Queen On Air - The Complete BBC Radio Sessions- Nov. 4, 2016 release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhyeKing77

RhyeKing77 Forum Resident

Ironic how Freddie had a diploma in art and graphic design yet Queen Productions keeps lowering the bar substancially with their artwork on their releases.

supernaut, mr.dave, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

3 CD of just interviews?

What a wa$$$te!

They should've included all those interviews as a download bonus on the deluxe set, or something like that.

Give me Sao Paulo and Manheim complete instead

3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Has there ever been a true studio take released of the fast version of "We Will Rock You" or is the Beeb version the closest there is?

4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

It's the closest, they never play the fast version as a studio version for the News Of The World.

5. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

I've read a couple of times over the years that the Fast version was originally planned to open the Jazz album, whether that's true or not I can't say, and even if it is true, nobody knows whether or not it was actually recorded.

Regardless, this version is almost certainly the closest we'll get commercially. I hope they've kept that weird little bit with the woman talking in-between the two WWRY's.

6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

'March Of The Black Queen' is missing, even though it was just a slightly remixed version of the album track, and the Radio One 'Guitar Greats' programme about Brian May is not included.
    Crap packaging.

7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

We Will Rock You - Fast Studio Version" recording at BBC ssesion on Maida Vale Studios, October 28 1977.

8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree. They have made my decision easier about which version I will buy.

Had the deluxe set had the complete Golders Green I may have been tempted to go for it but since they have decided in their infinite wisdom not to include it I will just go for 2 disc version. But I am curious as to why they have not decided to include the full gig. Strange!

9. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

I believe this must be the most bizarre item on the band's discography. The random bonus disc and three discs of interviews make it look like a boot compiled by a fan with too much time in hand. Also, the reasoning behind the Golders Green incomplete release escapes me. I never liked this live compilation thing, especially when they mix very different eras in one single disc (Live Rare sucks!). This one stretches this concept to an entirely new ground with a 1974 incomplete set followed by São Paulo and this random Magic Tour concert. Wow!

Runicen likes this.
  10. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Who is in charge there at the Queen managment / recordcompany.
    Terrible covers lately and now a 3 disc interview???
    :cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

Give us MUSIC

Cousin It and Zephead2112 like this.
  11. longaway

longaway Senior Member

overall, I agree with you. There have definitely been more bad (or worse) covers than acceptable ones.

However...

I actually like this one, for the most part. I dig the simplicity of the stylized radio dial on a stark white background.

Nitpicks are available, of course. I do miss seeing new typography for the band name.

supernaut likes this.
  12. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

The soundwave design is gimmicky as ****. Too bad they added it on the inside, the pictures looked really nice.

I don't know what to say. I've complained for so long that they only depicted Queen as a one-man band, and know they don't even feature any member on their covers.

I mean this fan-made cover looked great with Mick Rock's picture (even if the band hated the session):
    [​IMG]

13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

That's the magic enchilada right there.

14. QueenVault

QueenVault Forum Resident

Use_Your_Koala, I made that cover as a placeholder on my website. I used the colors and fonts from At The BBC release in 1995. I do like the simple design of the actual cover though too.

15. pointprime

pointprime Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out hope that this will bring some quality versions of Queen classics. You never know.

16. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

After Innuendo the cover art of releases really went downhill. Only semi-decent ones were Made In Heaven and Rocks. I bet Freddie had a big say on how the album packages were presented.

Runicen likes this.
  17. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Sounds to me like a quad mix, of which you're only hearing two channels.
    I have an Incredible String Band BBC session that's certainly this and sounds awful.

18. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I actually... don't mind the overall sleeve design. The soundwave image is a bit vague, but the use of colour, fonts and spacing I actually find quite elegant (yeah I know, based on seeing one inch square images on my phone!)

It's a step up from the Odeon cover.

supernaut, Man at C&A and QueenVault like this.
  19. Any decent bootlegger would have included the complete São Paulo '81 and Mannheim '86 sets (which both circulate - in full, no less - from tape-sourced broadcast soundboard recordings) as standalone releases... Also, that cover art is just plain amateur!

20. Use_Your_Koala

I was on the fence about the deluxe set...but no book, no complete GG or Mannheim shows means I'm going with the 2CD set.

21. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Steaming great pile of rubbish.

Thank god the studio sessions and the Golders Green show are already available in wonderful quality as bootlegs. Sales of about 80 copies of the Deluxe have been estimated worldwide by a reliable source. :biglaugh:

22. Use_Your_Koala

Yeah that's where I took it from! No offense because I didn't credit you precisely :righton:
    It looks very nice, higher res would be perfect to replace the actual cover :)
    BTW, congrats about the website and the book.

QueenVault likes this.
  23. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I wish the other live shows were being released on vinyl also...Or at least the 1973 one.

24. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Why does the 3LP set cost more than the 6CD set? What sense does that make?

25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I can't imagine the LP set sounding any better than the CD set if the 2015 vinyl reissues (compared to the 2011 CD reissues) were anything to go by.

mr.dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.