Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yes, just what we need. Yet another remastering of Yellow Submarine!

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  2. The Beatles Psychedelic Box 50th Anniversary set. Sgt Pepper. MMT SFF Penny Lane and everything that surrounds 1967. :tiphat:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I had a vantage point most people did not have as a very young teacher with students just a shade or two below me in age. Over the course of the years I have had multi thousands of students - spent 50 years now of my life with young people and their music - much of which is my music. I can honestly say I didn't see the Beatles or anyone else sending kids off to the netherworld. I saw a lot of very hip, happy, exciting and excited kids. Now if you were to bring this same question up to my mother, she would give you the answer that we are all card carrying Satanists! I base my comment on what I observed over many years - a half century - and, of course, it does not include the entire population of kids.

Skywheel and dewey02 like this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Agree! That was my point...perspective is everything! :magoo: :D

CCrider92 likes this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He doesn't say that's a Beatles project. The second thing he mentions isn't.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Or Giles is just dropping some acid... ;)

7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Yeah, but if we know Apple it'll be, "The Beatles psychedelic era! All of their mind bending songs, NOW in one package." :shake:

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Includes Dizzy Miss Lizzie!"

EddieMann likes this.
  9. That would actually be a cool set imho.

10. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

And Don't Let Me Down, takes 345-783.

11. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I love the "MMT" Blu-Ray deluxe box from 3-4 years ago, but that sounds incredible Mazzy!

Just have a whole Beatles "1967" box-arguably there most artistic year together. The possibilities are endless. An "Immersion Box" indeed!
    Calling Jeff Jones............:cop:

drum_cas and Mazzy like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I did a comp of the psych years, starting with "Tomorrow Never Knows", including Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, It's Only a Northern Song", Strawberry Fields Forever"and "It's All Too Much" etc. I think I added a couple of George's Wonderwall tracks also. It's a fun listen for fans of their psych era, which I definitely am.

I may have added "Im Only Sleeping" and "Rain" also. I'd have to look at it again.

13. EddieMann

Yes it would. But I can do that myself. Give me something new! (Oops, looks like I have a couple of copies of that already too :p )

14. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

A compilation of 67' era tracks using alternate takes would be interesting. Bonus track would include "Carnival Of Light".

15. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I think a 1967 box set or a Pepper box set would be the only perfect home for Carnival of Light, with that and alternate takes, it would be the greatest!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Watching the documentary at the theater and a couple of times on Hulu and listening to the re-done Live at the Hollywood Bowl album has renewed my interest in their live performances.

So...I dug down in the basement and came up with my VAP VHS video tape of the dark suits concert and popped it in my VHS player (yes, I still have one) and put on the Senheisers and took a look at my 60" flatscreen.
    [​IMG]
    I was actually pretty impressed. The video quality isn't great (not surprisingly) but the audio was pretty well recorded and the Beatles actually played much better than I remembered other than on just a few songs. I think this performance is much maligned when it really isn't too bad.

I especially enjoyed actually HEARING John's rhythm guitar coming through loud and clear on all of the songs. That's a rare treat, as on Hollywood Bowl and most other live performances it is barely discernable, if at all.

I always get a laugh out of those spinning microphones though. Mal Evans should have been given a good kick in the pants for not securing the mikes, just a bit of duct tape or electrical tape would have done it. Even so, I was surprised how well the mikes picked up their voices even when pointing in the wrong direction.

So if you've not watched your Budokan concert in a while, dig it out of your closet, blow the dust off of it (and your old VCR) and have a go. It's a fun time.

17. Glenn Christense

There are a couple of complete versions of "Fixing a Hole" recorded at Regent, the longer "Flying", a sixteen minute jam, a drum track (titled "Anything" I think) and enough other leftovers to make a 1967 set interesting. I'm sure we don't really need a complete 16 minute jam or a long drum thing, but getting a taste of them would be interesting.

18. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

A cheaper version could have a short and sweet version, but if I pay for an expensive box set(that probably won't happen) it better have every second :laugh:

19. Glenn Christense

Of course. If we are dreaming, we may as well dream big. :D

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this though. I doubt we will see anything like it.

I really enjoy listening to the Pepper multitracks broken down though once in awhile. It's a fascinating peek into what went into the finished mixes,um,..before the stereo and mono mixes were finished. :p

20. Glenn Christense

I don't own a version of it but I've seen video of the Japanese dark suit concert where the video looked mint, almost like watching a current TV show. I wasn't seeing it on a 60" TV either though.
    Maybe blowing it up to that size blurs it out.

Years ago there was a guy at Beatlefest selling it.

P.S. I thought it looked better than this:

But maybe I'm remembering it looking better than it did and I'm mistaken. It was a long time ago.

zipp, dewey02 and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  21. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

The guitar's all very well as a hobby, John, but you'll never make a living out of it. -- Mary Elizabeth "Mimi" Smith (John Lennon's aunt and legal guardian)

[​IMG]

22. EddieMann

Hey, that's pretty good!

23. Glenn Christense

Yes, and actual color, not colorized. Ah, forget I mentioned colorizing Beatles film. It's not relevant to this discussion. Nobody would colorize Beatles live footage or press conferences would they ?
    That would be stupid! :p ;)

P.S. I'm not sure I've ever seen a band as mic/mic stand challenged as the Beatles. :D
    It seems like out of almost all the live footage I've seen of them , one or more of them are having a microphone spinning around, too low, or some other easily fixed problem!

It's like Mal or whoever never really screwed the mic clip tight to the mic stand and/or tightened the mic clip itself so the mic wouldn't droop down.

ex_mixer, Wingsfan2012 and EddieMann like this.
  24. So Pepper like the Pet Sounds Box?

25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

(If this has been brought up somewhere, forgive me.)

I've now seen the film twice, and have a question about something from the 1966 section. There is mention of the Beatles having the first three months off for filming of their 1966 movie, but the film never materialized. I did not realize that there was (apparently) talk of some sort of follow-up to Help! Any info as to what the plan was?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.