David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Great to know. I'll do chat when I get home.

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Yes, you reminded me that the sound of the current Nassau is so awful it's often overlooked that they ALSO edit and fade aspects of the multitrack. Bowie's loud and clear, wild and delirious repeated cries of "staaaay!" during the lengthy freakout final section are disappeared on the current version, they're IMO one of the best things about Stay in Nassau on the Ryko/EMI and boot versions.

Michael D likes this.
  3. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Brian Gardner did the Nassau mastering for the 2010/2016 Nassau CDs, right? Right or wrong for the 'rock' medium, I am hard-pressed to think of any album he has mastered that isn't nuked, or that I could listen to from start/finish without taking a break.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

He needs to be told that he wrecked one of the most important and legendary unreleased live concert recordings. And we will never forget it.

obi and Musicisthebest like this.
  5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Can anyone tell me if the hardback book contents are any different between the CD box and the vinyl box? I see the ads list the CD box set book as having about 50% more pages, but is it just smaller pages? I don't know if the physical boxes are sized differently either. Thanks.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Thanks! It worked! I finally have the Autorips!

Runicen, robtodd and xTraPlaylists like this.
  7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Vinyl box is sized for vinyl, CD box sized for CDs, and the books fit the boxes. Smaller = more pages and harder to read.

MadamAdam likes this.
  8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

dam caved in ! I just ordered the cd box!

Runicen, andy75 and pobbard like this.
  9. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Still don't think it's as bad as "Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture" compared with the old "His Master's Voice" boot from the original TV broadcast. Cut the intro, cut Jeff Beck, cut the full farewell speech, mix down guitars and mix up backing vocals... not even all the extra tracks were worth what happened to Ronson's "Moonage Daydream" solo.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  10. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

listened to diamond dogs...def enjoyed it.

ripping the rest to my library. having a hard time finding artwork for david live 2005 mix. aside from album art exchange, are there any other places you guys can recommend?

11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

BeardedSteven, Robert C and liv3evil like this.
  12. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

House mixer Robin Mayhew's complete board tape of the Hammersmith show is pretty cool too.

pobbard and Dave Thompson like this.
  13. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

14. Andysheff

Andysheff New Member

I noticed that before this box was released a lot of people were 'bashing' it, and now everyone seems happy(more or less). I thought it seemed a nice set from the beginning and although it's getting panned on here I still like nassau '76 (I have the CD set)

15. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

When reading through the 2010 deluxe StS booklet last PM, I noticed that Brian Gardner was chosen as mastering engineer for the project (Nassau) as he mastered aka cut the original StS. I did not know this! It makes it even more puzzling that he would opt to heavily limit the audio, having such a long, dynamic relationship with it.

From the booklet:

When it came time to "Master" the two projects, the first engineer of choice that came to mind was Brian Gardner who had mastered the original Station to Station back in the 70s. At the time Brian worked for Allen Zentz Mastering in Hollywood. In those days we were still using Neumann disk cutting lathes and once all of the audio decisions were made for each song......cont.

For a lark, also in the book, under "Technical Notes" (verbatim; my emphasis in bold):

Due to the nature of the flat transfers of the original analog master and RCA CD master compared to the newly mixed and mastered audio of the Station to Station 5.1 new stereo and Live Nassau '76, there is a considerable difference in level between the two formats. Please note that this is not an error and exists to maintain the integrity of the older masters used in the creation of this release. We hope this does not in anyway detract from your enjoyment of this product.

MadamAdam likes this.
  16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

original mastering engineer Gardner and original producer/mixer Maslin. time has clearly not been kind to their ears.

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just got call from Mrs SammyJoe, that my both sets (cd & vinyl) "Who Can I Be Now? (1974-1976)" have arrived to our home.
    Nice gesture from Amazon.co.uk to send these on expedited deliver for free (as I told you about little problems with my order earlier).
    So anyways, later today after I have done other little activies Im gonna make few cups of coffee and Im gonna do little listening-session here.
    Of course, when the weekend comes I will listen more properly and get fully immersed.

Runicen and JulesDassin like this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thanks for the update! Some of us love those "mine arrived. But I haven't listened to it yet" type posts. Lol!!

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Actually it's hard for me to listen since Im not home yet, well I can call Mrs. SammyJoe to play those:winkgrin:
    Ok, sure I will repost here when have done something with those shiny things in the boxsets..

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Oh, I can just visualize Mrs SammyJoe resting her behind on that precious vinyl box right now .... wondering: what will he do first when he gets home, surely It's Gonna Be Me :confused:

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

You forgot the cd-boxset:targettiphat: well, anyways I got stuff to do later today, so actual listening will take place during weekend.

22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

So, as far as The Gouster and Young Americans having different versions of the track in question, have they finally got their YA-YAs out? ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Thank god, I will be able to sleep tonight now Ben ;)

BeardedSteven, jon9091 and MadamAdam like this.
  24. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

What your opinion on the new remasters Karmaman?

dead of night likes this.
  25. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

sorry, haven't heard them. vinyl arriving tomorrow, japanese CD release still a few weeks away.