How Long Until DVD Ceases Production?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Time Is On My Side, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What were the titles? That's pretty rare in my experience. 90% of the time, the only 1970s films that are framed for 1.78 are flat films, not scope films. It is true that there are some cable channels (particularly AVX and the Disney channels) that do request a 1.78 full-frame, but it's not always exactly a pan/scan.

You assume the player will still work. There's every chance the discs will survive, but the players will rely on proprietary pickups and large-scale ICs that can't be remade and don't last. I've said before (maybe even in this thread) that I know of some audio and video formats from the last 40 years that can't be played today, because the playback devices didn't survive. We have the tapes, but nothing on which to play them.

Just try to retrieve the data from an 8" floppy disk today. Hell, try to get the data off a 5-1/4" floppy, and they sold those as recently as 10 years ago. It's not easy to do in 2016.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

The Paper Chase and Syriana; it looks like you're right about at least the latter, which was shot Super 35. Still prefer to see it in OAR but I had totally forgotten to check that and will accept a compromise for a "flat" film in a pinch, so thanks.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, with Syriana, if it was shot in Super 35mm (which most film shoots are using these days), then they could open it up top and bottom and then do small repositions for a full-frame 16x9. In effect, you'd see more than you would in a normal 2.39 theatrical release. The Paper Chase feature was totally anamorphic 35mm Panavision, so that's scope city. There's no way they should show that in 16x9 -- you'd lose quite a bit of picture area.

I honestly think a 16x9 version of a Super 35mm film can be acceptable provided the filmmakers approved that version and somebody used taste and good judgement to reframe it. I agree, though, from a purist point of view it does deviate from what people saw in the theater.

dustybooks likes this.
  4. ZoSo922

ZoSo922 New Member

I was always expecting to see memory crystals like the the old Superman movies in the 80's. With all this cloud crap now, it's really up in the air what will ever happen. Corporations are dirty and sleazy, if they want to kill optical and it looks like it, they will at some point. Blu-Ray still has lot to advance, some discs hold up to 300GB and read something about TDK working of 1TB Blu-Ray discs so what will it be for ? 3D movies seem to be horrible and give people headaches, so that seems like a real big flop.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There is work on that kind of thing with holographic data encoding inside crystals the size of a sugar cube with a ludicrous (tm) amount of storage potential.

No pun intended! :D You aren't required to use cloud services if you don't want to.

Well yes, but the decline was driven by the market's dwindling interest, not the companies' evil plans.

Archiving information?

6. ZoSo922

ZoSo922 New Member

Markets are always looking to make money and it's never really about the best interest of the buyer. Apple phone killing off the headphone jack is definitely not about dwindling interest. Same with sliding keyboards on a phone. I don't text on phones, but no way I like using a touch screen and would like a keypad. On Shark Tank TV show on CNBC, some guy had this peripheral vest to hold devices and allow you to use headphones, and Mark Cuban quickly barked that will be going wireless. That was a month before Apple made the announcement of killing off the headphone.

John B Good likes this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

By 'market', I didn't mean the stock market. I was speaking to the demand side of the consumer market.

That's entirely different. Apple is has a virtual monopoly on high-end gadgets perceived to be 'premium' and is perceived as a style/trend setter (I don't buy into it of course), so it does what it does for profit, safe in the knowledge that their loyal costumers will follow along realizing that they never needed a headphone jack! (lol).

8. ZoSo922

ZoSo922 New Member

I gotcha now, Stocks usually first thing that pop into my head.

I had always assumed DVD audio was going to kick off because it's a better advantage over CD, and do not know much of the technical aspects of Blu-Ray for superior HD Audio, but I don't really see that happening because the powers that be do not want that. Blu-Ray has been a standard now for 10 years and have not seen any Blu-Ray audio, pretty scary what will happen. Kinda like no one really expected the Milk-Man, Ice Man and Paper Boy (not fully yet)

We are still using old Internet technology years behind and not using Internet 2 and Internet 3. Super Super Super fast internet using a multi-color fiber cables, but that will be impossible to rip up the ground and installing that for each home. My theory for future internet is 5G or fatster 6G..etc. There will be a wireless hub station supporting the neighborhood that has a Fiber backbone and will broadcast 5G to the home.

9. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Not really relevant because digital Connections are and will be even more omnipresent - it's like saying in the 70s/80s "but what will you do with all your records when the electricity fails??"

10. ZoSo922

ZoSo922 New Member

There is a Solar panel , even for camping to use and it's small. I saw a Youtube video on it few years ago and can power on a audio device and laptop. Not sure how much it will cost or how long the juice will last, also if there nuclear winter or asteroid that hits earth and no sunlight , they everyone is really SOL. haha, well actually someone could rig a bicycle and someone peddle to generate power ?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There will always be connections, but the bigger point is that the connection interfaces will change over time. In fact, interfaces have an extremely high turnover rate (ask Apple). Where was DisplayPort 10 years or so ago?

12. Scott222C

And your point is ...... ? I don't really get it ......

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sorry, I have misread your comment. I thought that you were arguing that since there will always be 'connections' that old formats will always be readable. My bad. Nothing to see here... move along. :)

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm in the same boat. After us, the deluge :).

But of course, those who don't know (the young and the unaware), won't miss what they never had.

15. Scott222C

Ahh.. ok, glad it wasn't lack of comprehension skills on my part :wave:

16. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I believe the technology is here to create and maintain a long-term working device. Not just for this futurama storage medium but for many things.

It's the 'built-in obsolescence" or a controlled limited lifetime that the marketers and businessmen factor in that causes these dwindling legacies. That and the tossing out by the mass public for whatever reasons...even if it's only because of an 'out of fashion' view.

I don't understand why people embrace a throwaway culture if something is solid, functional, practical, lasts and is ongoingly superior.

Integrity is an old fashioned 'idea' too I guess...with those who embrace constant, not necessarily better, change because not all change is good. Discriminating minds see through this.

PH416156 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I haven't had a DVD-ROM drive that lasts longer than 6-7 years, tops, especially if it's used every single day. These formats are far more fragile than people want to believe.

At the professional level, I have seen LTO-3 backup tapes fail to the point where about 40 minutes of a 2-1/2 hour feature film was damaged. The facility I worked for almost got sued for a million dollars by the studio, and we wound up basically doing 6 months of film restoration work all over again for free. None of this stuff will last forever. There is no perfect long-term plan for data recovery, certainly not over 20 years. 300 years? You're dreaming.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. InfoNozzle

InfoNozzle Forum Resident

A few weeks ago I would've agreed with this, but I've since learned that Technicolor put Melies' A Trip To The Moon on a strand of DNA and stored it in a small bottle of liquid.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So? DNA is hardly a long term storage medium. It's way too fragile and error prone, even if kept under ideal lab conditions. Doing so for hundreds of years, you're dreaming. :)

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yes, but what if the DNA strand mutates?

21. InfoNozzle

It turns into its own sequel.

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  22. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Then you end up with something akin to a director's cut.

23. InfoNozzle

I recall now the idea was that it would be used for film preservation. The vial I saw on Home Theater Geeks had something like 100 copies on 100 strands to be used for error correction.

Brings new meaning to the term "gene splicing". :D

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This. I personally will always want a physical product.

25. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

It's not just me 'dreaming'.

Did you happen to read the story about the 5D chip ?

I was sent by the University of Southampton the text of the entire presentation they did I think in Las Vegas. It's about 30 pages long going into way more technical explaining that I understood..but I certainly understood enough to get the gist.

I've had cdr and dvd drives that lasted till my computer just quit. I believe that's a power supply problem in one...and a screen issue in the other. Those were 12 and 8 years respectively. Besides...those are moving drives...the optical glass dealy doesn't have that sort of mechanism. Yeah..I firmly believe that creators can CERTAINLY make devices and data storage last far longer than a few years. This new technology has the brightest hope yet...and yeah, it's hope on many levels....not just practicality and implementation...but 'marketers' allowance for longevity and not built in obsolescence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.