Sting "57th & 9th" - New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I think that type of cover art worked better in the 70s. I don't know if that's because of the development of cameras or the city. It just looks like a random picture, there's no atmopshere to it.

2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Maybe it's having an artist as a best friend, but once you learn to spot Photoshop fails, they will haunt the hell out of you. Even one of those '70s Hipgnosis collage jobs would have more vibe than this! :laugh:

Max Florian and the sands like this.
  3. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Reported to be his first 'rock' album in decades. Have to say I've never been a Sting fan outside of The Police but the songs he performed on last night's 'Later with Jools Holland' where promising. Might have to buy this!

4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Missed Jools Holland (out of the country on hols) but will get to see it when I get back to England. What's the title all about? What's at that address/map reference?

5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Yeah, the extended show will be broadcast on Friday! It is an odd title, will have to do some research to it's meaning?

Andy Smith likes this.
  6. jimfromny

jimfromny Forum Resident

57th and 9th is the intersection in New York City that Sting passed each day as he walked to the studio during the period while the album was being recorded.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sting is performing (presumably a new song) on Jimmy Fallon's show tonight.

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I hope there are pics of his feet inside the gatefold.......

Max Florian and SweetTea like this.
  9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Direction to the band.... "Try to sound like Andy and Stewart, ok?"... ;)

Max Florian and Yovra like this.
  10. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Let's hope he does another Jaguar commercial with those hot dancing girls

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I think these new songs are the best thing sting has done in about 20 years

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

He already had! This new album sounds pretty good once you get past the horrendous cover.

13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I guess he wanted to make a Police-album without the ego-clashes. I always found Sting's best tunes the ones that could have been Police-songs; All This Time and Seven Days both have many of the Police-hallmarks.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  14. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

You may be right, but I think the tension helped...

of course this is easy to say when you're not part of it... :)

15. agentalbert

Sting played "I Can't Stop Thinking About You" on the Tonight Show tonight. Sounded pretty good, though Sting's vocals were too low in the mix. No video online yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

Is "flute" short for "f'ing lute"?
    OK... better. I think something like that would be a fitting tribute to Prince. The album cover as it stands does have the look and feel of Prince Charming. Someone mentioned a gatefold sleeve – to me, a gatefold sleeve on a single album (is it a single vinyl?) should be for top quality album art that does or shows something interesting. Otherwise it's a personal insult. As Prince Charming was. (I expect there's a worst album cover ever thread somewhere, which I will try to find forthwithish.)

I was/am a big Police fan and bought all the singles and albums as a kid and I still listen to them (I cleaned and played all the albums only last week) but I don't hanker after a new Police album. I thought the tour and live album was a great idea to celebrate what they achieved in pop and rock music but I don't think any of them are now the musicians they were in the early 80s. I don't think it would be the same.

Each to his own but I really don't mind this at all. I have no problem with Sting or anyone else incorporating their political views into their music and I don't take it as them telling me what to think as much as them revealing what they think. I suppose I'd bridle at a track that sounded like "this album's climate change song" rather than an honest attempt to convey an idea but I don't think Sting's a hack and I doubt he'd sacrifice the song for the message. I'd be interested to re-listen to any tracks where you think he's done this – not that I think I'd change my mind and not that I'd try to change yours; I just don't get pissed off by Sting (even by his remarkable "burn from the first bar" ego days) but I know some people do so it's interesting.

I liked The Last Ship and I appreciated Sting's ambition with the historical stuff (and I've long been an Italo Calvino fan), even if I didn't love the works. Sting's solo career is a Chrismas staple in our house, especially the Bring On The Night and All This Time videos, and with the Studio Collection and this new album, I expect we'll have another Stingy Chrismas this year. He's a good bass player, has a good voice, and is a very good songwriter; I'll be very surprised if I dislike this album. I haven't listened to the single yet and I probably won't bother until I hear it as part of the album.

17. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The mix was horrible, as you said, the vocals were buried. But other than that it sounds like a good song.

18. agentalbert

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

F Sting...he can shove it up his pretentious ass sideways. Ruined one of the very best bands ever to exist because of his desire to record AC tripe. And yes I am STILL pissed off about it.

Darrin L., tspit74 and JasonA like this.
  21. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Brilliant!!

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i wouldn't call his first few solo albums tripe at all, in actuality they are really really quite good.

Max Florian and mikedifr0923 like this.
  24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

They are really, really AC crap...like the junk he forced into the mix on Synchronicity. But...to each his own.

25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I respect your opinion but disagree. But as with a lot of music it comes down to taste. It's cool that you seem to like early Police.

Claudio Dirani and mbrownp1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.