New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

Kind of a sad quote.

The character of the music is important. I think like people no one is flawless... and looking for someone with those characteristics will ultimately be disappointing

SibilanceSegs likes this.
  2. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Anyone notice the anomaly on the spine of AHM, where they put the PFRLP5 right next to the album title, rather than at the bottom of the spine?

Anyway, beautifully packaged from Amazon.uk, all three separately packaged in a larger box with bubble packing. Each LP is absolutely unmarred and flat. I've listened to AHM, and I thought it sounded great. It's true that side 2 is sonically better, but as discussed above thread, the AHM suite may have suffered from so many tracks and overdubs. To be completely honest, when I get the quad AHM in the Early Years box, I don't know how much I'll play the stereo LP.

Looking forward to OBC and Meddle.

Pancat, pinkrudy and SergioRZ like this.
  3. spitback

spitback Forum Resident

I haven't actually read this thread in a while but I'm just so damn pleased with the Meddle and Obscured reissues. That's all.

ODShowtime, LarsO, Pancat and 5 others like this.
  4. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Glad 'Meddle' is turning out good, mine arrives tomorrow :)... gonna be a long day at work lol.. waiting...

Joti Cover and Vinyl Dude like this.
  5. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

All mine-the U.S. editions, by the way-have black poly-lined inners as well, OBC included. The only difference on that one is, perhaps because the jacket's rounded corners, they had to compensate by using the cut-corner EU-style sleeves, whereas the inners on the other two had the regular sharp corners.

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

My EU OBC does not have a poly lined inner.

Hattipper likes this.
  7. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I think only the US edition have them.

tkl7 and Hattipper like this.
  8. SimonJester

SimonJester New Member

Anyone have any guess when Amazon US will have the next three pre orders?

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I preordered Animals on Amazon UK about 3 months ago. They should be popping up very soon.
    I'm assuming they are shipping in late October, as my delivery estimate is Nov 5-10.

Hattipper likes this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, that is what I was getting at.

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I wouldn't assume that. Animals was originally scheduled to come out in July according to the pre order place holder. I expect the next three will actually come out in December or January, perhaps with DSOTM and WYWH jumping in around late November.

I could be wrong though!

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

You may be right, but I preordered Animals and Meddle in the same order.
    Animals is "pending" in my bank account ever since Meddle shipped. But, that may be only because they were in the same order.

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I pre ordered them at the same time. but different orders, and it just says pre-ordered. I assume it is pending, since they had different release dates. I believe the place holder for animals originally listed July 1st.

14. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

That's how it appears on early UK pressings. Except it's SHVL 781.

Jack likes this.
  15. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Amazon.uk offers the preorder for Wish You Were Here Vinyl (14 Oct. 2016) [https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-inkl-...1475069271&sr=1-1&keywords=Wish+You+Were+Here] also expects The Dark Side Of The Moon [VINYL] (4 Nov. 2016) [https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00536OCZA]. But I am very much confused by Label: EMI Catalogue. I don't understand, it is a mistake or this edition out of PLG UK Catalog 2016? Somebody has exact information?

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Those links are for the 2012 versions. I know this for certain because when I click on them it tells me I already bought them....which I did.

17. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Many thanks for the answer! I don't want to make mistakes and to buy unnecessary. I won't do this order.

jon9091 likes this.
  18. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Meddle was £18 in Sainsbury's supermarket so I purchased it but was careful as some copies looked warped in the shrinkwrap. Just played it and comparing to a UK first pressing and a UK mid 80s pressing on a Black Harvest label. The new version has a noticeable amount of bass but you need the volume up. Reminds me of the 1st UK which is also cut quiet. The new one doesn't have the crispness of the 1st press but does have a nice smoothe full sound and I am getting the details. The 80s press is cut louder and very nice too. Essentially these are all very good versions that present the music differently. The cover of the new one is noticeably red shifted and lacking detail but I do like the textured cover inside and out which mimics the original very well. The photo reproduction of the band is poor if they were attempting to reproduce the original. The photo has a grainy quality. The credits on the new version are different and list Richard Wright instead of Rick Wright and the cover design has a different credit on this new version. It is easy to recommend the new version overall.

Pancat, puelche, spitback and 5 others like this.
  19. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Second run through of OBC, and I am liking it much better since my last post claiming that it's thin. No, it's not a hulking behemoth, but it has great clarity, is very very quiet and is such a great record. I am glad that I got through my hatred of them (due to my dislike of The Wall, WYWH, and Final Cut). Piper->Meddle is a damn good run of releases.

20. marigoldilemma

I am hearing more sibilance on Pillow of Winds than San Tropez. It's not bad on Pillow, but there is a bit. Still, this pressing sounds wonderful. Dead quiet and nice clarity and definition.

dkmonroe and Joti Cover like this.
  21. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

In a review posted last Friday, I remarked that the new Obscured By Clouds seemed very bass shy and thin. I have to admit, after a few more spins with the tube amp good and warm, it is nowhere near as thin as my initial impression. It's actually not bad at all in the low end. I think my problem was that I was originally spinning it right after I had done a shootout with a UK pressing of Meddle, which goes pretty deep and so what I was hearing was a relative lack of bass -- and perhaps my amp wasn't fully warmed up either. Anyway, I'm on board now with the idea that the low end on this remaster is not bad at all. In fact, it's quite nice. The overall clarity is still jarring after hearing other presentations for 30 years, but I'm getting used to it :)

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Those two songs have had that problem forever. If they've tamed it just a little bit in either song, it's a great accomplishment!

23. marigoldilemma

Nice to know my system is being faithful here. I have to say, when the funky part of Echoes drops in, it sounded extremely cool on my system. The image was dead solid and the kick drum and bass were almost 3D. Very satisfied with Meddle 2016.

OBC is on now and I think it's quite nice, but not revelatory (so far...I'm on The Gold It's In The...). The sleeve is very different from my 70s US copy. Even the pictures on the back are different. Resolution of the images on the new one is pretty low. I like the matte paper.

rontoon and Pancat like this.
  24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Of course anyone that has compared Meddle with a 1/1 U.K. ..don't be shy now.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Improvement is most noticeable on "Stay." Sounds great on the new LP.