 AVR is built and sold to provide processing for sources such as players like Oppo. Players such as those sold by Oppo are not built to be processors. In that they don't offer Atmos processing or 5.1.2 analog outputs. Adding those features would drive up the cost of Oppo players and that's quite obvious. Do you think a manufacturer could add a 4k capable transport to a $500 AVR and keep the cost at $500? Using the $500 AVR as an analogy doesn't hold water in the least IMO.

As a matter of fact what $500 AVRs offer 5.1.2 analog outputs? Oppo's top of the line players such as the 83SE, 95 and 105 are targeted to buyers for their analog output capability. Some even use them as "processors" with most of them for two channel. Using current Oppo players as a multichannel processor brings with it compromises. Such as limited bass management, minimal HDMI inputs and no room correction.

I have to ask in all seriousness do you really feel that Oppo can put out a player such as the upcoming 205 with onboard Atmos processing and 5.1.2 analog outputs and keep the price at say $1299 which is the current price of the 105D? In other words do you feel those additional features don't cost a manufacturer anything to include in a component?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What type/model of processor/receiver would you connect to a (hypothetical) BD player with Atmos decoding?

There won't be a BD/UHD player with built-in Atmos decoding via analog outputs.

I understand you want a car with cargo capacity, I'm trying to understand why you're trying to park such car in a garage that is the size and shape of a dinner plate?

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. Funky54

I don't know. That's up to them. Again I'm not saying they don't have a great product. I'm saying what they provide doesn't provide the solutions "I" need so I'm going to keep my option open.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. Funky54

Again……… My previous investment with Oppo was 1) great audio for two channel with fantastic DAC's 2) with analog outs I compartmentalized the DAC conversion to the Oppo and could continue to use my Processor that had great direct pass through for non processing volume control. 3) streaming Netflix and Pandora for casual back yard and whole house listening (connected to my Crestron system)

No which of those three solutions is it doing for me today? Your answer is zero. = I don't see why I would pick Oppo.

I'm not saying any player will handle all three. I have to do a new processor. There is now no extra reason to choose Oppo. It won't process. It won't save me from having to buy a better processor and it doesn't stream. All I need is a transport.

19. Funky54

SamS, BillMac

Let's do this another way. Your an Oppo Salesman.

I am a potential client. My needs are:
    - Play 4K physical content
    - Stream Netflix and internet radio
    - Give Atmos to my Processor to decode and convert to analog so I can hook up my amps

Ok sell to me.

Now the Pannisonic and Sony Salesman can pitch to me as well.

Guess what, from my needs Pannisonic and Sony can do more of what's important to me than you can.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If all you need is "transport", then virtually and BD/UHD/universal player will do. Why do you need Atmos decoded into analog within a player? What would you send those 9.1.4 analog outputs into?

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm not trying to steer you to one player vs. another, and it sounds like you already have a solution ;)

My only struggle was around why you needed Atmos decoding inside the player. The UDP-203 is not the right solution for everyone, nor is the Sony! Choice is good, which is why I broke down the features of each of the UHD players available, earlier in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  22. Funky54

Well if a physical media 4 K player could process atmos and then convert to an analog signal out, I would go to the analog inputs of my current processor that sends the signal straight to my amps. Then my processor would just be acting as a volume control and direct true bypass out.

Since I will have to upgrade my processor and go HDMI, I will likely buy the marantz 7702 processor. And from it I will go analog out to the analog input of my amplifiers.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm still not getting what you were trying to do. If you're referring to your processor (Outlaw 950?), it only has 5.1 analog inputs. Where Atmos (at minimum) supports 5.1.2. In other words, even if a player decoded Atmos via analog outputs, you'd have no way to get those x.x.2 "height" channels into your processor's volume control, anyways. Even with a processor with a 7.1 analog input, you'd likely be fighting a losing battle trying to configure 5.1.2 into 7.1 analog, as many Atmos/DTS:X soundtracks have 7.1 "bed" channels that you'd have to downsample to 5.1.2 to get any height information. Again, big car into too small garage :)

A Marantz 7702 would be a smart choice, and give you plenty of connection, and player options.

Bill Mac likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Guess what, you've apparently totally missed the points that a few of us are trying to get across to you. This isn't about Oppo or any other brands but about your insistence to have specific features that don't exist. I have absolutely no desire to sell you on any component no matter what the brand is. There is nothing to sell to you as what you want doesn't exist at this time and will most likely not in the future. Your need for a 4K player to "give" Atmos to your processor makes no sense at all to me.

If the Panasonic or the Sony do more of what you need then buy one. Why the need for anyone here to "sell" you on anything? Why all the drama?

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Once again what you want to do is not possible as the hardware does not exist at this time. SamS explained why it's not possible with current processors with a 7.1 analog input quite well. I'm at a loss for words that you do not understand that.
    Do you realize that every prepro and AVR with preouts send an analog signal out to ones amps? Nothing unique about that as far as I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.