Something from Crowded House this year?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Great info here, sincere thanks to @Jaffaman and everyone else for contributing. Question that came up this morning: Is there any indication that the new main-album CDs will have the benefit of the new transfer? The vinyl descriptions specifically mention highest-available-res transfers, but I haven't seen same (or anything about improved sound) for main album CDs. Surely they would be ... right?

Also surprised by comments here and disappointed that they are apparently choosing to use the new transfers to source the vinyl but not for any hi-res downloads.

eelkiller and beetlesonique like this.
  2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Well, I'd certainly welcome a volume reduction with more dynamic range in the later albums...

theMess, Ryan Lux and Sean Murdock like this.
  3. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Has anyone seen anything that specifically says the original albums are remastered? The language in the tech paragraphs (using Woodface CD's as an example, below) indicates a fresh transfer used for CD as well as vinyl (which answers my earlier question), and of course there's a first master for each extras collection, but not a new mastering of the original album. Any chance we get a flat transfer from the Abbey Road setup and that's that?

"The original album audio is sourced from the highest resolution transfer from the original tapes by Abbey Rd and extra tracks mastered from a variety of sources (stereo cassettes, 4-track cassettes, ¼” 8-track tapes, ¼” stereo tapes, ½” stereo tapes, 2-inch 24-track tapes, Hi-8 8-track video cassettes, DATs, CD-Rs and digital audio files) by acclaimed mastering engineer Don Bartley (Benchmark Mastering)."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

A new transfer of the masters would by definition require a "remaster"; I think the question is whether there will be any changes from the original masters in terms of compression and EQ. Paul Sinclair at SuperDeluxeEditon (who usually is right on these details) says that the new album CDs will sound like the originals, just with a better transfer. I still hope that some effort has been made for consistent volume levels throughout the catalog, and I'll consider it a major failure if they haven't done that -- especially today in the iTunes / Spotify era. When I listen to my current "best of" playlist, drawn from the first four albums and Recurring Dream, the tracks get progressively louder with each CD. That issue should be one of the main arguments for doing a catalog remaster in the first place.

theMess and Paul H like this.
  5. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

By definition, yes, but I think we'd all agree that this group generally acknowledges a distinction between a flat transfer (followed by what one might call a "hands off" requisite pass through mastering software) and a "remaster" where different choices get made, whether for EQ/volume/etc. So far, it sounds like Paul Sinclair's characterization and the official technical descriptions are consistent.

I'd be fine with an effort to achieve some volume consistency across the catalog, too.

CM Wolff and Sean Murdock like this.
  6. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Yes, I concur. The CD of the first album is way too quiet, in particular. Woodface is probably the best mastering and I would hope they could achieve something similar for the others.

7. Paul H

You must have a different pressing to mine then. My copy has no headroom at all. But also no limiting.

8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I don't have access to it right now, but I think it is one of the original CDs. I think the first two albums are too quiet on CD, but the debut is the worst offender. Offhand, I think perhaps the only CD I own that is mastered more quietly is Rickie Lee Jones' Flying Cowboys. I would hope the first two could be boosted without limiting the peaks, at least compared to the masterings I own. Perhaps there are better ones out there that I simply haven't heard.

9. Paul H

Possibly. I bought my copy in 1992 so it's possibly a "silent" remaster. The first three (of my) albums are all of a similar volume; Together Alone shows signs of peak limiting. After that, things get a little nasty.

10. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Yes. It can get a little problematic when a track from the debut pops up next to a track from Afterglow in shuffle mode on my mobile listening device! :eek:

11. Paul H

That problem afflicts most every shuffle these days. My worry with these remasters is that they level match up, not down. I'd like Afterglow, Time on Earth and Intriguer to be quieter, not the first three louder.

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'd like a happy medium -- if all the albums could sound like Woodface, I'd be happy.

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  13. Paul H

Sean, I'd be utterly ecstatic if they all sounded like Woodface. I'd be happy if they all sounded like Together Alone, frankly (because, of course, I still have my existing pressings).

theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  14. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

I bought TOLM, woodface & together alone on CD when they had just come out so I'm certain they are original masters, not so sure about there 1st album as I got that mid way through the 90s and was not my favourite so didn't get many spins, back then in my teens late teens I knew about vinyl mastering and how it could effect sound but never gave much thought to CDs, thinking as they were digital they would all be the same, I first noticed the loudness effect around 95 as albums began to sound harsh and were distorted when listening through headphones, I just thought it was down to the type of music I was listening to at the time which was mainly UK indie bands and dance music..
    the three aforementioned crowded house albums always sounded beautiful to me on CDs, then I bought afterglow..
    There are some good songs on there but it's very loud and kind of looses that warm crowded house feel..
    Digging out that woodface vinyl this weekend to check out that sound, had a listen to it through headphones during the week (other half was sleeping) and have to say it sounded good, not as I remember, great levels and good stereo separation as you guys said, must have been a victim of my ortofon 2m red cartridge and old pre amp which gave a very flat sound to many albums I own.

15. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Wonder when these things are showing up on Amazon here in the States?

16. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Seriously.
    Six of the seven (missing Time On Earth) are up at amazon.ca, fwiw, and if you buy all 6, it looks like about USD $21.50/per including shipping to U.S. Shipping seems to vary some depending on number of sets being purchased, at least when I checked it.

17. Paul H

Dear me. $22 each. Amazon UK is selling these at £25 each.

18. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

An import of Intriguer has shown up at $40.
    The wait continues.

19. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Though you could argue that it's a little too clean at times, and bottom light, Woodface is a phenomenally good sounding CD. Demo quality.

theMess and Paul H like this.
  20. let him run...

$21.50 shipped is not bad at all.

eelkiller and BeSteVenn like this.
  21. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I'd like to see it on the U.S. site, but it is pretty tempting. Btw that price is with the middle "expedited international shipping (avg. 4-7 business days)" option. So you could go more/faster or cheaper/slower. It does list a November 4 release, unlike the Nov 18 for vinyl on Amazon U.S., but maybe that has more to do with the vinyl release particulars, I don't know.

22. let him run...

This whole lotta nothing regarding US sales is getting on my nerves. And NO, I'm not doing $30 each on the Universal Music site!

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

24. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

And yet for some reason Time on Earth shows up on US Amazon for $34 as of right now, while none of the others are orderable at all.

25. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Yeah, as an import. So still no domestic listings on Amazon US. However, the deluxe ToE is now listed for pre-order as a digital album (2-disc tracklist and everything). The "She Called Up" home demo is there for sample and purchase. Different approach, I like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.