Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

Since you brought up the comparison, I can vividly remember 20-25 years ago, hearing any number of catchy, melodic, Beatlesque gems on the radio, and lamenting to myself, "These guys are doing McCartney better than McCartney can!" Crowded House's "Better Be Home Soon" was a striking one, along with songs from Michael Penn, Matthew Sweet, World Party, etc. Thankfully, Paul re-discovered himself in the late 1990s, but for awhile there was always a bittersweet element to hearing so much great McCartney-esque music, and none of it was by Paul himself.

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  2. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

All my mother played when I was younger!

jlf, theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  3. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

With September now passing quickly and October 1st this Saturday, it looks more and more like 2017 for this..........and change that record label at the bottom while we are at it........

[​IMG]

4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Realistically, I think tomorrow is the last day for any 2016 announcement. Looking more and more likely that it's going to be at least July next year.

As others have said, let's take that as a positive that it would appear that the Archive series will continue with Capitol and isn't ending on a Flowery note with Concord.

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  5. paulmccartneyistheman

We are indeed running out of time folks, I don't think this will happen this year.

If we take Etcetera's schedule at face value and assume it was real to begin with

Fall 2016 - Flowers In The Dirt
    Spring 2017 - New Album
    2017/18- High In The Clouds movie

The new schedule could be

Spring 2017 - Flowers In The Dirt
    Summer/Fall 2017- New album
    2018- High In the Clouds

And yes, its true, Paul McCartney and the fine folks at MPL don't owe me anything, or any of us anything, but I would LOVE to see them explain the future a little more. Even just by saying "The Archive Collection is on a temporary hold until *blank*". It won't happen, but whatever. No Paul McCartney product this Christmas Season is going to be bad. I might have extra money to spend on other people :realmad:

:laugh:

6. Wingsfan2012

Yeah that is a way to look at it in a positive spin

7. Wingsfan2012

Very true. Or you can flip flop and maybe his new album is Spring 2017, and after a couple singles maybe late Summer 2017 for "FITD"?

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  8. paulmccartneyistheman

I think I've made it known enough that I personally hope that's the case :hide:

:D

theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  9. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Well, it seems 2016 is likely going to be the first year this century with not one single (officially) unreleased McCartney track being made available. Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones and the Estate of David Bowie may profit...but in this life I'll never understand the business practices of MPL ..

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Have there really been previously unreleased McCartney tracks every year this century???

11. paulmccartneyistheman

That's insane, you're right. I mean, even in 2014 we got Hope For The Future!! :p

theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

So the Skype emoji jingles didn't satisfy your thirst for new Macca music!!?? :shrug:

theMess, Mr. Explorer, Yorick and 6 others like this.
  13. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

2000: "Maybe Baby"
    2001: "Driving Rain" album
    2002: "Back in the U.S." live album
    2003: "Back in the World" live album/"Whole Life"
    2004: "Tropic Island Hum"
    2005: "Chaos And Creation In The Backyard" album
    2006: "Ecce Cor Meum" classical album
    2007: "Memory Almost Full" album
    2008: "Electric Arguments" Fireman album
    2009: "Good Evening New York City" live album/"I Want To Come Home"/"Meat Free Monday"
    2010: "Band On The Run" with the "One Hand Clapping" tracks released 1st time officially
    2011: "Oceans Kingdom"/"McCartney 1 and 2" outtakes released 1st time officially
    2012: "Kisses On The Bottom"/"Ram" outtakes officially
    2013: "New"
    2014: Hope For The Future"/"Venus And Mars" and "WATSOS" outtakes and demos
    2015: "Tug Of War" and "Pipes Of Peace" outtakes and demos
    2016: ???

14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Ha! I wish I had the radio you were listening to. Back then we had a diet of techno techno techno. I'd have been quite happy hearing a diet of McCartneyesque music by anyone.

theMess likes this.
  15. Paul H

We've had two remix singles of Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five. Tenuous, I know, but no more tenuous than Ecce Cor Meum.

theMess, supermd, Eska68 and 2 others like this.
  16. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

Does anyone here have the exact timeline of archive collection announcements (not the coming soon cards) and the subsequent release dates?

17. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Well the last reissue was in October 2015 with months of first announced, more than what is left for the year. Concord is done with McCartney. It's obvious now.

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

theMess likes this.
  19. Paul H

Well found.

theMess likes this.
  20. Did I ever?

You might be right unfortunately. I believe War and Peace were announced in like June or July for an October release. On the bright side, as others recently noted, that might mean Flowers (which we know is coming eventually), will be a Capitol release. That would be an encouraging sign of a continuing archive campaign!

21. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't think anybody on the planet has given that Flowers in the Dirt "Coming Soon" card as much attention as we have.

Who knows, the Archive Collection might be finished. Capitol may do it's own thing... and release it only in Canada and Japan

[​IMG]

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  22. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Question for McCartney scholars: today I found a copy of Memory Almost Full in a SACD-like case. Anybody know what this is?

23. Did I ever?

I don't think so - McCartney was very specific and excited about Flowers... Remember it was only a July interview when he said, "You know why, because it’s about to be reissued. It’s our next big box set. We’re working on that at the moment..."

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  24. For the Record

That's just the standard release. It came in a case like that.
    [​IMG]

Wingsfan2012 and Johnny Reb like this.
  25. For the Record

He also said in the video "In the World Tonight" that they were "working on" Tropic Island Hum... That was 1997. It came out in 2004.
    Not saying you're wrong, but delays and cancellations can always happen... That being said, I hope that doesn't happen.

theMess, Frank and Did I ever? like this.