Any fans of The Big Bang Theory on CBS?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

So. Last nights episode. I watched it but I hardly remember it. So tired of Wolowitz.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

He's part of the original ensemble that was instrumental in making this show into such a ratings (and money making) juggernaut. The actors' pay is commensurate with how much cash the show rakes in, as it's always been.

I thought the 2nd episode was better than the opening one, though I do feel it has become tired and should be put to rest after this season.

MikaelaArsenault and eddiel like this.
  3. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I really enjoy this series, but I have to admit last night's episode was pretty bad. The storyline was boring and got very few laughs.

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Better than the season premier, but dragging the reveal out to next episode by having them play with the eye scanner for five minutes instead of entering the room was lame.

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I didn't even see that is was on. Maybe after last week's introduction to everyone in Leonard and Sheldon's family, I kind of got lost. I'll watch it this weekend.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The eye scanner bit was probably the best part! It harks back to the old days with the boys geeking out over cool new tech with child like delight. I loved that scene.

7. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Finally watched the Monday episode. Shouldn't have bothered, easily one of the five worst episodes ever.

"That was painful to watch." - Howard

Indeed!!

MikaelaArsenault and rburly like this.
  8. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

This once entertaining show is now tedious to sit through....but it still gets ratings so it will drag on for a few more years, dying a slow death like Two and a Half Men. Then we will never see any of these actors again unless they leak a sex tape.

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I hope Chuck Lorre, has courage to pull the plug this year.

MikaelaArsenault and Keith V like this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Jim Parsons has appeared on Broadway several times, to great acclaim. Don't think he'll have any problems.
    Simon Helberg just got excellent reviews for his work in "Florence Foster Jenkins" where he held his own against Meryl Streep. He's been in a lot of movies.
    Kunal Nayyar has appeared Off Broadway and is an excellent dramatic actor.

MikaelaArsenault, kevywevy and rburly like this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I think Parsons could carry a new show, either as Sheldon or someone extremely similar.
    If it's a spin off, Penny and Amy would have to appear frequently though. I'm kind of tired of the rest....
    Bring back Kripkee (spelling?)

MikaelaArsenault and BGLeduc like this.
  12. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Kripke

13. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

He (John Ross Bowie) is co-starring on "Speechless".

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Good episode last night. Best one in a long time. When that happens, it makes still watching worth it.

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I think Jim Parsons would make a great Mister Rogers in a reboot or a movie.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

My wife and I went back to season one a couple years ago to watch them in chronological order. The last few years got progressively less entertaining. We were roughly halfway through last season and gave up. We deleted the remainder of the season and the current season from the DVR. I think the beginning of the end was the episode they padded with some pretty lame karaoke bits.

17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Giving them all GFs and/or wives was a bad thing to do. After Leonard got married, it basically forced their hand to move Sheldon out and start living with Amy. Of the original 4, the only one without a GF/wife right now is Raj, but for awhile he even had one. But he isn't as "nerdy" as he used to be. He is no longer relying on his rich parents money and is becoming independent. He is no longer shy around girls, etc.

Watching this show now is totally different than the first few years. No longer a bunch of nerdy, smart friends hanging together. Now they seem like childish grown men tied down with family/GFs who get together for "nerdy" things/hobbies for the sake of nostalgia.

The saddest part is now the nerdiest loser character of the show isn't even one of the original four. It's Stuart, the comic book store guy. Not only does he come across as a big nerd but as a big loser who mooches off of Howard and Bernadette.

Don't get me wrong, there are still funny moments the show offers each week, but it just feels like a completely different show than it started out to be.

I don't think I will watch the young Sheldon spinoff, especially if it will be on during a time of other shows I watch.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The pathetic Stuart thing really is getting old.

dalem5467 likes this.
  19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Even the early seasons were a "TV" version of what nerds tend to be (meaning the type that really play Dungeons and Dragons for days on end, etc.), but those early seasons were much closer, the closest TV has gotten to doing something sort of realistic and also funny.

Now the show, much like "nerd culture" is more akin to the Hot Topic brand of nerd, the fake trendy "cool to be a nerd" sort of nerd.

The show currently also on the opposite side of the spectrum has a weird dissonance because the girlfriend/wife characters still treat things that used to be "nerd" but are mainstream now (like "cosplaying" and going to Comic Con, etc.) as if they are still weird, fringe nerd things.

And yeah, Stuart is the funniest, most realistic "nerd" on the show, in that he's a social outcast as much as he's into "nerdy" things. The showrunners don't seem to be worried that all of their main cast are kind of unlikeable in that they treat Stuart like crap all the time.

20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The only angle where I do think it gets tired is the whole weird thing with Stuart and Raj both being essentially groupies of the couple and their baby. Neither Howard or Bernadette are particularly likeable people, and certainly not likeable to the point of essentially raising their kid for them. Then it gets worse when we still get the "Sitcom 101" storylines where the couple are burned out on the baby, even though they're doing well financially, have a house, and have two live-in nannies doing a bunch of the work.

Keith V likes this.
  21. misterjones

I know it would have been hard to maintain the original nerd premise, but I found those shows to be the most entertaining.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You're not alone. I think up to season 4 it was a pretty solid show. After that I think it started to get progressively wonky. I find that this season has had some good laughs though.

23. misterjones

un
    I also thought Leonard's mother was a bit (or more) over-the-top. I did not think her relationship with her son was at all funny. I believe there was one show that featured both mothers that we just turned off. It was painful and unfunny. I watched BBT for the humor, not the sledgehammer pathos.

I also was surprised how awful they made the "meemaw" character in the episode in which she first appeared.

24. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

1. I love Stuart, he's comedy gold.

2. It was a mistake to add a child to the show.

3. Since they went ahead and made the mistake of having a child in the show they are making an even bigger mistake keeping her off screen. There's humor and dare I say hilarity to be had with someone like Sheldon interacting with a baby.

4. They should/should have made Raj gay.

5. No show can maintain itself for this long. That's not an excuse, personally I think the show is circling the drain. The last couple of years of Seinfeld the characters were so over the top it ruined it, and that's widely considered the best show of all time.

6. I have zero interest in a Sheldon prequel.

Keith V and misterjones like this.
  25. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

You've nailed it on all points! Love the show, but it's been 11 seasons. Not many tv sitcoms can last 11 seasons and still be funny. Time to wrap it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.