Teenage Fanclub - "Here"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marty T, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

I can't wait for this one. I love the reflective wistfulness of "Man-Made" and "Shadows". They age so well. Hoping that this is a continuation of that sound.

D.B. and JoeRockhead like this.
  2. APH

APH Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. Seems like you have been very unlucky. Ordered mine from the website, it came on release day. Signed clear vinyl, it plays perfectly.
    After all the hassle I had with the MPO represses of the Belle and Sebastian albums, which had loads of no fill, I was glad that the Fanclub album (also pressed at MPO I think) plays with no issues.

3. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Really, really gutted over this. It's been painful to see photos of others with the record (and I don't mean that selfishly) and the discussions over it. I knew I was in potential trouble when i had an LP delivered from Wales on the 8th that arrived on the 10th. I have to say though, the pretty lacklustre care and response from the website has been a bit shocking. I'll wait the 15 working days required for them to claim back from Royal Mail, but something tells me that my £40 will be a long , long way off.....if I even get it back at all.

4. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I like this album quite a lot, very catchy, breezy and menacing all at once. A relative newcomer to Teenage Fanclub but a good song's a good song and this new album has plenty of those.

JoeRockhead and Man at C&A like this.
  5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I might be jumping the gun, but right now I'd say this album is better than both Man-Made and Shadows.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

thanks, will do.

7. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan Thread Starter

Amoeba in Hollyweird has many copies of the the clear vinyl edition. They have an online store.

8. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Just received my signed clear copy from Monorail yesterday in the mail. Happy to report it arrive undamaged. The vinyl itself is flat, dead quiet and sounds great. Just done with Side 1 and it's a really lovely and mellow album. Going to be spinning this multiple times this weekend. Also just got the new Wilco in last week so these two will be residing on the turntable for some time.

hamicle likes this.
  9. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Blimey.....It get's to India safely but doesn't get to London at all. Pleased for you that it turned up ok. My order placed in June has gone out the window. I ordered the black vinyl and the signed clear vinyl, shipped on September 8th they say but nothing ever turned up.

10. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Yes, I'd say the same. The best since "...Northern Britain".

11. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I loved Teenage FanClub in the 90s when I was listening to Britpop, however havent bought any albums since Words of Wisdom and Hope ( I thought this LP had a cool VU vibe as opposed to their old Big Star vibe, and refreshed the band a lot after the previous 2 LP which I thought were a bit 'samey').

This thread doesnt inspire to rush out and buy the new album. But I am definitely in the mood for Banwagonesque. I love Bandwagonesque.

12. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

hard to compare WOWAH to the rest of the catalogue when there's a different lead vocalist singing his own lyrics. but also disagree that Songs From Northern Britain and Howdy! were "samey"...

13. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Their worst record in my opinion , together with " The King " and that Jad Fair thing

JoeRockhead likes this.
  14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

clearly head and shoulders above those two. on a par with everything since SFNB to me. they've hardly changed their signature sound and besides some questionable mix/mastering issues it's of typically high quality.
    my favourite rock/pop album of 2016 to date.

JoeRockhead and swedgin like this.
  15. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Not much love for 'that Jad Fair thing'! Am I the only one who rates it?

16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it's a fine record but hard to see it as a Teenage Fanclub album although they get top billing. i personally find it frustrating knowing that three of my favourite singer songwriters are there in the studio but not singing or contributing lyrics. the same thing happened when they performed live... i'm sure 99% of the audience were waiting for the Teenage Fanclub part of the set.

17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

HMV finally got in their 1 copy of the clear vinyl version, just picked it up. They are not sure they'll get more. Does anyone know how many copies were pressed of the clear? Some of the shops in town either don't have it at all, or are carrying the black vinyl in stock.

Can't wait to spin this baby tonight!

18. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I'm not sure how many were pressed. I got my replacement earlier than expected, it's in better shape but a little crackly in places.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

agreed!

20. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Never got either of the signed clear vinyl or black vinyl that I ordered......and getting replacements/or refund is proving just as frustrating.

21. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. I got my signed clear vinyl here in the States last Thursday. Good luck with yours

22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

not sure of the official numbers but there are two pressings, Merge for the US and PeMa elsewhere. both companies are offering clear and black.
    while not quite as unlucky, i ended up buying four vinyl copies in a bid to find an unwarped PeMa clear to go in the signed sleeve. for once amazon japan messed up, first sending me a Merge black vinyl when advertising it as an EU clear (returned), followed by an EU black which i kept as a playing copy. finally i found a single copy of the PeMa clear (unsigned) in Tower Records which i switched with my warped copy. i now have three vinyl copies along with the Japanese and EU (signed) CDs, the cassette and the hi-res download. i'm glad they only release an album once every five or six years!

23. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Sorry you're having such a nightmare with it!

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Errrr is it supposed to sound this way?

Something went wrong here....does not sound good IMO.

25. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Unfortunately, I was a bit underwhelmed by this album. Too mellow and just kind of a singular vibe. Can't fault the musical performances, or songs, but I was hoping for some more variety. This ended up being one of those albums I'd have to be in the mood to want to listen to it, instead of something I woukd want to throw on anytime for repeated listens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.