Bruce Springsteen "Chapter & Verse", the companion album to autobiography w/5 unreleased tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

It will come for sure, possibly with a tour similar to The River re-boot as well, but I'm afraid we'll have to wait awhile based on past history and projects already in the can.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  2. This is all true. I was just being sarcastic. It does bug me that he has a clause in the contract for it, but doesn't deliver a "Anniversary Box" on the 30th of perhaps the biggest album to be released in the 80s. I'm glad there will be one coming some day, though.

3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

His playing was very good yes. But he didn't have the songs nor his voice back then. It was a good thing that he didn't sign with Bill Graham in 1970.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. You are true about that, but I like the songs then a lot. Your right about his "voice", but the biker cowboy thing was pretty cool. I guess it would of been optimal had he kept those incredible chops up with what he "became". I think a lot of his songs would of been bettered by his early 70s guitar playing. But the grab and squeal does work on BITUSA, TOL and Lucky Town. I think all of the records up to Nebraska could of really used some bombastic grit like "Going Down To Georgia", etc.

5. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Something like THIS, perhaps???:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JoeF. and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

War Nurse and Hollywood Kids are to me 2 acoustic Greetings era favorites.

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I just started reading this one last week , i'm only up to the touring of the 1st album , so far so good ............ be curious how his book will be compared to this for sure .
    I'll probably wait a bit as well , i have stacks of music biographies to catch up on .

8. The Peter Carlin book is exceptional. Something interesting I noticed, a recent picture of Springsteen in his home studio/office looking over some papers with the Carlin book on the table. I'm hoping Springsteen will open up and make his book worth reading. We will see.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Keep in mind that the three album box sets have been released in 2005, 2010, and 2015. Seems like a pattern to me, though I hope we don't have to wait until 2020 for the next one.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  10. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Download coupon inside ....

jsb! likes this.
  11. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

I just listened to my MPO pressed copy of this, and sadly it is not good. There's a persistent "swishing noise" that's prevalent on all four sides, although side three is not as bad as the others. I did give it an RCM cleaning, but to no avail. Disappointing since most of the MPO vinyl I've purchased has been stellar.

12. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I would also like to recommend the book Saint in the City by Craig Statham -- it covers his life up through 1974.

You can see it here:

https://www.amazon.com/Springsteen-Saint-1949-1974-Craig-Statham/dp/0957144237

It's not definitive like BRUCE or BORN TO RUN but it does have new info via new interviews that covers that period pretty well. If you're looking for early Bruce info this book is a nice addition to the overall picture.

13. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Equally frustrating is the unreleased take of "Jungleland" that they tease us with in the "Wings For Wheels" documentary from 2005. It has a dramatic introduction with Suki Lahav on violin. Bruce says something like, "We should've used that one". I'd like to hear the whole deal. Maybe the take was incomplete, I'm not sure.

14. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

My copy plays fine, no swish.

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"The Ballad of Jesse James" reminds me of The Band's "The Weight" in an odd way, but with a little bit of Van Morrison at the end.
    "Henry Boy" seems to be an embryonic version of both "Rosalita" and "Blinded by the Light".
    Speaking of embryonic versions of "Rosalita", the long-circulated "Prodigal Son" has a line in it that begins, "Poppa's on the corner..." I wonder if this is an even earlier version of what would eventually grow into "Rosalita."

That's what's so fun about the publishing demos--hearing clues that would be echoed on later, more fleshed out songs. Listen to "Randolph Street" and then "Bobby Jean."

16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have the colored Vinyl pressing , i have only played lp#1 so far , but it played flawless , Zero noise at all , among the better pressed lp's i have bought in a while ........... hoping lp#2 is the same .

17. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

Good to hear it's not a wide-ranging press problem. I'm going to try an exchange. I've always like MPO product.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I played lp#2 last night , that one was great as well as far as the pressing & no surface noise ~ good luck on the swap :)

19. matsel

matsel Well-Known Member

for those who haven't received their black vinyl version and are worried, mine came from Amazon today in the u.s. and it sounds great. just gave it a quick listen to the start of each song, but no swishing noise, so maybe I got lucky ;)

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i picked this up. traded in some unwanted stuff and snagged this for $6 after trade in. totally worth it for the 5 unreleased tunes and the last 2 songs which I don't have those two albums

dee likes this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The Born To Run box set was a huge lost opportunity in terms of being a potential vehicle for releasing some of the highly intriguing alternate takes and mixes from the Born To Run sessions. There clearly were not many traditional outtakes from BTR, but the material went through various stages of development and it is a real tease hearing it in such great sound quality on the documentary.

22. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Can anyone comment how the Chapter & Verse CD sounds? Is is all newly remastered or only the 5 unreleased tracks perhaps? Do the majority of the songs use the recent Plangent remasters and do the songs sound very similar or a bit different to those remasters?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

sandy sounds great. the 5 new tracks are hit and miss I guess because of not great sources used for them. at least the pre 1986 stuff doesn't sound brickwalled to me. that's as far as I am

24. Matthew Tate

the ballad of jesse james might make my list of top 10 non studio album springsteen tunes. its that good. he's guilty is pretty good too. obviously henry boy is just an alternate lyrics tune.

as for the rest. nice to have these songs as some of the studio albums these are from i rarely play. plus most of the already released material would never be in my top bruce tunes

dee likes this.
  25. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I have to agree here. They could have easily come up with something modest like 10 tracks of outtakes, alternate takes and mixes to include. The supplementary release of the Hammersmith audio a few months later seemed like a missed opportunity too. Since we already had the video, why not released the legendary 2nd night from Hammersmith? It was also recorded, and Peter Gabriel himself declared it the second greatest concert he ever saw (after Otis Redding).

That's all hindsight though, as a bit of context is required. In 2005, I just don't think the management had the idea to release a massive box set like we've since seen with Darkness and The River. In my opinion, if a Born To Run box set was coming out now for the first time, it would have more material.

That being said, the Hammersmith video was a huge gift. They had to do a lot of work to prepare it for release. And though it often gets overlooked, the 3 songs from the Ahmanson Theater in 1973 is something that we really have no right to have. It has nothing to do with Born to Run, but if it hadn't been released then, I'm not sure when it would have been. I'm really glad to have it in its best quality even if it's not the whole set (Brucebase states that all 6 songs were filmed).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.