Songs That Seem To Begin "Off-Beat"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tedg65, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

I don't 'Going Underground' by The Jam this has been mentioned.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  2. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

No it doesn't, it starts on the halfbeat after 1. If you happen to know the record Prince Charming by Adam And The Ants, the intro to Yours Is No Disgrace has the same rhythm. The first chord would be on the "Don't" of "Don't you ever".

3. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

I wish 'Edit' was available for a bit longer on this forum.

audiomixer, Peace N. Love and éder like this.
  4. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

Of course. I actually love Beefheart and think Trout Mask is incredibly musical. The rhythm is actually the best part. Probably my #1 album

5. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"Honky Tonk Women" is the first one that came to mind, with that tricky cowbell which, apparently, was some kind of accident.

The closing sections of "Crime of the Century" and "From now on" -- although, of course, this would not fit the thread's criteria, strictly speaking.

SecondHandNews, Fullbug and éder like this.
  6. crlong

crlong Forum Resident

"zero from outer space" on Tom petty & The Heartbreakers "she's the one" always sounds this way to me.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Vocally, a lot by Willie Nelson

8. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Sebadoh - Licence to confuse

9. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Realized that (I think) this one does actually start on the on beat; however, the first time or two I heard it, the opening (with just the strings) sounded like it was starting on the off beat, but then when the band comes in, it's apparent that it actually starts on the on beat. Now I'm not sure if I am either correct or comprehensible. :)

10. robertash

robertash Forum Resident

11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Talking about U2: J. Swallow.

It starts with a marching beat which throws you off a bit, but when the guitar enters it's 'right', but the whole song has a wonky feel to it.

Another U2 example: Elvis Presley And America.

The drums = A Sort Of Homecoming slowed down and that's already discussed. ;)

davers likes this.
  12. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I always assumed it was a keyboard, but it is quite likely Edge's heavily processed guitar (perhaps even backed by synths).

13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Really? That one starts right on the 1 (after the little fluttery keyboard stuff). Never had an issue with that one.

audiomixer likes this.
  14. squittolo

squittolo Forum Resident

"Slip Kid" by The Who.

Crimson Witch, Fullbug and uzn007 like this.
  15. squittolo

squittolo Forum Resident

"Spanish Castle Magic" by Jimi Hendrix.

16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

"Nothing is Easy" by Jethro Tull, especially live.

Keith V likes this.
  17. thos

thos Forum Resident

That's what I think too. To me it sounds like it starts on the "and" before the 1, and sounds that way until the change (where synth comes in) at 0:40 (studio version of course). If you're still hearing it that way, you'll hear an "extra" beat just before that part starts. Once that part gets going, it's clear where the 1 is...

Live versions of the song bear this out, often there's a jam leading into the song and you can hear that the first beat is before, not after, the first main guitar chord. But the riff is deceptive sounding and the band seems to play it so it feels like the emphasis is on the other side. There's also another section where they recap the intro, and then change key and play that same riff with the drums playing a beat (4:30 on the studio version), before the guitar solo. There you can really hear where the 1 is...

Rojo likes this.
  18. davers

davers Forum Resident

The intro to Bowie's "Jump They "Say" always struck me as a bit off...I like it though!

19. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Some Zep ones:
    We're Gonna Groove
    Moby Dick : Both deceiving drum intros.

Tool - Ænima: The 'hey hey''s in the intro sound off-beat and the guitar riff that follows seems to indicate the whole song's gonna be like that, until the rhythm comes in.

Helmet - Last Breath: After the explosive intro a fast guitar riff appears until a half-time rhythm throws you off completely:

20. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

"Get Yourself Together" - Paul Butterfield Blues Band (sounds intentional)
    "Baby What's Wrong" - Jimmy Reed (sounds VERY accidental - like they could have started another take, but the groove felt too good)

21. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

Set me free by the Kinks

adlerjf and uzn007 like this.
  22. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Now I'm even more confused! I thought we were talking about "A Sort of Homecoming".

As far as I know, those are keys on the title track and yeah, it does seem to come in off-beat.

bagofsoup likes this.
  23. John54

John54 Senior Member

Bee Gees, And the Sun Will Shine:

buzzzx likes this.
  24. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

The Tragically Hip - Courage

25. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Donnie Iris-Sweet Merilee

Thread Status: