Speakers to buy at or under $1000 for dual duty on music/home theater?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chiliarches, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident Thread Starter

Howdy all. I am currently running a pair of Klipsch Kg 4.5s. I switch between two receivers - a Pioneer VSX-523 for movies (using 2.1 channels with with a subwoofer) and a vintage SS Fisher receiver for music.

One of the Klipsch speakers is broken and is not worth fixing to me (I repaired it once already and I am too busy to tinker further), so I need new speakers. I am also considering experimenting with a Chinese tube amp in the near future (Jolida, etc.) so I would like something sensitive enough to be driven by tubes to "concert" volumes for classical and Jazz with tubes, though this is not a dealbreaker. My goal is a "big", "warm", "live" sound that feels like a concert hall when I am listening to music and can be cranked loud enough for action movies through the HT receiver - i.e., accuracy is not the number one priority. My music and movie room a of a medium size (16x24"), but is poorly laid out (assymetrical with a closet taking up 20% of the total dimensions) and has an open doorway with a small landing leading to stairs. I also have hardwood floors.

Here's a list of my thoughts on speakers that would work for me -

• ~$1000 for the pair
      • New or refurbished or a demo model or some other kind of deal where there is recourse if they have problems - I'd rather avoid the headaches of a Craigslist deal and I am tired of repairing things
    • Nice stable Floorstanders
      • Our first child will be born early next year, so bookshelves on stands would inevitably be knocked over. My current Klipsch speakers are great in this regard - heavy and stable.
    • I like my sound "warm" for music
      • Clinical accuracy is not as important as a "warm", "smooth" presentation, which I find more realistic overall for classical and jazz music
      • On some movies, my current Klipsch speakers are BLISTERING bright with the Pioneer HT receiver
      • I'd be willing to also consider getting a new receiver to go with the speakers if necessary to achieve this
    • I listen to classical (60%) and jazz (30-40%), with occasional country or blues.
    • I like realistic concert volume when I am doing dedicated listening to music and I like movies loud.
    • I think I tend to favor the sound of large woofers moving a lot of air(?). I compared decent bookshelves (Paradigm mini monitors) paired with a large subwoofer to my Klipsch floorstanders and the sense of SIZE was simply missing in the bookshelves, despite the augmented bass from the sub.
    I see a few options out on the internet - are there other, better options or would one of these be best?
    • Elac UF5
    • Wharfdale Diamond 10.7
    • Focal 726/727 (on sale in a few places)
    So what do you think?

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

2. Chiliarches

One more point - I listen to vinyl and CDs. Turntable is a Lenco L75 on a new plinth running a Denon DL-110.

Here's a not-to-scale drawing of my music/movie room - as you can see, it's challenging. The TV is placed in probably the only logical spot, so I am a bit stuck on the layout.

[​IMG]

3. Chiliarches

Any thoughts friends?:goodie:

4. james

james Summon The Queen

the speakers are backed up against cabinets/walls?

5. Chiliarches

They're typically set out about 18" from the cabinets and angled towards the center of the couch (not well depicted in the picture). I pull them out further sometimes.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

7. Chiliarches

Thanks for the suggestion, WaxFreak. I hadn't really considered Klipsch because the ones I have are so bright with my HT receiver and I was going more for warm.

It looks like they have an updated version out for the same price - the RP-280F. Know anything about those?

8. The Pinhead

Afraid you might find those brighter yet:(. But you'd be pairing them with tubes, so I'd at least audition them. Not ¨warm¨ by definition but dunno with tubes...maybe.

9. Chiliarches

Interesting, my quick search suggested they might have tamed the harshness of the R-28Fs in the 280 models with some added rubber..hmmm...

The tube thing is a "nice to have" that I am thinking of playing with - I'd settle for a less sensitive speaker if it's much higher quality and not harsh. I need these for double duty with Home Theater, remember.

10. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I owned the 4.5s and they were far from bright. Your problem may be that Pioneer receiver. I hate to say it but that is a pretty low budget affair that didn't get many good reviews on Amazon. If your pocket will allow it, look for new speakers and a receiver, perhaps a Yamaha.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. The Pinhead

I heard the same, but Klipsch are an will always be very revealing and detailed speakers, with a slight bump at 4 Khz ¨brightness¨ to some people. You either love them or hate them. Can't think of any speaker on this price range coming close in the sensitivity dept. , so if you could try them with your tube amp, you might like them, who knows. Taking an amp to a showroom is easier than returning the speakers after trying them at home and disliking them.

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

paradigm monitor 9 or better yet 11 if you find a deal. checks all of your boxes.

gingerly and Rick58 like this.
  13. dbturbo2

dbturbo2 Forum Resident

The Elac UF5's appear to be a great sounding option based upon all of the positive reviews. They weigh about 4o lbs and have a wide stable base that should be safe for the kids. And Crutchfield has a 60 day return policy if you aren't happy with them.

2point1 and Rick58 like this.
  14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I lusted after the Paradigm Monitor 11 ... seems like a great speaker, described as 'smooth' in a couple reviews I glanced over. I ended up spending more and getting Monitor Audio Silver 8s. I think I paid $1600 to Crutchfield for some scratch and dent models. Yep, they're a bit scratched and dented but sound great, drive them with a newer (now 2 year old model) Marantz AVR, bought along with them thru Crutchfield.

PS: The Elac UF5s do also appear to be excellent! Maybe a bit lowish sensitivity? I don't know how their real-world sensitivity compares to the Monitor 11 or Silver 8 ... probably not much different?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  15. Chiliarches

Are Yamahas known for being warm? I would think Marantz, Denon, etc. for that. I'd definitely be willing to get a new HT receiver if I conclude that the Pioneer is just too brash. I tried to watch Patton (most recent Blu Ray) with a friend the other day, and he literally couldn't stand the sound unless the treble was turned all the way down.

Thanks, I hadn't even considered those. I have another one to add the the list that you spoke well of in another - PSB Imagine X2T. How would these compare to the various other options mentioned (Elac, Paradigm, etc.?)

I've also seen the Boston Acoustics M350s spoken well of at their current sale prices...

16. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

I know that the OP has ruled out klipsch, but I have heresies in a similar setup. The horns sound like a 1960s theater to me, and the clarity for dialog is excellent.

sbayle and McLover like this.
  17. matteos

matteos Stereotype

You can get a set of the KEF Q700 on Accessories4less for around $1000

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

What ever you do, don't settle on those AV receiver/speaker packages in a box, with plastic speakers...:doh: I did that and returned it the same day, and spent more on the Speakers (music first).

Cyclone Ranger and Mazzy like this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Used Klipsch Heresy or Heresy II. Alternatively the Klipsch Forte or Forte II.

20. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

What about the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary model? $500 a pair from Music Direct.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Manimal and 2point1 like this.
  21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The PSB are nice but they are neutral with a bass kick and do not sound "warm". The Paradigms are very warm and smooth sounding with zero harshness, I really like them.
    Elacs are very neutral and even sounding, not warm at all.

22. Chiliarches

Sorry, need floorstanders or my newborn will eventually knock them over. :D

That sounds really good. So, should I buy break my "new only" rule and buy these? Are they as good a deal as they look? I'm about two hours away. They are V3s (the latest are V7s) - I'm not sure what generation your comments apply to.

LOCAL PICKUP ONLY Paradigm Monitor 11 V3 Floor Standing Speakers Black & Center »

23. Chiliarches

I'll raise you - you can get the Q900 on A4L $1200, which is in the ballpark. Anyone here like those?

24. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Monitor Audio were the first brand I thought to mention. One of the best at being good theater AND 2 channel speakers. I'd go listen to whatever they have in your price range.

Rick58 and Tim Irvine like this.
  25. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.