Upgrading AV Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by V I Aboytes, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V I Aboytes

V I Aboytes Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently own Marantz SR5007. I would like to upgrade to something with WIFI that is at that price point. I like Marantz but I'm open to other brands.

I will use the receiver for music and video. please let me know what you guys would recommend.

V

2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

What are you using the WiFi for? My recommendation is always to never get caught up in internet services in a receiver or television as they come and go too much. An AppleTv or Roku, or whatever is nearly always better. I have a Sony TV with pretty good stuff (Android TV) but I still use my AppleTv for everything internet related.

With that in Mind, I think the Anthem MRX series (made by Sonic Frontiers) is the best thing going. Yes Arcam probably tops them, but at twice the cost (maybe more).

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If you like your current Marantz, just spend <$50 for a Wi-Fi bridge?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Are you asking because you need wifi to connect the Marantz to your network? Is ethernet connection not possible in your setup? If not , then SamS has he answer.
    Or do you want wireless to play music from another device to the Marantz? That model does have Apple Airplay, so it should show up as a device if you have iTunes. Or you can purchase the Marantz RX101 adapter for bluetooth.

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I too would say stick with the Marantz, if there is a simple cheap solution. Myself I still prefer using a cable going to the receiver over Bluetooth! :bone:

mdm08033 likes this.
  6. V I Aboytes

V I Aboytes Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input!

Believe it or not, the only reason I want WIFI is to be able to use the remote app! I live in a two story home and my internet modem is set up on the 2nd story so I don't have an Ethernet cable. I figured I would upgrade to a WIFI enabled receiver and move the 5007 upstairs where I have the option to plug it into an Ethernet cable.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Use homeplugs? They'll let you hook up to Eterhnet and use the house wiring to do it. Have a look at the Devolo site. I use a few of their products at home. Works a treat and no degradation in sound quality. Inexpensive too.

pdxway and mdm08033 like this.
  8. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

9. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Yeah, OP can also search for Powerline Adapter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.