Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Is the Real Royal Albert Hall Concert included in the big box?

2. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Absolutely, as well as the other real one. Plus the fake one!

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes everything will be in the 36 cd box and then later the Albert Hall show or a combination of the 2 (sorry I have not yet gone through the track listing) will be a stand alone 2cd and 2 lp vinyl release which is later in November. There were 2 shows at the RAH but I don't know which is the double cd/vinyl. Maybe someone else does.

bluesbro likes this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Man, that sounds better every time I listen.

The Band interplay, and Bob's phrasing....DAMN this is awesome.

5. ksuwdboots

ksuwdboots Active Member

The 5/26 show.

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thank you for that. I couldn't find a date for it on the websites I bought them from.
    Clinton Heylin's forthcoming book Judas will no doubt have lots more useful info and I would advise anyone buying the box to get a copy.

The Bard likes this.
  7. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I wonder which 1966 shows were recorded and then recorded over?

asdf35 likes this.
  8. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Back when he still had it. 25 years old. Makes me weep.

psychtrailmix, majorlance and asdf35 like this.
  9. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

Please no assembled songs, it's frustrating to see Dylan change suits a few times in one song wondering if he is actually singing or just play-backing. I don't want MTV-like concert footage, a steady camera on his face or something like that is more than enough.

TyroneSlothrop likes this.
  10. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Few more years and the Holographic 3D Concert Series will put you right in the front row of this stuff.

11. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

He still has it. It's different, but it's still there. He is 75 years old... It happens to everybody. (Everybody who doesn't die before getting old, I mean!)

12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

supermd, notesfrom, Newscot and 6 others like this.
  13. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

OK, so with the 36 disc set do we also get the new real royal Albert hall or do we have to buy both

14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

The 36-disc set is complete; it's every recording they have of every show, including both Royal Albert Hall shows.

15. ksuwdboots

ksuwdboots Active Member

[​IMG]

16. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Ahhh wish they released the last studio set in this format at this price - I would have totally bought it!

supermd and Carserguev like this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Awesome.

Just awesome.

Which concert is that from, do you know?

18. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'm not understanding why so many think this version trumps the version on Bootleg 4. Bob's distorted vocals that sound like he singing into a tin can are difficult for me to get past.

majorlance likes this.
  19. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Dublin, I think.

This and another full song...was it 'Visions Of Johanna'? We're uploaded by 'Ashes & Sand' in 2005, apparently from the aborted 'Something Is Happening' CORRECTION:
    "shot in Dublin by DA Pennebaker and Howard Alk. From the unreleased "Masks and Mirrors" " film and then very quickly removed.

More detail: "This is the original cut of the version I did for the Dylan office in 1982. We included it in an unreleased program called "Masks and Mirrors", which was seen only by Bob. Masks and Mirrors was heavily used by Martin Scorcese in "No Direction Home". However, the intro before the song was only in the original edit. ...you must have worked on No Direction Home."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Lars1966 likes this.
  20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

A bit of footage from Bob in Australia 1966 -
    Note the television cameras...

notesfrom and asdf35 like this.
  21. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

funky stage setup

is that rod serling earlier on?

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, wants a 1965 concert film and a 1966 concert film.

Except Dylan, apparently. He and his organization have been remiss in this regard.

The demand for it is white-hot. Excerpts in the documentaries just feed the demand for more.

But no concert was filmed in its entirety; there are long stretches of performance with equally long stretches of gaps here and there.

Perhaps the best approach would be to match what film there is to the continuous audio. When the film runs out, keep the audio going until the film matches up again. In the spaces where there is no film, insert photos and freeze-frames. That way there is a continuous uninterrupted performance of sound and image. Do this for each concert that has audio and video. As an option on the menu, include a shorter edit of the footage with matching sound letting it stop and start as it does. This is an obvious editorial approach, and I'm sure the Dylan organization has thought of it.

jvs52 likes this.
  23. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

From Andy Greene's Twitter account today (Rolling Stone writer)

[​IMG]

voles, superstar19, ronbow and 43 others like this.
  24. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

Agreed. A complete single show would be ideal. A show made up of complete song performances taken from different concerts would be less ideal, but still very welcome at this point. Anything that clips together bits of the same song from different nights to make some kind of Frankenstein "performance" would just be a frustration.

25. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

hahahaha, sorry guys. I had a brain fart. I was reading the big write up on bobdylan.com and it said the RAH show was 5/26/66 and when I looked at the track list of the big set for whatever reason it didn't register that RAH is indeed in London haha...ok moving on!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.