HELLO, GOODBYE: The Beatles in Tokyo, 1966 (Ltd. Edition, photo book, Nov 2016)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chiu.0606, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiu.0606

Chiu.0606 Forum Resident Thread Starter

News - 01 Jul 2016 »

News - 18 Jul 2016 »

HELLO, GOODBYE: The Beatles in Tokyo, 1966 »

Unseen! The Beatles In Tokyo, 1966 | MOJO »

News - 01 Jul 2016
    This Day in 1966: The Beatles in Tokyo

Today, 50 years ago in 1966, The Beatles performed their first ever concert in Japan, at the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo. Their visit was controversial, with many objecting to a rock concert at such a traditional venue.

The Beatles arrived late, delayed by a storm that many dubbed The Beatles Typhoon. Despite the weather and the controversy, the band’s show packed out the 14, 000-seat arena. Their success proved a milestone for pop acts in Japan when they were followed to the Budokan by Bob Dylan, Led Zepplin and others. Today the Nippon Budokan hosts musicians from all around the world.

To celebrate this exciting anniversary, Genesis Publications are publishing a new, limited edition book of photographs taken throughout the band's stay in Japan, entitled HELLO GOODBYE: The Beatles in Tokyo, 1966.

To find out more about HELLO GOODBYE: The Beatles in Tokyo, 1966, click here.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Beatles in Tokyo: Preview in Mojo
    Exactly 50 years after The Beatles played their first ever show in Tokyo, Japan, Genesis Publications is releasing a new book of rare photos from their trip. Celebrating the band’s visit to the legendary Nippon Budokan, HELLO, GOODBYE: The Beatles in Tokyo, 1966, will offer a collection of pictures by Shimpei Asai, the only Japanese photographer to be given official access to The Beatles during this time.

This week in Tokyo, Mr Asai began signing the signature pages that will be placed in each limited edition of this upcoming book. A photographer and filmmaker who splits his time between various art projects, and his Seaside Museum in Chiba, Asai captured The Beatles in a new, intimate light during their Tokyo visit in 1966.

In an exclusive preview, Mojo says: "Through Shimpei Asai’s intimate lens, The Beatles seem relaxed in the eye of the storm. His beautifully presented Genesis collection captures the quartet on stage, chilling out, in Noh theatre masks, playing kotos in kimonos.”

HELLO, GOODBYE: The Beatles in Tokyo, 1966will offer a rare chance to follow the band through part of their last worldwide tour, and gain a glimpse into their time on and off stage.

For the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ 1966 Tokyo concerts, Genesis Publications announces an upcoming limited edition of rare photos of the trip. Taken by Japanese photographer Shimpei Asai, these pictures have never before been published outside Japan.

Asai is the only Japanese photographer to have been given access to The Beatles in Tokyo, and his photos have remained unknown to most outside Japan. They offer an intimate portrait of The Beatles in their first trip to the country, capturing their time on and off stage.

'A lush new Genesis tome.' - MOJO Magazine

HELLO, GOODBYE: The Beatles in Tokyo, 1966 will ship from November 2016, and will prove an essential edition for any collector or Beatles fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    ZackyDog likes this.
  2. Chiu.0606

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

:doh:

halfjapanese likes this.
  4. Chiu.0606

You have good eyes :righton: I've just corrected the typo from pubisher info.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  5. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

This is good stuff, I find the Beatles in 1966 to be the coolest looking period in regards to clothes etc. with the possible exception of Hamburg which is light in regard to colour photos.

6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Ordered! These 350 deluxe copies will go fast.

7. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Photos from all five shows they gave in Tokyo. First image is from the evening of June 30, the next two/top and bottom are respectively from the daytime and nighttime of July 1, and the last two/top and bottom are respectively from the daytime and nighttime of July 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Chiu.0606

9. Jerry Horne

Coming next from Genesis Books:

McCartney, Japan 1980.

"EIGHT JAIL GUARD ARMS TO HOLD ME".

Beatledust and Vahan like this.
  10. Chiu.0606

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

@Chiu.0606

Sorry; my separate thread on this topic was redundant to yours. :(

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How many photos are in the book ?

13. Chiu.0606

Hey, no problem. We just help giving this book a bit more promotion, otherwise the wealthy Beatles fans might have missed this expensive collectors item. :)

Here's the spec:
    Signed by: Shimpei Asai
    Contributors: Allan Kozinn
    Paper: Heavyweight 200gsm archival grade matt art paper
    Box: Solander box
    Extras: 10" x 8" signed print
    Published Nov 2016
    Page size: 250mm x 320mm
    224 pages
    5000 words
    185 images
    Only 350 Deluxe copies
    Hand-bound in leather
    Cloth-covered case
    £495.00

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    alexpop and ZackyDog like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thx !!!

15. Jerry Horne

Deluxe edition is Sold Out.

16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Is the "Deluxe Edition" planned to be the only edition for this book? Or will a more affordable edition be released later for those of us who don't have £495.00 to spend on a photo book?

17. Jerry Horne

Copies 1 thru 350 are 'Deluxe'.

Copies 351 thru 1966 are 'Collector' and go on sale soon for, I'm predicting, £295.00

Nothing else has been announced.

Trashman likes this.
  18. I love the Genesis Books. They are collectors editions and obviously not for everyone. As far as I recall Harrison's I Me Mine and Ringo's Postcards and Photographs are the only ones ever released later as normal Trade editions. I don't recall any of the others by photographers ever released in that way. But you never know.

19. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I could possibly see myself springing for a Collectors Edition if they cut the price in half from the Deluxe Edition. (If it's around tax refund time, I'd be even more likely to go for it.) But I also have a shelf full of other photography books that rarely get opened, so I have to consider if the subject of the Tokyo visit is interesting enough to invest in.

20. Yeah they'll never be half price. These books are amazing art objects. All painstakingly handmade. I ages a inserts tipped in. Quality all around. Need profit for the artist and publisher too.

Almost every Genesis book has increased in value several times over.

Im a fan of their creations but I get how their price is above the reach and or desire of many. That's why they are very limited .

21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

What I meant was that I hoped the Collector's Edition would be half the price of the Deluxe Edition. Based on his post above, Jerry Horne is predicting that the Collectors Edition may be around £295.00... which is getting close to be half the price. If that is the case, I could see myself considering the Collector's Edition.

Jerry Horne and Mazzy like this.
  22. Jerry Horne

23. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Just one man's opinion -- the pictures of these concerts are a hell of lot cooler than the sounds from these concerts.

pablo fanques likes this.
  24. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

God damn genesis publications for such awfully high prices. Can't there be simpler editions without fancy shmancy covers but simply normal prints for plebs?

25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

It's not just fancy covers, the books are huge...

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.